Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,096
    Rep Points
    31,291.3
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    My whole point is that any "press tune" clearly isn't doing anything for the power, as you say. And this "BMW Press Tune" for "more power"
    How do you know? How do you know which cars have what file? There is no way to know. We do know there are press files though.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    What point is there to miss? My whole point is that there is no leaked press tune for M5s, and so far doesn't seem to be evidence of that happening with the S55 cars either. That's all I'm trying to say.
    Actually, yes there is.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    442.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, because we'd know? It's not hard to compare performance data from every tested M5 and compare it to every personal M5 and see what the trend is. Plus dyno figures help. I've seen no evidence at all that there's a secret power-increasing press tune, simple as that.

    If it turns out that the S55 "tune" is just a leaked BMW file, then of course that's different. But right now we have no idea if this is the case. I would imagine they're probably working on a comp package for the M3/4 as well right now.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,096
    Rep Points
    31,291.3
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I've seen no evidence at all that there's a secret power-increasing press tune, simple as that.
    You keep focusing on the power increase and as I keep saying you're missing it does other things namely disabling the CEL or limp mode for certain events.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    If it turns out that the S55 "tune" is just a leaked BMW file, then of course that's different. But right now we have no idea if this is the case. I would imagine they're probably working on a comp package for the M3/4 as well right now.
    I would imagine they are too. I have no idea what file that is that is flashed but I doubt we will be seeing any independent testing to verify soon...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    442.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I understand what you're saying but my point is that back in 2012 and even the beginning of last year there were guys all over claiming to have this "hookup" at the dealer who would turn their car into a beast because it was the press tune. And then people started figuring out some M5s were making a ton more power than BMW said it was...and then we realized they all are because that's just what it does. I understand what you're saying completely...I guess my point is some people don't. There was a big, misinformed group of people that thought BMW was sending 750 hp M5s to the press and that if you had the right friends you could get this tune as well. No argument with you...I'm just kind of making a different point.

    The small gains by that recent flash tune seem to look very much like the difference in the S63tu comp. tune, I could totally see that being the case here too.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,096
    Rep Points
    31,291.3
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    The small gains by that recent flash tune seem to look very much like the difference in the S63tu comp. tune, I could totally see that being the case here too.
    To me it looks like a hot run vs. a cool run.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    569
    Rep Points
    545.5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The S55 ECU is already unlocked and several tuners are flashing it! PP-Performance has a stage 2 file that produces 588HP/740NM (crank): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,096
    Rep Points
    31,291.3
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lfelunden Click here to enlarge
    The S55 ECU is already unlocked and several tuners are flashing it! PP-Performance has a stage 2 file that produces 588HP/740NM (crank): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    PP-P may have another source or they may not. Let's see some independent results...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    505
    Rep Points
    326.7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Unklejoe Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for the huge post but is anyone familiar with the security on these ECUs? Or Bosch ECUs in general?

    My main question is: how is this done on a 2011 N55 for example? You are able to flash those via OBD without manually patching over the tuning protection code.
    Early N55 were 256 bit encrypted. The DME after that are 1024 bit RSA encrypted. It's like supersonic flight vs. warp drive. Much more difficult on the latter.

    I wonder if bench flashing these later DME is possible like the earlier ones?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •