Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Modification of Cobb OTS RACE Map for Stage 1+ 93 Octane - Please review these logs

Hello,
    With our PTF friends busy at Bimmerfest East, and my being unable to attend because of family reasons despite being a two hour drive away (Click here to enlarge), I explored using Cobb Access Tuner Race with some suggestions from our good friend @Wedge.
    Starting with the Cobb OTS Race map, I modified it for use on my Stage 1+ '08 335xi Alpina B3 AT using good ol' Shell Octane 93 (no downpipes....yet!). (Thanks for the suggestion, Wedge. I will definitely be making a contribution!)
    I mainly adjusted the high load / high rpm timings down about 5.0 degrees (from 13.5 to 8.5) in the main timing table, and then adjusted the timing entries in the right half of the main table to smooth out the "rpm v load v timing surface". I made a few adjustments to the spool table as well. An intermediate adjustment of only 4 degrees to the main table was actually too aggressive, so this is learning iteration number 1 for me. This Datazap log seems to show that the timing during WOT is okay, but shifting from 3rd to 4th resulted in timing corrections on three cylinders; perhaps this was due to the overboost? My STFTs are also maxing out at 34 around 4000 rpm before coming down, which also concerns me (my previous PTF protune had STFTs maxing out in the mid-20s, but loads were set to 185, not 190 as here).
    Before commenting, please also consider:
    a) I forgot to turn off DTC. Click here to enlarge
    b) This run was obtained at 68F.
    c) I manually shifted 3rd-4th
    d) I had reset ECU, but did not reset Lambda adaptations.
    e) I have 15,000 miles on the current plugs
    f) Oil temps were in the 210F-220F all morning (Thanks Terry for a great little Tstat delete valve! Click here to enlarge).
    g) To help set adapatations I drove for about 15 miles at 3000 rpm and made three prior WOT runs before this log.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!Click here to enlarge
    http://www.datazap.me/u/jeffman/v31-...11-129&mark=11

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump for feedback...
    2008 E90 335xi AT 58K MILES - FAILING XFER CASE MOUNT
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT TBI & STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPSClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    1) Recommend starting your runs at or below 2K RPMs in 3rd gear. This gives a much better snapshot of overall system response.

2) Your LPFP is tanking above ~4500 RPM. Recommend replacing the stock bucket and adding a series booster pump. SteveAZ is your friend here.

3) STFTs are maxed out from 3500 - 4700 RPM, but you already know this. Tuning the 3D fuel scalar will fix that problem--download V8Bait's tuning spreadsheet in the Downloads section for more info if you don't have this yet.

4) There's some post-shift timing correction occurring. Hard to say what's causing it without seeing your map and more data parameters.

5) Check over your vacuum system for any small leaks and perform a vacuum test. You're a little slow to spool and you're underboosting by about 2 psig up top. Could also be a small boost leak or a worn wastegate.

By the by, this link to your log might be a little easier to read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Quick follow-up note:

I don't know COBB's nomenclature for their maps, but if a RACE map indicates that it is intended for race fuel, detuning it for pump gas is not the correct approach. You're much better off taking a pump gas map and fine-tuning it to your car's specific needs based on logging (preferably on a dyno).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    1) Recommend starting your runs at or below 2K RPMs in 3rd gear. This gives a much better snapshot of overall system response.
    Agreed! I don't have a Dyno handy so I'm somewhat limited by how much I can do on the street.Click here to enlarge

[/QUOTE=EvanL;585987]2) Your LPFP is tanking above ~4500 RPM. Recommend replacing the stock bucket and adding a series booster pump. SteveAZ is your friend here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah....I realize that, too. I'm already talking to Steve and will definitely pull the trigger when my E85 source in Philly comes back on line - the damn E85 pump at the station, which looks 30 years old, has been kaput for almost a month now.

[/QUOTE=EvanL;585987]3) STFTs are maxed out from 3500 - 4700 RPM, but you already know this. Tuning the 3D fuel scalar will fix that problem--download V8Bait's tuning spreadsheet in the Downloads section for more info if you don't have this yet.[/QUOTE]

i just learned all about 3D scalars tonight from our friend Ken and set up a revised one. I'll also take a look at V8Bait's spreadsheets.

[/QUOTE=EvanL;585987]4) There's some post-shift timing correction occurring. Hard to say what's causing it without seeing your map and more data parameters. [/QUOTE]

I'm exploring this, too, with Ken.

[/QUOTE=EvanL;585987]5) Check over your vacuum system for any small leaks and perform a vacuum test. You're a little slow to spool and you're underboosting by about 2 psig up top. Could also be a small boost leak or a worn wastegate. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm...maybe worn wastegate, possibly. I'm starting to hear a little rattling....
    Also, I had the entire system smoked tested and a leak was found and repaired this last Spring.

[/QUOTE=EvanL;585987]By the by, this link to your log might be a little easier to read.[/QUOTE]
    Lovely! Thanks and repped! +1!
    Last edited by Jeffman; 08-05-2014 at 02:52 AM.