Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Data Mine: 535i Stock turbo

Hey everyone,
    Im new to this forum and dont have the knowledge to understand all this data from my 4th gear pull. Im looking to get a base line dyno in the morning. I was wondering if any one would be willing to look at the data and let me know if anything looks out of the ordinary? I ran map 7 in 4th gear see the attached files for graph and data. I have DCI and JB4 bms pump flash. Im looking to make 3 pulls tomorrow: Baseline, Map 2 and Map 7 all using 100 Rebel 100+.

thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,
    Johns
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Few notes:

1) Update your JB4 firmware to ISO 28 and set CPS7000 to the appropriate value for your DME firmware to enable 6-cylinder timing monitoring.

2) Start your logs at less than 2K RPMs in 3rd gear or higher to get a good snapshot of system response.

3) You're running fairly rich above ~4800 RPM and your trims are pretty low (datum zero for trims on the JB4 is 20). Your FOL (open loop fuel) has learned down almost as much as the JB4 will allow it to auto-learn (40). Recommend lowering it manually and possibly setting FUD to 2 to keep it from auto-learning back up. The best way to go is with a 3D fuel scalar--if you're interested download V8Bait's tuning spreadsheet in the downloads section for more information.

4) Even with the fuel you're running your timing doesn't look good. Was this run done with the (assumed) 100 octane fuel you're describing? IIRC, the BMS pump flash targets ~9* of timing advance at the top end whereas you're only seeing 6* @ 5500 RPM with a good amount of timing pull. Your IATs are getting a little high towards the end of the pull--do you still have your stock FMIC?

5) Your turbos are quite healthy.

Note that instead of maps 2 and 7, you may want to try map 3 and progressively increase your meth additive to increase boost between dyno runs until you find a happy medium. There's a good write-up on using map 3 without meth on Terry's forum...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, I just noticed--increase your BoostFailSafe to 19.5 or so if you want to target more than 17.5 psig of boost. The JB4 will limit boost to 0.5 psig below the BoostFailSafe setpoint.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EvanL,
    Thanks so very much for replying. With your response i have quickly learned that I need to start doing huge amounts of research. I don't fully understand some of the tasks you have stated above. Its my ignorance which I will try to remedy.

1. I have updated my JB4 to firmware 27.10
    a. I have not disconnected my resistors on the JB4 G5 ISO board. Should I? I am not confident
    that I understand what that will do and if it will be detrimental. I have a lack of bolt-ons.

2. Please see my attached run on a dyno. please note I flashed the ECU with "BMS Race AT". This is not a permanent option as of yet because of the cost of 100+ octane ($8 per us. gal). Merely wanted to see what number I could produce without bolt-ons.

3. I will check out v8bait's tuning spreadsheet

4. The first run I posted was using 100 octane. I live in Henderson, NV - the ambient temp at the time of the run was 92-95F. I have the stock FMIC and no Meth Ing.

5. My turbo's were replaced under factory warranty 3000 miles ago and I baby'd them in the beginning. I also have a new transmission and turbo plumbing. I threw a limp code with no JB4 and BMW NA didn't like my ecu's data so they said to replace the turbos. The day I received the car back we went for a drive - No hard runs - apparently tech didn't attach the transmission oil line properly and it came off and drained oil. Transmission Fault and failure, towed to the dealer and transmission was replaced. I received the car for the 2nd time and threw limp codes on acceleration with the AC on. BMW then replaced all the turbo piping to combat leaks. No problems since.

6. I will read the thread that Terry wrote on Meth.

Thanks for all the info and I apologize for my ignorance. I am drinking water through a fire hose.

Cheers,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the ambient is near 100F the OE front mount is completely inefficient. I'd be interested to see the charge temps at the end of a pull.

Point is the car could be pulling out timing as a result of that.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I posted my log from the dyno run I did on 8.6.14 I wanted to attach my dyno graph. Would love to hear some input on it. I hope to add DP's to release the back pressure when on boost. Hopefully I can get my HP and torque numbers to be closer to each other. Tons of torque. Thanks for looking

-John