Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Proven Power Single Turbo Review and Sunday Drive with a HTA3586r

Ok, so I went out and did some pulls today on wastegate spring. (17psi). Cobb PTF Pro-tune. Haven't really dialed things in yet, but will soon unless car is sold, then I suppose the new owner will and up the boost and add some injectors via the AEM EMS system wired up. Click here to enlarge

Real quick, before you get to the video. I want to thank Proven Power, Terry @BMS and Jake @PTF. Proven Power built an awesome car, and I feel that I have gained friends there from the build. Truly a great team and they do care about their customers and their cars.

On the tuning side. Terry has done a great job creating something that basically gets you off and running "out of the box". The ease of use and simplicity the JB4 offers for stock frame turbos translates right into the world of large frame single turbos.

However, it had its flaws, and driveability were a bit to be desired. Power was great at WOT, but partial throttle was really not smooth at all, and this was consistent even changing FF to 0 and letting it lean it's way up.

Recently I switched over to the PTF tuning method of basically stcking with the Cobb AP, and once ready to take things to the next level, utilizing an insanely versatile AEM EMS. I must say, power delivery is much smoother, car is more responsive, and car feels just as strong at 17psi as it did on the JB4 at 20psi. Best yet, we haven't even tweaked the tune yet! I'm very happy I have made the switch. I do not want people to think I am bashing the JB4 in any way, understand it has it's features as well, but so far the way the car drives is far superior over the way it drove with the JB4. Thank you @Jake@PTF !

I have not raised boost beyond the wastegate spring of 17psi yet, but am not running meth right now and the fuel system is struggling. Could be a LPFP going bad, or just too much e85, but with fuel system upgrades on the horizon, I have not replaced the pump yet, and will just keep the boost conservative until that is released.

A few specs on the car:

09' 335i N54 e92 coupe
    Proven Power Single Turbo Bottom Mount kit with ceramic coating and a Forced Performance HTA3586r turbo with Tial v-band ceramic coated hot side.
    ETS 7" intercooler, ETS chargepipe, Tial BOV
    Custom single downpipe to custom midpipe to Active Autowerke dual exhaust system. (really love the sound)

Click here to enlarge

Last edited by mjmarovi; 08-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Turbo sounds amazing. Can't wait to see some dyno numbers!!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

i like how you kept the coolant overflow reservoir on the left side lol. nice kit. great turbo choice! many will see its benefits soon if not already lol
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what boost controller u r running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    what boost controller u r running?
    This video was just off of wastegate pressure, but an AEM EMS is also wired in for boost control, and a couple other future goodies like PI and nitrous, and may re hook-up meth as well. E40 is in the tank right now, and to keep that strong of a mixture I'll need a stronger fuel supply, luckily PTF PI system is just around the corner, and even if I didn't feel like waiting the tuning is already there, could easily install some injectors and wire them up in. With the car for sale though, I'm leaving the fueling option up to the buyer.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get it on the dyno before you sell it!!

On part throttle control there is no control below the WG spring. It's just going to make whatever boost your gas pedal input and physics dictate. If you happen to have the flash mapping setup such that the DME wants less boost than the WG spring and physics dictate it's going to get lumpy. The easiest solution is to set up the flash such that the DME is never asking for less than the WG spring, RPM, and pedal input will produce. You'd have to work that out for each kit though. I've only done it for the FFTEC setup.

I don't see the point of adding the AEM system in the mix. For controlling the port injection the easiest solution is to use an Aquamist PWM meth controller. CPE has a similar setup we're thinking of putting on the 135i. If I do it I'll write JB4 software to control it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Get it on the dyno before you sell it!!

On part throttle control there is no control below the WG spring. It's just going to make whatever boost your gas pedal input and physics dictate. If you happen to have the flash mapping setup such that the DME wants less boost than the WG spring and physics dictate it's going to get lumpy. The easiest solution is to set up the flash such that the DME is never asking for less than the WG spring, RPM, and pedal input will produce. You'd have to work that out for each kit though. I've only done it for the FFTEC setup.
    Yeah, I understand, not trying to start a tuning war or anything, for my personal preference and direction I just knew this was the route to go. Large frame turbo tuning will be the same as stock frame turbos in the sense there will be more than one option and some will prefer one over the other for different reasons. I appreciate your help from the start Terry, and hope there was no offense taken in this review. Depending on what happens with the sale of this car I will get the LPFP side of things upgraded and see what happens on the dyno. I just hate to buy a new LPFP and then have it replaced again for the new LPFP setup for the PI setup...LOL $400 down the drain...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

No offense taken! This stuff is all new and the best way to handle things is still being sorted out. Every few days I get another idea for a bit of code to improve the single turbo software and I'm always interested in how other people tackle the same tuning situations I come across to either reinforce how we're handling them or to come up with a possible improvement. So by all means share what is working well for you so we can keep that firmware moving forward. I'd be interested to know what the AEM system is adding to the equation. It seems like it would be a step backwards vs. a CANbus integrated system like the JB4.

What is the fuel pump situation now? With meth and a 255 inline ($200) you should be OK up to 700rw IMHO. At least long enough to dyno and get some fun track runs in.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-03-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The car sounds awesome. Looks awesome, Im upset that you're selling it. Incredible!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No offense taken! This stuff is all new and the best way to handle things is still being sorted out. Every few days I get another idea for a bit of code to improve the single turbo software and I'm always to interested in how other people tackle the same tuning situations I come across to either reinforce how we're handling them or to come up with a possible improvement. So by all means share what is working well for you so we can keep that firmware moving forward. I'd be interested to know what the AEM system is adding to the equation. It seems like it would be a step backwards vs. a CANbus integrated system like the JB4.

What is the fuel pump situation now? With meth and a 255 inline ($200) you should be OK up to 700rw IMHO. At least long enough to dyno and get some fun track runs in.
    I think the OE LPFP is toast and meth was disguising it for a little while, and no that meth is gone it's prevalent at 17psi...lol. So no more WOT pulls until that pump is replaced. I may just go ahead and order the pump tomorrow anyway just so that I can dyno it myself before selling, even though I would think and hope that whoever buys it does a complete fuel system upgrade.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If I may ask, why are you selling the car? Seems like you put a lot of time, effort and money to get it to where it is now. Why stop short of seeing it through to the end and enjoying it for a while?
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    If I may ask, why are you selling the car? Seems like you put a lot of time, effort and money to get it to where it is now. Why stop short of seeing it through to the end and enjoying it for a while?
    I don't mind you asking at all! I am honestly more interested in other toys, and really want to buy a house. Selling this car will allow me to pay it off, buy another toy cash, and have no payments, so free up my monthly budget for a mortgage. The cost just isn't worth it to me.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I think the OE LPFP is toast and meth was disguising it for a little while, and no that meth is gone it's prevalent at 17psi...lol. So no more WOT pulls until that pump is replaced. I may just go ahead and order the pump tomorrow anyway just so that I can dyno it myself before selling, even though I would think and hope that whoever buys it does a complete fuel system upgrade.
    Do you have an inline yet? If not try that first. My 135i with a new OEM pump could barely fuel 17psi too. With the 255 inline added no issues up to 620whp so far.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have an inline yet? If not try that first. My 135i with a new OEM pump could barely fuel 17psi too. With the 255 inline added no issues up to 620whp so far.
    Yeah, the inline is already installed. LPFP psi stayed at 40psi during the last pull, so I'm guessing the OE pump is toasted, or it's possible the walbro is toast from the way it was originally installed.

Click here to enlarge