Close

Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    My god Aqib talib got PAID. Strong work by Todd France on that….most real (guaranteed) $ to ANY corner, ever.

Crazy bc I was hearing the market for him was very soft. Only takes one team in UFA to blow the lid off things. DEN assuming a huge risk with this contract, I haven’t seen the details but there doesn’t appear to be an out clause. They will pay him $30mm, bottom line. When right he’s a true matchup corner, but I worry that his left hip is degenerative and obvious red flags off the field. This will be very, very interesting for DEN. Clear signal they want to win right now, but the unspoken truth, what happens when Manning retires? They will be gutted both financially and depth wise due to the $ obligations on the books.

Crazy money being handed out.
    I was curious to hear folks' thoughts on this. I grew up a Chiefs fan, but I love the Broncos too - I always joke that my three favorite teams are the Chiefs, Broncos and whomever is playing the Raiders Click here to enlarge

Seriously though, it is clear the Broncos are loading everything they've got for one or two more runs at a ring. I hadn't thought about the long term consequences, but I certainly see your point.

Always a fun thread to read - thanks for keeping it up.
    Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Man I hope the Broncos load up on the defensive side. Bailey is gone and I'm glad. I still don't understand that coverage against the Ravens that essentially cost them another SuperBowl shot.

Hopefully Denver picks up some serious DB's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Man I hope the Broncos load up on the defensive side. Bailey is gone and I'm glad. I still don't understand that coverage against the Ravens that essentially cost them another SuperBowl shot.

Hopefully Denver picks up some serious DB's.
    The Jacoby Jones play in ’13? I’ll go back and confirm but there was nothing exotic or inherently wrong from DEN’s scheme standpoint. Double verts from the Ravens with Dixon I think on some type of drag route- the point of the concept is to stress the perimeter vertically while challenging the safety to drive down on the underneath route. The safety should have read his keys and stayed deep center, but he came down for a split second and at that point, you aren’t going to catch up to Jacoby Jones. Misplayed the ball’s arc as well, probably underestimated Flaccos’ arm strength. Was just poor play by a poor player.

DEN is certainly “loading up”. The results we’ll have to see. They got dogged in the superbowl but it was their offense that didn’t show up. Defense was bad but didn’t get torched, offense was absolutely handled. And they’ve done nothing to improve up front.

If they can get Ware on good $ that would be impressive, for sure.

Good to see people enjoy this thread. Sometimes I think i'm just talking to myself Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

The Jacoby Jones play in ’13? I’ll go back and confirm but there was nothing exotic or inherently wrong from DEN’s scheme standpoint. Double verts from the Ravens with Dixon I think on some type of drag route- the point of the concept is to stress the perimeter vertically while challenging the safety to drive down on the underneath route. The safety should have read his keys and stayed deep center, but he came down for a split second and at that point, you aren’t going to catch up to Jacoby Jones. Misplayed the ball’s arc as well, probably underestimated Flaccos’ arm strength. Was just poor play by a poor player.
    2012 Divisional playoff game.

I think there was a lot wrong personally. Bailey was getting torched by Torrey Smith all game. He just couldn't keep up with him. He looked old, slow, etc. With seconds left in the game and the Ravens needing a miracle why in the world wouldn't you bring another safety in? I don't know if the defensive coordinator was fired but he should have been.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I’ll play devil’s advocate

Who do you bring on? The assignment was almost certainly man over, the deep safety has 1 responsibility- not to let the ball get over his head. Obviously the safety (believe it was Tony Carter?) they trotted out there they felt had the most range to execute on the play. If you don’t know your personel by the playoffs, you are in serious trouble. So obviously they felt he was their best option. Not like DEN has Ronnie Lott back there or anything. The talent is what it is.

They could have given Bailey more help on Jones, but how much coverage can you roll to protect against….Jacoby Jones? If you can’t handle him and have to roll a safety over, you deserve to get beat.

If I get some more free time I’ll make a cutup of that play and post screengrabs of where it all went wrong. Safety took the bait, at that point it’s game over.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I’ll play devil’s advocate

Who do you bring on? The assignment was almost certainly man over, the deep safety has 1 responsibility- not to let the ball get over his head. Obviously the safety (believe it was Tony Carter?) they trotted out there they felt had the most range to execute on the play. If you don’t know your personel by the playoffs, you are in serious trouble. So obviously they felt he was their best option. Not like DEN has Ronnie Lott back there or anything. The talent is what it is.

They could have given Bailey more help on Jones, but how much coverage can you roll to protect against….Jacoby Jones? If you can’t handle him and have to roll a safety over, you deserve to get beat.

If I get some more free time I’ll make a cutup of that play and post screengrabs of where it all went wrong. Safety took the bait, at that point it’s game over.
    You're defending against a hail mary. Just put someone in the end zone. The Patriots would do it with Randy Moss. Why are you letting your old DB who obviously will get beat... get beat?

Throw anyone in the end zone it doesn't matter. All he has to do is stop the guy from trotting into the end zone as they were so far back Flacco couldn't even fling it that far a jump ball. It was idiotic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Here it is, how does he get behind two guys? Why are you leaving Bailey out there who can't run?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Those are good points. At the same time- we’ve all seen the “prevent” defense prevent you from winning. So I don’t mind staying in man looks- it had worked well for them to that point in the game. You can see at :02 the deep safety in a good position, cheating the sideline and with good depth. But he takes the bait on Boldin (I thought it was Dixon) attacking the seam. That false step is all it takes at the pro level. Once in a trail position, Carter just was not athletic enough to recover cleanly, hence him flopping all over himself trying to prevent the completion.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Those are good points. At the same time- we’ve all seen the “prevent” defense prevent you from winning. So I don’t mind staying in man looks- it had worked well for them to that point in the game. You can see at :02 the deep safety in a good position, cheating the sideline and with good depth. But he takes the bait on Boldin (I thought it was Dixon) attacking the seam. That false step is all it takes at the pro level. Once in a trail position, Carter just was not athletic enough to recover cleanly, hence him flopping all over himself trying to prevent the completion.
    With less than a minute on the clock I don't see how you wouldn't go to a prevent. All you need to do is keep them out of the end zone. It's third down. They have 70 yards to go. There is no excuse for him getting behind TWO defensive backs. It just shows Bailey was past well past his prime. Great player for almost a decade but it was time to go a couple years ago.

Regardless, it's in the past and not important I'm just glad Denver has the opportunity now to upgrade the secondary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

TJ Ward a clear upgrade for sure, I like that signing a lot. They needed a thumper on the back end, that D does not scare anyone.

Not so sure Talib is a decisive upgrade over DRC. Very similar players in terms of skill set, build, etc. But also similar in that you question how much they really care, and worry what on earth they are doing when they go home for the night. DRC graded out better amongst several scouting services last season. At his best though, few are as good as Talib.

I just think the $ they gave Talib is absolutely nuts. He’s played 16 games once in his career, and if he runs afoul again, he will be suspended for the entire season. You could make a good argument that DRC carries the same type of risks though. I view it as a near exchange of players for DEN- but it weakens NE so that in and of itself is a victory for DEN. No denying that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Revis was just informed of his release, will hit the wires in about 15 minutes or so.

You didn’t hear it from me- NE and CLE the front runners by a mile. But he plays for money, straight up. So we’ll see. Would be happy to return to the Jets but Woody holds grudges.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Cleveland out of nowhere is making major moves. They don't need huge help on defense though they need a QB.

Is Revis still any good though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Cleveland out of nowhere is making major moves. They don't need huge help on defense though they need a QB.

Is Revis still any good though?
    He is the premier matchup corner in football. Period. I’m not even sure who else I would put in his category, he’s the best pure cover man I’ve ever laid eyes on. Never got to really break down Champ and Ty Law in their primes, but Revis is just outstanding. The issue is he plays for money, pure and simple. But make no mistake, he is off the charts good. The only WR I’ve ever seen give him issues is Stevie Johnson, and he’s a very unique player.

If it’s a bidding war, I do wonder how much the Pats will indulge. You are 100% right, the Browns have been very aggressive. A Revis-Hayden pairing would be downright unfair. Good luck getting the ball over those guy’s heads.

End of the day I’m hearing it’s NE, CLE, NYJ as a dark horse. But who knows, a team could come out of nowhere. DEN was not even in contact with France until yesterday evening, so these things can happen very quickly. Part of the difficulty in gauging the market.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Let’s put it this way. I believe STRONGLY that Richard Sherman would struggle on most teams. It makes me chuckle when folks argue for him over Revis. On a neutral field in Wichita, Revis is twice the player.

SEA D is keyed by Earl Thomas’ unique range+instincts. When Sherman is forced into a movement game, he can be had. That’s how highly I think of Revis. His play in 09-10 was transcendent.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I just didn't see anything out of Revis last year except whining.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I just didn't see anything out of Revis last year except whining.
    Oh I mean his reputation is money first, everything else after. For sure. But bottom line is on Sundays he’s one of the top, what maybe dozen players in this league. And he stays at home Mon-Sat, which is exactly what I want to see. He’s a prim donna- most corners are. I’m not convinced he loves football, but you want to know a dirty little secret? The VAST majority of NFL players do not particularly love the game. I’d wager at least 50% of NFL players much, much prefer basketball. They play it because they are athletically blessed at this particular sport, I don’t blame them for leveraging their skills, but make no mistake- most players do not maximize their talent. Not even close to it.

One of the most widely propagated myths out there is that if you played in the NFL, you must understand football well. That is total, utter BS.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Oh I mean his reputation is money first, everything else after. For sure. But bottom line is on Sundays he’s one of the top, what maybe dozen players in this league. And he stays at home Mon-Sat, which is exactly what I want to see. He’s a prim donna- most corners are. I’m not convinced he loves football, but you want to know a dirty little secret? The VAST majority of NFL players do not particularly love the game. I’d wager at least 50% of NFL players much, much prefer basketball. They play it because they are athletically blessed at this particular sport, I don’t blame them for leveraging their skills, but make no mistake- most players do not maximize their talent. Not even close to it.

One of the most widely propagated myths out there is that if you played in the NFL, you must understand football well. That is total, utter BS.
    I believe you. Plus many of these guys aren't the best students of the game. A few do get by on their physical more than mental talent I would think.

Still, I think there is a question mark on Revis after last season. Let's see what he does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Revis to the Patriots... damn.

Ware to the Broncos... damn.

Things are getting crazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Revis to the Patriots... damn.

Ware to the Broncos... damn.

Things are getting crazy.
    Broncos overpaid for Ware, but not by much. Like that signing all in all. Him and Miller off the edge is trouble….The real q for me is how much he has left against the run, and where do they play him? He has enough length to set the edge in a 34, but I’m not sure if he has enough contact power at this point to play the “elephant” role (think Willie McGinest or Lawrence Taylor for the prototype).

Revis contract is interesting. On its face, frankly it’s a coup for NE. 1 year, expensive but not exorbitant, team retains the rights to use the franchise tag, very limited injury risk, stable off the field, and is in a preferred position in terms of a potential long-term extension. NE generally plays it safe in FA, last time they splurged was the Adalius Thomas disaster in 2007. They only step up for big names when the value is absurd (Randy Moss), or you are talking about a genuine Hall of Fame type talent. There are pro bowlers, and there are hall of famers. Revis is the latter. Think you could make a strong case that Ware was that type of player a few years ago too.

There is no one else in the AFC within a country mile of these two teams. Depth will be the deciding factor IMO, both teams have top end talent to spare.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Jace Amaro just ran in the high 4.58s hand timed. Much better than in Indy, that’s the speed he plays at on tape. Should get him back into the 1st round I’d think as a “move” TE. Debating whether I like him more than Jenkins. Ebron over-rated in my mind.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yeah, looks like Elway made defense a priority in the off season.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, looks like Elway made defense a priority in the off season.
    Peyton can't win it alone. And he has maybe 1 or 2 years left then it's done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My god Aqib 13-21510 ib got PAID. Strong work by Todd France on thatÖ.most real (guaranteed) $ to ANY corner, ever.

Crazy bc I was hearing the market for him was very soft. Only takes one team in UFA to blow the lid off things. DEN assuming a huge risk with this contract, I havenít seen the details but there doesnít appear to be an out clause. They will pay him $30mm, bottom line. When right heís a true matchup corner, but I worry that his left hip is degenerative and obvious red flags off the field. This will be very, very interesting for DEN. Clear signal they want to win right now, but the unspoken truth, what happens when Manning retires? They will be gutted both financially and depth wise due to the $ obligations on the books.

Crazy money being handed out.
    The market for corners seem to be 3-5 mil more than last year. Can we thank GB for that? The Colts inked VD for more than he was worth...hopefully he can live up to it.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I'm a big fan of his talent, but his game is very hot and cold. His technique is lazy, he coasts on very impressive reactive athleticism. He moves very well. But as i'm sure you know, he drives on routes and can be had deep. Then he gets grabby and it's PI flags all day long. He was an ass coming out of school, I have no idea if he's matured though.

Like so many corners in this league, he could be very good if he cared to be.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

This close to the draft I won’t be posting as many scouting pieces on ’14 prospects, thought it could be interesting to do a little self-scouting on current free agents who just signed big $ deals. Try to get a sense for why the team felt that player X was worth Y dollars in their scheme-it’s not always obvious in free agency. I’ll go on record again as saying that free agency is a nice place to do one of the following

1. Supplement the core of your roster with middle market talent
    2. Retain core home-grown players
    3. Extend on the rare opportunity to land an exceptional talent or scheme fit

Anything else is almost always going to end in the franchise over paying, we’ve all seen it a million times.

So with that said I’ll begin with in my mind the riskiest contract handed out, the one that went to Sam Shields up in Green Bay. Sam was an interesting kid coming out, and in many ways scouting him still feels like you are scouting a college corner. Whether that is still a good thing is up to interpretation.

Sam Shields (UM) 5.010 186

Positives:
    -Well put together, classic cornerback build. Long arms, thin waist, tapered ankles. Looks the part though lacking in height.
    -Exceptional timed speed that shows on the field. Can cover ground and reaches top gear very quickly. Can eat up grass in an instant after turning. Will not be beaten vertically for lack of speed.
    -Good/very good reactive athlete. Not outstanding, but very good. Loose hips allow him to mirror and drive on breaking routes. Can stick his foot in the ground and make decisive movements down the field. Background as a WR shows in his ability to undercut certain routes with confidence.
    -Well-coordinated athlete. Responds to double moves with ease from an athletic standpoint. Does not stumble in the 3-step game.
    -Natural ball skills, disruptive on the ball at UM.

Negatives
    -College WR who still is green at the position
    -Plays with raw technique, shows flaws on tape that most corners have corrected by entering collegiate level.
    -Thin build leaves him susceptible to nicks and bruises, no record of major time missed.
    - Needs to convert more PBUs to INTs.
    -Gives too much space in nearly all situations. Prefers to mirror rather than disrupt at LOS, puts enormous stress on his own athletic ability to compensate. Very difficult to do that at NFL level.
    -Poor tackler and lacks recognition on the field. Takes poor angles that compromise edge concepts.
    -Not a bad person but have heard from numerous people that GB was scared to pay the kid. Serious maturity and motivation questions.

Summary: A legitimate NFL talent who has not always produced to his talent. The scouting report above frankly I could write for a handful of corners on EVERY roster. Could be the most frustrating position to evaluate in all of football. Every team has a few guys who are so blessed athletically, but for whatever reason just don’t put it all together. Corner tends to be a sink or swim position, Shields is firmly a middle of the road corner but obviously the scouting department in GB feels very-very good about him. Outside perception in that case really doesn’t matter, if a team feels strongly about an in-house player, they will likely pony up to retain him. He has the talent to excel.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast