Close

Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

2014-15 NFL Season Thread

OK so the 2013 NFL season is overÖ.which means in my line of work, itís time for the 2015 NFL season! Actually, it was time to prepare for that last fall.

So with the boss manís blessing I figured Iíd start a new thread to talk all things football. Should be totally open ended- any particular player, game, team, coach, concept, whatever post up in here and letís discuss. I am strongly inclined towards the tactical aspect of the game, especially with the draft right around the corner itís crunch time.

Iíll start off with posting portions of my reports on certain players who intrigue me. If any of you would like my thoughts on a particular player Iím happy to give them, though I do not scout the BIG10 or PAC11 so my knowledge there is modest.

Some outstanding websites around draft time

NFLphilosophy.com
    Smartfootball.com
    Profootballfocus.com
    Nationalfootballpost.com
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I’ll start with a player who has generated a ton of buzz, ‘SC end Jadeveon Clowney. He’s been a guy everyone has kept tabs on since highschool, I know several folks who felt very strongly in highschool that he would be the most talented end of line player to come out since Julius Peppers. For context, Peppers is probably the most impressive athlete I have ever personally seen in my life. But I try my best to stay out of the media narrative, and just break down what we can observe on film. So onto Clowney…

Positives
    -Ideal frame, looks every bit of 6’4 “on the hoof”. Long arms and levers, flashes heavy+active hands at the point of attack.
    -Rare ability to convert speed to power
    -Rare straight line closing speed, ’12 tape shows him routinely chase down perimeter run plays from the off side. Immobile quarterbacks routinely surprised at how quickly he closed space on them.
    -Flashes explosive and sudden power off the snap, can jolt tackles backwards
    -Simply too much for guards to handle when he reduces inside.
    -Has the frame to add another 10-15 pounds of good weight

Negatives
    -Very stiff in the hips. Not an edge bending pass rusher, prefers to take a straight line to the quarterback
    -Questionable effort and conditioning. Not confident he loves the game.
    -More sudden than outright powerful. Struggles to sustain anchor in the run game, can be washed out of the play.
    -Modest array of pass rush moves, which is not at all uncommon at that experience level. Marginal in the nuances of the game but appears to have good instincts.
    -Does not play with enough “dog”. Want to see more tenacity.
    -Currently will struggle against the power of NFL tackles, has room to grow in his frame. V lean and thin wasted, needs more bulk in his lower body to anchor and shed.

Overall: It’s easy to get too caught up in the negatives because despite what ESPN tells you, he is not a flawless prospect. With that said, he has rare straight line explosion for a player of that size and length, and has the potential to be a dominant NFL edge rusher. I’m not sure if I view him as a truly special prospect a la Peppers, but he grades out higher for me than did Von Miller or Aldon Smith. Think a more athletic and sudden Chandler Jones (which is really saying something as Jones is a heck of a player), from a pure ability standpoint. A no questions asked top 5 pick, probably the best talent in this draft. If he cares about it, he will be a superb player.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Clowney didn't have that great of a season right and his effort comes into question all the time.

I don't watch college football or really follow the draft as it really isn't as scientific as some people make it out to be. You can find gold in the later rounds all the 'experts' missed and a first round pick isn't a guarantee.

That said, I wouldn't bet a super early pick on Clowney but it all depends on the teams needs.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Clowney didn't have that great of a season right and his effort comes into question all the time.

I don't watch college football or really follow the draft as it really isn't as scientific as some people make it out to be. You can find gold in the later rounds all the 'experts' missed and a first round pick isn't a guarantee.

That said, I wouldn't bet a super early pick on Clowney but it all depends on the teams needs.
    The effort can be marginal and he plays down to the competition. Another thing to note- talented D linemen are some of the most risky picks of any position. As much as any position, it’s one where sheer talent allows some of these guys to coast all the way through college. When they encounter tackles and guards at the pro level, it’s a serious wakeup call and a lot simply don’t answer the bell (I’m looking at you, Albert Haynesworth).

Been doing the draft, or work for the draft for 3 years now. It’s far from a science, for sure. BUT- generally speaking the best players are top 15 picks, bottom line. Year in, year out, the most talented players were the best on the field going back to pee wee ball. Fans love the Tom Brady scenario where you strike gold in the 6th, but it is truly a once in a decade type deal. Your chances of landing an impact player dwindle rapidly with each round. There is no free lunch.

I could care less about College football, were it not for work. The actual game is pretty weak in my mind. So much of it is based on laughable talent disparities between programs.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I got a invite for a combine at the Miami dolphins facility. March 22, 2014... Attended the NFL combine in 2012 didn't get invited to any teams but it was a great experience all around. Was a bit small then, recently put on 20lbs of muscle so I will see what happens this time around. (RB)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    I got a invite for a combine at the Miami dolphins facility. March 22, 2014... Attended the NFL combine in 2012 didn't get invited to any teams but it was a great experience all around. Was a bit small then, recently put on 20lbs of muscle so I will see what happens this time around. (RB)
    1. Congratulations- that is an extremely impressive feat to get an on site invite.
    2. From a scouting standpoint, outside of “on the hoof” measurements work on 3 cone. Then work on 3 cone some more. Guys with contact strength are a dime a dozen, light feet are another story. I’m certainly not an agent but can tell you that is easily the most important in the gym drill I look at for in a back. Could care less about the 40 unless it’s abysmal, special, or if the ’10 is no good.

Joe runs a really good program down there, regardless of the Incognito-Martin nonsense this season. All the best man.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Today's report...

Marqise Lee WR-USC

Full Disclosure: I do not scout the PAC11. This is 100% my personal opinion.

Positives
    -Speed at all three levels of the field. Explodes off the LOS and shows ability to “uncoil” very quickly. NCAA corners were afraid to press him at LOS due to his ability to get off the ball.
    -Legitimate deep/finishing speed, can separate down the field and pulls away from secondary defenders.
    -Flashes loose and flexible hips. Raw but huge upside as a route runner, could be a tactician if he works at it. I see Chad Johnson in his prime when I watch his ’12 tape.
    -Very quick and light footed, effortlessly plants and drives at the top of in breaking and come back routes. Moves easily with the ball in his hands and is naturally elusive.
    -Was asked to run close to a full route tree at ‘SC, again showed ability to sink and get out of cuts with little wasted motion.
    -Natural hands catcher. Extends outside of his frame and plucks the ball with consistency. Capable of making the circus catch.
    -Leaping ability is a positive. Can go up and get the ball on fades or 50/50 balls.
    -Shows effort+desire as a run blocker, though technique is poor and will require refinement

Negatives
    -Sleight build, very narrow in the hips and torso. Will need to develop core strength.
    -Good height at 6, maybe 6.01 but not overwhelming size or frame.
    -At times appears dis-interested, effort against Oregon (top PAC11 game against top competition) left much to be desired.
    -Did not look like the same player in his ’13 tape. Likely due to persistent knee issues, should carry a “J” grade for medicals.
    -Raw as a player despite 3 years in a relatively pro style system. Lingering questions regarding mental aptitude and ability to digest route concepts.
    -Game needs refinement. Does not set up route stems with subtleties necessary to succeed at pro level. Largely relies on superior athletic ability to gain separation.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting.

When do you get the numbers like vertical, 40, etc.?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting.

When do you get the numbers like vertical, 40, etc.?
    All depends. Generally speaking the best measurable come at the combine. But additionally you try to get whatever you can at pro days and personal visits. Each team is allotted X number of in-house visits with prospects, and that is a huge luxury. The combine is a madhouse obviously, and I’ve heard crazy stories about long-time scouts doing all sorts of trickery to make a prospect time slower or faster to better suit his team’s needs come draft day.

So bottom line as always is the tape doesn’t lie. If I see a guy consistently pulling away in the back third of the field, I’m not too worried about his 40 in gym shorts. Great example would be Kendall Wright who we looked into out of Baylor not long ago. Don’t think he cleared mid-high 4.4s electronically, but on tape he is a legit 4.4 flat guy who will run away from you. Some people just don’t run well when the pads come on.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah well the old joke was Jerry Rice might be a 4.6 in shorts but he's a 4.0 when the pads come on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly, we see it every year. With all that said, speed is still king in the NFL. If you can’t run in this league, you better be a quarterback or have special abilities in other regards. Rice was just off the charts in terms of the subtleties of route running. Truly exceptional footwork, he set up corners so well it’s just ridiculous. Every route was 100% text book, the way they teach it in pee wee.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Jace Amaro - Texas Tech
    TE 6.044 253

Positives:
    -Immediate H/W/S mismatch when he lines up inside the hash marks. Presents classic tactical problems that only certain TEs can create- will outleap secondary defenders yet moves too well for most in line players to handle.
    -Uses his frame and height well. Highpoints the football and is an effective red zone weapon. Competes on 50/50 balls.
    -Has a lot of Aaron Hernandez to his game. Perhaps not quite the athlete (Hernandez was truly special) Naturally elusive player who understands angles and forces defenders into poor tackling attempts. Carries his weight easily and moves very well.
    -Gains separation easily, “wins fast”. Will be an immediate weapon on short down and distance plays.
    -Fast off the LOS and can get into linebackers bodies quickly, startling them with his ability to eat up grass off the snap. I expect him to run in high 4.5 range and he plays to that speed.

Negatives
    -Thinly built player. Does not posses a thick build and is very narrow in the lower body. Can be bullied at the LOS and redirected from his route stem.
    -Nagging off the field red flags. Should carry a J flag on that front.
    -Willing but poor as a blocker. Was rarely asked to block at the point of attack, and for good reason. Lacks the playing strength or demeanor to excel in that regard but can improve with time.
    - Has almost no experience playing in line, played exclusively as an off the line “move” player.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're just researching players for the Pats to draft right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're just researching players for the Pats to draft right?
    These are players who personally I will admit I am particularly high on. I can post thoughts on guards with 2nd day grades if you'd like, but that's not a very sexy read. All 3 will be gone before the Patriots pick. But hell, sure all 3 would look fantastic in NE.Clowney at the 34 elephant role? Get outta town.

If the question is whether that's what i'm doing professionally, the answer is no I have no affiliation with them. I am a lifelong fan if you haven't noticed by now though Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    These are players who personally I will admit I am particularly high on. I can post thoughts on guards with 2nd day grades if you'd like, but that's not a very sexy read. All 3 will be gone before the Patriots pick. But hell, sure all 3 would look fantastic in NE.Clowney at the 34 elephant role? Get outta town.
    Post whatever you want I'm sure there are some people interested in seeing the process.

How many other people do you work with on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a fine line, I can only share so much as I am truly very low on the totem pole of scouting and care deeply about the competitive privacy of my client. But, how many people scout for BLESTO? Oh man...many. Couldn't eyeball it, hundreds and then countless contractors at the NCAA level. Some teams have enormous scouting departments that reach all the way down to areas of talent rich states, other teams have very bare bone operations that rely on a handful of national scouts. Departments usually take on the character of their GM, sadly that's why life is usually very short as a scout. GM or coach goes, you go. I'm not looking to make a career out of this by any means, traveling to boring cities is not the most fun thing on earth.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK here's a kid I'll pound the table for on day 2. More of a "middle class" player, but absolutely critical to a roster's long term success. Most difficult part of team building is managing the age of your roster. Never underestimate the importance of speed and youth come January. You can't over do it of course, but rookie contracts are truly a one shot deal, so it's crucial to not blow these picks.

Brandon Linder - UM
    Tackle/Guard 6.054 314

Positives:
    -Ideal temperament. Physical, tough. Plays to the shadow of the whistle and is never intimidated.
    -Powerful player when he can drive his legs. Finishes running plays.
    -Superb hand placement and consistant technique at guard. Understands variety of run and pass concepts.
    -Has experience pulling around the center, but not particularly effective.
    -Starting experience, productive player.
    -Good height and build generally speaking. Carries weight well.

Negatives:
    -Not an NFL tackle. Lacks length and movement skills.
    -Marginal athlete. Heavy feet and sometimes gets rocked backwards off the ball.
    -Shorter arms limits lateral reach. If out of position, lacks natural gifts to recover.
    -I think he is best suited to player center, but would love to see him develop over a few years. Tough player.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ever bet on horses? makes a great saturday afternoon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by louis redfoot Click here to enlarge
    ever bet on horses? makes a great saturday afternoon
    Yes. Or any afternoon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Been looking over my notes on cornerback evaluation, I always find it helpful to jot down traits that wow me on tape. It’s a good way to pick out biases before they become too ingrained in your evaluation. Here are my general thoughts on scouting the corner spot, easily one of the toughest positions on the field.

Ideal H/W/S 5.01-6.001/190-205/4.4 40YD/Sub 6.8 3 Cone/38" Standing Vert

-Movement skills are first and foremost in the evaluation. More so than any other position, the corner spot requires reactive athleticism. A corner who is stiff in the hips or heavy footed will have a very tough time, and they will need other traits to bolster their game.
    -Loose hips, the ability to mirror in tight spaces and quickly sink in and out of routes
    -Light, quick feet. Must be able to bail from a back peddle and drive down on slip screens.
    -Long speed to finish plays, ideally can be beat off the line and still have the speed and reactive ability to close on the ball.
    -Strong ball skills and good hands. Must show ability to quickly dislodge the football. Ideally can finish plays and turn PBUs into interceptions. You would be surprised how many scouting departments discount plays on the ball. Some orgs care more about dissuading the throw, rather than making a play on the ball. Count me in the latter camp.
    -Long legs and compact torso. Corners who are high cut struggle to keep their center of gravity and usually lack outstanding mirror skills in short spaces. Long and lean arms strong positive trait that obviously cannot be coached. Allows corners more leeway with technique. Useful for disrupting taller, higher cut wide receivers who struggle to get off LOS.
    -Strong understanding of offensive concepts and route combinations in zone looks. Ability to break down and drive underneath crossers to limit YAC.
    -Tenacious, headstrong attitude. Must not lose confidence under any circumstances. Every corner should play with the mentality that they are the best player on the field.
    -Willingness to play the run is not a prerequisite, but makes coaching far easier.

Come to think of it, let me see if I can find some reports we wrote on Richard Sherman coming out. I don't work the west coast but I continue to under-rate Sherman and I should stop. Always a good exercise to go back on players you clearly mis-projected. Unlike many industries, we have direct access to results. The outcomes are obvious, so give us a good means of correcting mistakes.
    Last edited by 135pats; 02-15-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do you cover the Big12 much? If so, any thoughts on Kansas State players, in particular Ty Zimmerman, John Hubert, Cornelius Lucas or (looking ahead) Tyler Lockett?

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Sure. Give me a minute I have some initial thoughts on Hubert on an external hard drive.

Edit: And personally I really enjoy Big12 players. Speed.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tyler is a talented kid, a lot of Okies were not pleased when he bailed. But too early to discuss him in this context.

A portion of the full report on Hubert. Currently carries a flag for height, weight, and ball security. I would not advise to draft but many others feel differently and I respect their opinions.

Positives
    -Productive player for 3 seasons at this point. Makes plays in both passing and running games. Obviously had a huge game against KU
    -Plays with sufficient contact strength. High effort player.
    -Excellent leg drive on initial contact.
    -Muscular, well built frame. Limited size.
    -Surprisingly spry in pass pro. Willing to engage.
    -Sufficient long speed and short area explosion. Presses LOS and is decisive.

Negatives
    -Fundamentally limited due to frame. Listed at 190, donít see him at more than 180. Thick lower body and well built but probably maxed out. Will be out leveraged at the point of attack.
    -Likely a ball security threat at professional level due to size. _________ ____ small hands.
    -Not an explosive short area player. Decisive at POA but not quick footed. Elusive but not a true lateral threat.
    -Not a slow player by any means, but top end speed is merely OK. A 4.5 on tape type player and takes time to get to speed. Need to see the '10 @L.O. and 66502
    -Possesses skill set to be consistent matchup player outside of the hashes but was not used as such.
    -Limited production against higher-level competition. Snaps against OU and Texas were underwhelming in í11 and í12.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Tyler is a talented kid, a lot of Okies were not pleased when he bailed. But too early to discuss him in this context.

A portion of the full report on Hubert. Currently carries a flag for height, weight, and ball security. I would not advise to draft but many others feel differently and I respect their opinions.

Positives
    -Productive player for 3 seasons at this point. Makes plays in both passing and running games. Obviously had a huge game against KU
    -Plays with sufficient contact strength. High effort player.
    -Excellent leg drive on initial contact.
    -Muscular, well built frame. Limited size.
    -Surprisingly spry in pass pro. Willing to engage.
    -Sufficient long speed and short area explosion. Presses LOS and is decisive.

Negatives
    -Fundamentally limited due to frame. Listed at 190, don’t see him at more than 180. Thick lower body and well built but probably maxed out. Will be out leveraged at the point of attack.
    -Likely a ball security threat at professional level due to size. _________ ____ small hands.
    -Not an explosive short area player. Decisive at POA but not quick footed. Elusive but not a true lateral threat.
    -Not a slow player by any means, but top end speed is merely OK. A 4.5 on tape type player and takes time to get to speed. Need to see the '10 @L.O. and 66502
    -Possesses skill set to be consistent matchup player outside of the hashes but was not used as such.
    -Limited production against higher-level competition. Snaps against OU and Texas were underwhelming in ’11 and ’12.
    Already rep'd you above so I can't do it again, but awesome info - thanks! How would you say he compares to Sproles (another KSU grad)?

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I never like doing the NFL player comparison game, you have access to results at the pro level which makes it impossible to do a true apples to apples comparison. But with that said...Sproles the superior player but I like that parallel, think Hubert is a lower upside player but could fill a similar role. More playing strength and a more squat frame. Similar build all in all. Sproles catches the ball very well, cleanly and outside of his frame. I haven't seen that from Hubert but think he has it in him. As a runner they're in the same ballpark, Sproles is a really tough dude for what that's worth.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast