Close

Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1.55 10 yard split for Clowney. Off the top of my head that gets him in the top 5 for every position except WR and CB. This kid is off the charts in gym shorts. However one thing we (everyone) is looking into more- what type of pass rusher is he?

When we talk edge rushers (as opposed to inside 0 and 3 techniques), the names that jump off the page to me…Von Miller, Tamba Hali, Aldon Smith, Jared Allen, a younger guy like Chandler Jones…All those guys have what we call “bend”, the ability to hit the edge quickly, and then bend around it with hip and ankle flexion-preferably at full speed. Generally speaking that is not a technique thing, either a guy has the natural flexibility or he doesn’t. These guys win with speed, but as a mechanical matter it’s not really straight line speed.

Clowney is supremely athletic, everyone knows that by now. But he is not a natural bender, he is very stiff and narrow in the hips. High cut build as well means he loses his center of gravity easily when he doesn’t play with tenacity and power (which happens more frequently than it should). He converts speed to power like few I’ve ever seen, but I do wonder how his stiffness will hinder him at the next level. If the tackle sets up with inside leverage, does he have the bend to beat him around the corner?

Just a thought I’ve been having, always important to keep level headed about these kids. Can’t let ESPN get you too excited.

P.S. if you want a true athletic freakshow at the combine, I can give you my numbers for Jamie Collins last year. Easily, easily the most ridiculous showing I’ve heard of at a combine. Stupifying numbers in every drill. One of those guys who was at the time an all-world athlete, average football player.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

If this Loucheiz Purifoy (UF Gators) kid ever figures out how to play football, he’ll be such a stud at the corner spot. Attributes are just picture perfect for a corner, ideal height, arm length, overall proportion, superior reactive athleticism, top end speed, recovery speed, can leap out of the gym…everything is there, he’s a Joe Haden athlete in an Aqib Talib frame.

But man is he a knucklehead.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    If this Loucheiz Purifoy (UF Gators) kid ever figures out how to play football, he’ll be such a stud at the corner spot. Attributes are just picture perfect for a corner, ideal height, arm length, overall proportion, superior reactive athleticism, top end speed, recovery speed, can leap out of the gym…everything is there, he’s a Joe Haden athlete in an Aqib Talib frame.

But man is he a knucklehead.
    Of course. He's a Gator, 4 and 8er.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Of course. He's a Gator, 4 and 8er.
    He just showed up at a soft 192 and ran a 4.6 flat with a poor split a few mins ago on our watches. So he clearly hasn’t been training. I’d be so furious were I his agent.

Going to call our guy in a few mins to talk it over, but i'm not happy. This kid needs a serious kick in the ass from his coaches.

I hear what you are saying on Gators. Trust me, they have a reputation around the leaguand it's not good. Specifically the Urban Meyer kids. All-universe athletes, marginal football players and/or simply poor character.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Just now settling into the mountains of combine notes that I have to review, here’s a guy who I briefly covered, but now requires a serious second/third look. As a general rule of thumb, I only really “care” about gym numbers when they stand in stark contrast to what I see on tape. That is the case here.

Loucheiz Purifoy CB UF
    6.01 191

Positives:
    Ideal and prototypical H/W/S prospect. Looks the part “on the hoof” of a perimeter corner. Oustanding arm length and hand size, has natural tools to be effective as a zone, off man, and press man corner. Flashes explosive reactive athleticism and above-average make up speed on double moves. Can sink and drive down on routes like few players of his height. Loose hips, thin ankles, light on his feet and carries his frame with ease. Comforatble with his speed, does not get out of control in tight spaces. Flashes outstanding leaping ability, climbs the ladder with ease. His length allows him to take chances most corners cannot afford. Plays with supreme confidence, has no shortage of faith in his game. Feisty and plays with an attitude, has “glass in his diet”. Playing time for a premier program. Gators almost always superior athletes. A dominant talent on paper, no question the most purely gifted corner in this class. From an attribute standpoint, he’s miles better than Dennard and superior to Gilbert.

Negatives:
    Production simply doesn’t match ability. Extremely frustrating to evaluate. Only has 2 seasons of real playing time, was suspended and benched at different points in the ’13 season. Significant character issues and will need to be J flagged. A competitor on the field, but work habits are marginal. Showed up at Indy in poor shape+ unprepared. 4.62 dash is completely unacceptable for someone of his ability, he is a 4.4 guy when he wants to be. Need to verify times in Gainesville. Back pedal is lazy and he opens his hips too late- wants to eye the backfield and did not play with discipline in ’13. Ball skills are an unknown, though likely quite good as he was played at WR on several occasions. Very thin, linear frame. Weak upper body, will be overwhelmed by physical play. Will need to be careful where he adds muscle, risks becoming too high cut (ie A. Cromartie). Merely sufficient against the run, violent striker but technique is very poor and inconsistent and not interested unless he thinks he can be on sports center. Not highly regarded amongst peers, but more immature than a rotten apple. A classic boom or bust prospect.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I don't follow the combine too much. But the glimpses I caught on the NFL channel, it seems like the players are getting weaker. The players aren't doing as many bench press reps. Clowney only did 21 reps of 225lbs.

Why don't they do squats? Of all the things, I would want to know the players leg strength.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    I don't follow the combine too much. But the glimpses I caught on the NFL channel, it seems like the players are getting weaker. The players aren't doing as many bench press reps. Clowney only did 21 reps of 225lbs.

Why don't they do squats? Of all the things, I would want to know the players leg strength.
    Hm. Interesting thought, I hadn’t really considered it in those terms or from the long view. It would require an enormous amount of work to really quantify with numbers, or qualify with long-term tape study. My gut reaction is to argue that generally speaking, players are faster and stronger than they have ever been. Also important to remember that the flat bench is a marginal indicator of strength, especially the farther off the ball you get.

Other typical weight lifting measurements are usually not necessary. I can tell very quickly if someone lacks for leg drive, bulk, or anchor. It’s one of those things that’s either on tape, or it’s not. Seeing how many times a guy can squat X lbs wouldn’t really add much to the overall eval.

Of all the combine drills, I find the following to be the best indicators of relative athleticism. Remember- that’s basically all these drills test. Biomechanical makeup that cannot be coached, and to a certain extent preparation.
    -10 yard dash
    -3 cone
    -standing broad
    -vert
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Khalil Mack just ran low 4.5s hand timed a few minutes ago. He’ll destroy the other drills as well.

From a pure pass rushing standpoint, no question in my mind he’s better than Clowney right now. A far more versatile toolbox of rush moves, Clowney is one-cut and upfield. You’re going to have a lot of folks clamoring to take this kid ahead of Clowney, from a pure grade standpoint I have him behind Clowney, but have him in front on the big board. If that makes any sense..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Free Agency (silly season) will be kicking into high gear very soon once the legal tampering period ends. Any particular players you guys are interested in? This is a unique group, got a handful of really talented guys hitting the market in their prime.

I would just caution this: Free Agency is fool’s gold as a general matter. You build teams with a handful of elite players, and cheap labor. That means you draft, develop, and move on once age/finances/performance become an issue. Signing players in their late 20s to big $ deals is not how you build a strong roster. Every year fans want to see their team blow the lid off Free Agency, I’d advise them to sit tight and be patient. Superbowls aren’t won in March.

Also got a lot of pro days going on. College Station was great.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I don't know the free agent list. I'm interested in seeing if anyone gives up two first rounders for Graham.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...agents-by-team

^Full list of UFAs.

As for Graham, I’d be willing to bet a good deal he stays put on a long term deal. It is VERY rare to see bi name trades in the NFL, and even more rare for trades to involve compensation per the rules of the CBA.

Last offseason NE signed Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet, like Graham he was a RFA. It would have required “only” a 3rd, and even then the Steelers matched it and he stayed in Pitt. It’s so hard to make the parameters of a deal fair for both sides; you are talking 2 first rounders (unknown but hugely valuable commodity) for a proven commodity with a big price tag assigned. So it’s such an apples to oranges comparison of value, you can see how quickly those plans usually fall apart.

Real question is how much does NO value Graham? Obviously he’s an outstanding player, but in my mind he’s not quite as good as some make him out to be. Disappears against physical teams, avoids contact like the plague, useless in the run game. I know agents are following this one very closely, as it will set a precedent for tagging these “move” TEs who are deployed like slot WRs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You're right on Graham being useless in the run game and disappearing when it gets physical. I had him on my fantasy team and there was a game where he got roughed up a bit and caught zero passes. Yes, zero passes. He just disappeared.

That said, he's tall as hell and in the end zone there is no better option to hit as he can go up and the get the ball like nobody else. He just isn't a very good traditional tight end. He is an amazing offensive tool though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

For sure. That’s why people are following this contract so closely. Is he compensated as a TE? Or as a WR? If it’s a long-term deal, is it in the ballpark of the Gronkowski and Hernandez extensions? Or does it elevate the bar to another level, approaching elite WR compensation? Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Yea there aren’t many like him in terms of winning on 50/50 balls. Combination of frame, hand size, leaping ability, and coordination…most players just can’t stop him or Gronk when you put the ball up for grabs. They are always open 2 feet above their heads, literally. They also both have hands the size of dinner plates.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You're right on Graham being useless in the run game and disappearing when it gets physical. I had him on my fantasy team and there was a game where he got roughed up a bit and caught zero passes. Yes, zero passes. He just disappeared.

That said, he's tall as hell and in the end zone there is no better option to hit as he can go up and the get the ball like nobody else. He just isn't a very good traditional tight end. He is an amazing offensive tool though.
    A+ - franchise player my ass

I hope the NY Giants actually do some improving this year cause they are due for a Superbowl...
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Giants? Heh, man, don't expect anything out of them. Especially if Eli's season wasn't an anomaly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Ugh. Thinking about the fact that Eli has 2 rings…disgusting. Just putrid.

Giants have a lot of work to do. They let both their offensive and defensive lines get old and slow, that’s a great recipe for losing football. They really need to improve on the O-line particularly; it’s a bottom tier unit for sure.

Actually now that I really think about it, the state of O-line play in this league is a mess. You can thank college football for that. You got kids coming out of these wide open spreads who have never in their lives had to pass block a seven step drop. It’s all kicking the D End outside for 2 seconds or so, and the ball’s out. Not how it works in the NFL.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Colts are already better than last year.....cut Satele! Yay.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Colts are already better than last year.....cut Satele! Yay.
    Colts have some interesting pieces and obviously a very bright future at QB, but some serious holes in the roster and the depth is poor in my opinion. Have a feeling they will be aggressive this off season and push to be an AFC heavyweight, but they’re just not deep enough to hang with DEN and NE. Lack of bulk in the front seven really showed in the AFCD game last season, they got manhandled start to finish.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

UFA starts at 4PM EST, the 2014 NFL season officially begins today!

It is the silly season with free agency, prepare to see bad teams spend big on marginal and aging talent. Happens year, after year, after year. EVERY free agent was willfully dumped by their old employer, just remember that whenever you think “player X is the key to the Superbowl”. Take the Seahawks, that roster is 100% home grown and built. Harvin was nice icing on the cake and Lynch has been good, but the bread and butter was drafted and developed in house. That’s how you do it.

My 2C, I’ve seen some disastrous signings go down with nary a dissent in the room….but I’m not a numbers guy, so I leave that to the front office.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I want to like the Colts but I hate Jim Irsay.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

You’d like him in real life. It’s not like I know the guy well, but he’s gregarious+personable in the right setting. Always a highlight of the Combine, finding him at whatever bar in Indy the night before. A bit of a blowhard, but if I owned an NFL team, I probably would be too. He’s a unique cat, that’s for sure.

PS $8mm/YR for Rodger Saffold. LOL. Free agency is ridiculous....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You’d like him in real life. It’s not like I know the guy well, but he’s gregarious+personable in the right setting. Always a highlight of the Combine, finding him at whatever bar in Indy the night before. A bit of a blowhard, but if I owned an NFL team, I probably would be too. He’s a unique cat, that’s for sure.

PS $8mm/YR for Rodger Saffold. LOL. Free agency is ridiculous....
    I thought he gave up alcohol? I don't trust a man who won't take a drink.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I thought he gave up alcohol? I don't trust a man who won't take a drink.
    He gave up being an alcoholic, as I understand it. I’m nowhere near close enough to the org or him personally to say anything beyond that.

I just know that on the night before the combine, he’s a fun person to be around.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

He gave up being an alcoholic, as I understand it. I’m nowhere near close enough to the org or him personally to say anything beyond that.

I just know that on the night before the combine, he’s a fun person to be around.
    I have no personal experience with him so I'll cede to yours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

My god Aqib talib got PAID. Strong work by Todd France on that….most real (guaranteed) $ to ANY corner, ever.

Crazy bc I was hearing the market for him was very soft. Only takes one team in UFA to blow the lid off things. DEN assuming a huge risk with this contract, I haven’t seen the details but there doesn’t appear to be an out clause. They will pay him $30mm, bottom line. When right he’s a true matchup corner, but I worry that his left hip is degenerative and obvious red flags off the field. This will be very, very interesting for DEN. Clear signal they want to win right now, but the unspoken truth, what happens when Manning retires? They will be gutted both financially and depth wise due to the $ obligations on the books.

Crazy money being handed out.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast