Close

Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Haha Seriously. In other news,

Very happy to see Marqise Lee go at the top of the second, albeit not to my employer. I'm a big fan of this kid, and he came across very well when we had him in. I hope he tears this league to pieces for passing on him.

Very happy to see AJ Mccarron slide. Everyone talks about him walking on water since he played with Nick and won a billion games. Whatever. He can't play and he's a dick. I didn't shed any tears when he lasted until day 3.

Surprised to see Mettenberger fall like that, but think teams got cold feet with his temperament late in the process. From a tools standpoint, I had him as my 2nd rated quarterback this week.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I completely forgot about McCarron. Not his girlfriend though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I completely forgot about McCarron. Not his girlfriend though.
    You got that right.

She's the real deal in person too, didn't meet her but saw her from like 20 feet away or so during spring practices last year.

Smokin. But the guy can kick rocks, was very smug when we got him on the white board. He's short as hell in real life too, which I found hilarious compared to her. Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I heard through the grapevine another team spent their entire in-house interview adressing him as "Raymond/Ray", which is his given name. They wanted to see if it bugged him. It did. Hilarious.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    You got that right.

She's the real deal in person too, didn't meet her but saw her from like 20 feet away or so during spring practices last year.

Smokin. But the guy can kick rocks, was very smug when we got him on the white board. He's short as hell in real life too, which I found hilarious compared to her. Click here to enlarge
    That's quite a specimen but if he doesn't pan out as a pro is she really going to stick with him? I feel like she is using him to launch her own career.

Whatever, none of my business. Fine ass chick though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Did you guys see this nonsense about the "leaked" Manziel report from NE? I'm almost positive it is wrong. The grading is way off, unless something has changed very recently (certainly possible but doubtful). A 9.5-10 for them is a "planet" player in the Parcells grading system, which is a hall of fame type grade. It's what they gave Revis, extremely rare for obvious reasons. They gave Manziel like a 6 or 6.5. That's quite a high grade relative to the overall evaluation. I don't see it. And the final section is so speculative, everyone writes with their own style but it came across as too gossipy to me. And some of those schools are flat out mis-written. I call bull$#@!.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I did not. I saw the morons in Cleveland told him to "start acting like a backup" LOL. Only a total $#@! organization could ever say something so stupid.

You better always play to be #1 , or you will always just be "a backup". Really feel sorry for Manziel. I would guess their season will go like $#@! and they will throw him to the wolves half way through once they cave to public opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Wanted to give a quick shoutout to Eric Stokes, who will now be the new director of College Scouting in Miami. I've worked with him extensively in the past, and he taught me a great deal about understanding tape, rather than just watching it. I know he'll continue to kick ass in Joe's program. Anyways....

Any particular players you guys are intrigued by? I could list dozens but would be interested to hear your guys thoughts. It's always interesting to see how opinions change with access to results, so I like to hold onto scouting reports to see how my projection turned out relative to the actual results on the field. Obviously you hope that your general projection was correct, though its' always surprising how often things just don't pan out the way you had figured they would.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I'm pretty much intrigued by the big names listed already. I don't know who else will matter honestly.

I pretty much paid attention to day 1 of the draft and that's it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I certainly can’t blame you for that. The latter rounds can be a bit of a drag, though for me they’re an awesome time because we get more latitude to take shots on riskier guys on day 3.

My top sleepers, based solely on talent vs position drafted

1. Martavius Bryant (the league caught on as well)
    2. Jeff Janis
    3. Loucheiz Purifoy
    4. Marqise Lee*
    5. Lache Seastrunk

*Lee was a top 2nd guy, but I feel strongly that he was way, way undervalued. I just don’t agree with how far he fell, I viewed him as a certified top level talent. The only thing he lacks is a + frame and absolute top shelf third level speed. In every other regard, I think he’s a truly outstanding player.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Random Bump: With minicamps out of the way and NCAA spring ball on the horizon, it's vacation time for me. I've had literally one day out of the office (including weekends) since late March so I am a sleepy dude. But i'm always down to talk football.

Sp with that said, is there any interest in some basic playbook discussion? I can provide some very basic stuff from previous years' playbooks, redacted to protect anything proprietary of course. But in reality 99% of an NFL playbook is an open secret, there's nothing magical about a particular play.

If there's any interest in discussing particular concepts from a chalkboard standpoint, I have hundreds upon hundreds of plays to discuss. Been thinking about the jet sweep a lot recently after watching some Percy Harvin cutups from his UF days.

Hope ya'll enjoy the off-season! I just want to get back to football....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Also figured i'd spread some knowledge in terms of breaking down scouting jargon. Lord knows there are too many buzzwords floating around the scouting community, so let's try to break them down to their real-world application.

Today's term- False Step vs. Loose Feet

A "false step" is something to be avoided, first and foremost. It is literally a step in the opposite direction that one wants to travel in. You'll see WRs often jab step before getting into their route stem. Unless trying to win the three step game on a quick hitting route, your goal is to explode off the line and eat up as much grass as is possible given the route you are being asked to run. Anything that deviates from that is wasted motion, giving the corner time to get his hands on you or peek into the backfield. With some players it's a matter of poor technique, with others it's simply a result of natural stiffness and inability to snap ones' hips off the snap.

The opposite of this would be someone with "loose" feet and ankles. That is, a player who can easily move his weight off the LOS without wasted motion, in one fluid step. As a general rule of thumb, taller players tend to struggle here the most due to their higher center of gravity and generally stiffer lower body.

Example of a "tight" player who takes false steps: Brandon LaFell, Leonard Hankerson

Example of a "loose" player who avoids false steps: Tavon Austin, Julian Edelman, Percy Harvin
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

^ lol. Well deserved though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I drank beers with Jon Gruden Wednesday night. We were both stuck in O'Hare.

The seahawks win was well deserved and it is great that they made Peyton Manning the all time most losing playoff QB in NFL history. They just destroyed him from the 1st play.
    Last edited by Torgus; 06-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I drank beers with Jon Gruden Wednesday night. We were both stuck in O'Hare.

The seahawks win was well deserved and it is great that they made Peyton Manning the all time most losing playoff QB in NFL history. They just destroyed him from the 1st play.
    That's cool i've never met Coach. Seems like a cool guy.

Hey all what's the easiest way to segment out individual pages of a PDF? I may or may not have the entire offensive playbook from several years back (at this point it's not at all secretive or anything like that) and i'd be happy to post specific plays....but it's also about 180 pages so I need a way to just pull out one page/diagram.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    That's cool i've never met Coach. Seems like a cool guy.

Hey all what's the easiest way to segment out individual pages of a PDF? I may or may not have the entire offensive playbook from several years back (at this point it's not at all secretive or anything like that) and i'd be happy to post specific plays....but it's also about 180 pages so I need a way to just pull out one page/diagram.
    Hey was very cool and down to earth. People would walk by as ask to take selfies with him. He had no problem. He had to show people how to do them correctly, it was hilarious vs. just turning on the camera and hoping the picture comes out good.

as far as the PDF no idea...perhaps you can choose what pages to 'print' into a new pdf or file? Or the snipping tool. Love to see some plays and have you break them down the best you can on a forum. I love your posts, Very informative.

It's posts like yours that remind me I know squat about football and really am just a fan Click here to enlarge

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here's a play I love - Double Wing Right Zebra Right. I don't think it's been called in awhile but again to be clear, I'm 100% not calling the shots on that front. Way above my paygrade Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

A lot to go over here

Formation

Quarterback is under center with a traditional 5 man line

A single "Y" TE is aligned the right of the right tackle, creating the "strong side" on the right. This will be your inline TE a la Heath Miller, contrast this to the "move" or "joker" TE such as a Jimmy Graham, who would never find himself being asked to hold up as a strong side edge blocker.

The X WR is on the weakside as always, so he is aligned to the far hash. This is where you put your horse

The Z "flanker" is aligned on the strongside and near hash, again per usual.

Finally the sweep player who will be running the Jet Sweet (we call it a zebra sweep) is aligned in the left slot.

Single back, no fullback due to the third WR

Pre Snap

This play almost requires that you have the ball on the left hash, you need a long field to allow the sweet player time to find the right mesh point (where they decide to turn the ball upfield past the LOS).

Quarterback should be on a quick count, in our system that is "set (count 1) hut". Depending on cadence, crowd noise, the alignment the defensive gives him, he will have the option to audible out to about 4 other plays. On the road that number has to be condensed.

The key reads for the sweet player are
    1. The corner aligned in front of him. Does he show press? Does he show man? Is he giving or ceding inside leverage? Does the WR anticipate bail coverage?

2. The linebackers on the strong side. Ideally the weak side players won't ever sniff the player running the jet. If a weakside LB can run down your slot guy on a jet sweep, Houston we have a problem. But must be very cognizant of who is on the strong side - they have the most direct shot at a TFL and ruined play.

3. The DE shaded to the strong side. Again, how far outside the Right Tackle is he? If he's "wide 9" he is almost certainly rushing straight up the field, that's a potential impediment to account for. If he's playing a shaded 3 tech he is likely rushing inside and hopefully should not be a factor.

Post Snap

Obviously, a lot of blocking and deception is needed. We like to have the Z flanker really sell a vertical and try to run his corner down the field. The Y Tight End is responsible for sealing the outside end of line player, be he a Linebacker or End. This is a critical block and a very difficult one to execute. If the edge is not set, at best the sweep player will get back to the LOS.

The Quarterback must quickly pivot off the snap and anticipate the sweep player. His eyes must stay up and down the field for as long as is possible before doing his little pirouette - critical. This sells the vertical route. "Eyes down, coach will frown". Blaine Gabbert was about as bad as it gets in terms of keeping your eye discipline down the field. So watch him if you want to learn what not to do.

Timing is crucial here, if the quarterback has to wait or is himself too early, tempo is compromised. One thing i've learned from spending time around coaches - tempo is EVERYTHING. Watch the great Quarterbacks, they control tempo beautifully and use it to dominate their opponent.

The Jet player has one key responsibility here - secure the football and read the edge. If the edge is properly set, he should have a full second or so to find a clean mesh point and take the ball upfield. If it is not clean, he will likely be forced to cut it up inside before he reaches the near side hash mark. Obviously that is not the design of the play.

Ideally the edge is set, the X WR has run his man about 20 yards down the field, and there is no one home on the strong side. The runner has space and a full head of steam by the time he passes the LOS.
    Last edited by 135pats; 06-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

This is awesome!!!! Keep posting, thank you!!

Also, this is a great play for our main man, P. Harvin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Today's scouting term - third level speed

When we reference speed at the "third level" we're talking about top end, vertical speed. Most people view speed in one dimension - either a player is fast or he is not. In reality it's far more nuanced than that. The way players run is unique, some players are explosive in space but won't crack 4.5 on a stopwatch. Others will burn 4.3s all day but in pads are stiff and awkward.

So when we talk about speed at the third level, it's all about their ability to finish a vertical route with or without the ball in their hands. A true burner needs to have finishing vertical speed in the third portion of the field.

We draw the field in 3 portions when thinking vertically.

First Level - LOS to 10 yards

Second Level - 10 to 25 yards

Third Level - 25 to 50 yards

I always find it helpful to provide players as examples when discussing specific traits. A player with world class third level speed is Ted Ginn, a player with world class first level traits is Julian Edelman. I've seen Teddy run in person and you can feel the air he is displacing, that's not an exaggeration in any way. He can just fly and has a clear 6th gear when he gets to that third level. Rare speed. But he's very stiff, he's not a make you miss guy. You don't see him touch the ball near the LOS for this exact reason. A lot of the track guys are like this (think RGIII). They run with a very narrow and stiff base, so they're $#@!ing flying but it's a very robotic set of movement. A player like Edelman on the other hand will never crack 4.5 and is not a serious vertical threat. But in space he has near rare elusiveness and looseness to his hips and ankles. It's reflected in their three cones, Ginn never cracked 7.2, Edelman had one of the best three cones in league history (think around 6.7 flat which is silly fast). It shows on tape.

Ideally we can find a player who has it all! Easier said than done. Again I come back to Percy Harvin...he's just a world class athlete. Finishing long speed, very good elusiveness and suddenness in short space. Other guys with those broad traits include Dez Bryant, Stevie Johnson, and a few others...the list is short.

Some guys in this latest draft with great third level speed - Jeff Janis, Martavius Bryant, Sammy Watkins.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Here’s another play I really like. It’s a staple zone buster concept in almost all playbooks. This is a day 1 installation from a passing concept POV. I’ve personally run this on the board with several prospects over the last 2 years to test their grasp of how we digest and attack zone looks. And look, we even get the infamous “spider 2 wide banana” that Coach Gruden talks about over and over on ESPN.

Formation

Traditional “10” personnel. This is the base look for every offense from Pee Wee to the Pros.
    Quarterback under center
    set back complimented by a fullback
    Z Flanker on the strong side
    X on the weak side/far hash
    Y TE making the strong side

Pre Snap

This play presumes several things, which is why it’s fairly basic from a tactical standpoint. We’ll only call this play if we see, or anticipate zone looks. Specifically cover 3 or 2. I can get into a broader discussion of those two concepts but for the time being I’ll keep it simple.

2 is a zone shell where the corners show off coverage the whole way, then pass any verts over to either of the two deep safeties (hence the 2). There is a natural hole between the corner and the safety, but it invites big shots if the safety recognizes the throw quickly. Cover 3 is what SEA plays all the time. Corners show press man but use a “bail” technique, at the snap they disrupt and then immediately turn and run to protect against a vertical shot. It looks like man but it’s not, they won’t trail inside the hashes and always have a single safety over the top. NE does a fair amount of this as well. The unifying theme is 2 outstanding safeties (Thomas and McCourty) with superb range to the sideline.

So Pre-snap, the first read should be the corners. Do they show off? Do they cede inside leverage? If the latter is true, they are almost certainly playing some type of perimeter zone.

Up next, where are the safeties? Has one crept down into the box? Hopefully the appearance of power run does that, leaving only one safety on the back end. Is that center field safety shaded to one side?

Post Snap

Nothing too fancy here, just a single option route from the TE – but that route is what makes or breaks the play.

We have both outside guys run posts exactly 15 yards down the field. Goal here is to put stress on the zone exchange – will the corner play his discipline and pass the WR along when he stems inside? Or does he trail – if he does we have a great opportunity to break the route back out to a corner (flip a post route and you have a corner). So we look for corner discipline with those twin posts. Either WR has the option to break it back to the pylon.

Then comes the option route from the Y Tight End. If he sees the safety playing true center field, he’ll likely want to carry his route vertically and force the safety to carry him. Unless the safety has some serious chutzpah, he’ll carry the TE vertically even if the TE is not a true vertical threat. Hopefully once that happens, either WR will have an uncovered hole in center field, or a one on one opportunity to break the post back out towards the pylon. You can see here how the TE makes the play; he has to get the attention of the center fielder. If the deep safety is shaded in one direction, we’ll have the Y TE stem his route away from the safety so he can continue to be a viable target.

This is a staple play because it presents the quarterback with three legitimate downfield targets. If the defense is showing man, you have two outlets in your set back and full back.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

This is awesome.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

A few days ago we broke down a staple zone look, today let’s think through defeating man cover.

Formation

“11” personnel – So quarterback under center with a setback, 3 wide, and Y TE creating the strong side/near hash.

One of the fundamental rules for playing and beating man (cover 0 or cover 1)is to spread the field horizontally. Push the play out towards the sideline, get the defenders out on islands to the greatest extent possible and get after them. As an offensive player you need space to work against man, against zone the focus is more on identifying the natural stress points within the zone. So here we can see how the third WR helps, in this case it’s termed the W but that letter is interchangeable.

We have the X on the weekside/far hash, the Z flanker aligned tighter to the LOS, and the W occupying the near hash/strong side.

Pre-Snap

We need to figure out, and do it quickly, what type of coverage we expect to see. It’s the same checklist as described previously. Do the corners shade outside? If so it’s probably a zone look. Do they show press? That probably leans towards cover 0 or 1, but it could also be a well-disguised cover 3 (bail).

Where are the safeties? This is the key read for the quarterback. He must identify and track both safeties and how they are moving pre-snap. If both appear to be committed to playing center field, it’s probably not cover 1 and it cannot be cover 0. If one or both appear to be coming down into the box, that’s almost certainly going to be a shot play over the top – particularly if it’s early in the game. This is a great tempo setting play and is a staple of any Air Coryell based offense.

Whatever the Quarterback decides is what goes. There can be absolutely no confusion regarding what coverage we’re expecting – the QB runs the ship and is trusted with making the right call. Next time you watch a Packers, Patriots, Steelers, or Texans game (those are just examples) you’ll hear the call “Rita” being made. It’s relevant to this play; again the language is all Air Coryell. You won’t be hearing much in the way of “green this”, “blue that” – that’s west coast verbiage.

Post-Snap

Assuming the quarterback sees cover 1 or 0, this play is designed to put pressure on safeties, both in terms of their discipline and their reactive athleticism. When it’s run correctly, it’s tough to stop.

The X WR is the only player who does not have an option on this play; his route is an 11 yard in breaking route. Simple stuff, he’ll be the outlet for the Quarterback and should be able to separate on this play 9/10 times.

The Z has two options, and 3 choices within those options. If the coverage is man, he’ll run a vert. Hopefully he’s a viable threat, but regardless his route will run off coverage and create some space for the X running the in breaker. If the coverage is zone, he’ll have the ability to cut the route off into a deep in or out. Remember that natural “hole” we spoke about in cover 2? It’s right where those routes end up. Let’s see if the safety has the range to come down and make the play – chances are they don’t. This is probably the most difficult throw in the NFL playbook, a far hash 30 yard out.

The TE has three routes he can run. An out breaking route at 12 yards, a hitch at 10, or a comeback at 10. Again, this is based on what the coverage ends up being. If it’s man, he’ll run the out breaker to see how the safety can mirror. If it’s zone, he’ll sit with the comeback or hitch. Those latter two routes depend on how the linebackers shade their coverage; obviously we want the route to stem away from the nearest ‘backer.

The W is set to run a deep comeback route unless we have cover 0. Cover 0 is “man free”, meaning straight up, no frills man across the board. There is no safety help in this scenario, it’s matchup football in its’ purest form. Very, very risky for a defense. Which is why the route will turn into a 9 (go/vert) if it’s cover 0. Give our guy a chance to hit the home run. If it’s any other type of coverage, we’ll want the W to show a vert but stem it at about 32 yards.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for this! I love reading about different schemes, match ups, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

A question and a random thought I had this morning.

1. The Bill's trade to move up for Sammy Watkins - How do you guys feel about it? Wise? Dumb? Somewhere in between? They gave up next years 1 and 4 to move up for him. Curious to hear your thoughts.

2. Was talking with Louis Riddick a few days ago and he made a pretty profound point I wanted to share. Mediocre teams always talk about what they want to do. "We want to compete" "we want to win the division" "we want to win the Superbowl". As if that's a unique goal...The greats focus on the process, what it takes to get there. There's no discussion about what they hope to do, it's all about the steps required to get there. Focus on the process and the results will follow. The effort should be on improving, not on pie in the sky outcomes.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast