Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

mFactory LSD + Defiv Lockdown Review

So it took me awhile to finally write this review up, but I do have a solid amount of miles on the LSD and lockdown kit at this point which is a good thing.

I ordered the LSD through Steven @MFactory. We corresponded mostly through email, and he was always very responsive...even when traveling out of country. I did their core exchange program, and picked up a 3.46 LSD for my 6MT car, as I heard nothing but good things about the final drive change.

After they received my payment, they began reconditioning a large housing bolted pumpkin they had there and prepping it for the LSD. Once the oil seals arrived, it only took them a day to have it prepped and ready. One of the pics attached below so it in its prepped state. Shipping was fast as well, and it was at my door a few days later. It was super clean, and the pumpkin was freshly coated black Click here to enlarge I had Rick@Defiv fit me in his busy schedule for an install, and decided to get the lockdown kit done at the same time.

Rick and I had the whole diff swap + lockdown install process done in about 4hrs, including pizza and drink breaks. Not bad at all. We took it out on the road for a quick spin to verify everything was solid, then I was on my way. Thanks again Rick!

I've been driving on it for about 800 miles now over the past month or so, and I love how it has transformed the car. The LSD still adds forward thrust to the car even while spinning in 1st and 2nd. Previously, my car would get very unpredictable, and start to kick out the rear in either direction. Now it is planted and firm, just pushing you forward. Traction is greatly improved. It's also great to be able to rotate the car easily with the gas pedal going around turns and you can literally "feel" the LSD working. The 3.46 final drive + my worn tires aren't doing me any favors currently, but I will be switching to some r-comp semi slicks very soon, and going wider.

As for the lockdown kit, it is as great as advertised! Absolutely no wheel hop on the street. I did experience a tiny tiny bit my first pass at the strip after the installs, but as soon as I lowered my tire pressure a bit it was completely gone. This can be further adjusted if I had coilovers too, but I am on stock 135i suspension. For the first 400 miles or so, I'd say there was ZERO increase in NVH. After everything broke in, I did notice a very tiny increase in NVH. I can hear a slight whine / resonance between 50-60mph and sometimes in the lower rpm, but only with the windows up. I have catless downpipes, and a custom single 3" catless midpipe, but am running the stock axle back so my car is super quiet cruising around. Anyone with a louder exhaust will not hear a thing. Regardless, it is a "cool" sound. BC Racecar.

Running the Cobb Stg 2+ basemap at the strip w/ the LSD and lockdown kit, I was running consistent 12.6 @ 113-114mph all night. I couldn't get lower than a 2.0 60', but that is my tires fault. IAT's per my logs were very high too (105*+), since it was a warm night and. I fully expect to hit 12.1 - 12.2 simply with better tires. Then a PTF pro-tune to get me into the 11's on stock turbo, 6mt, 93oct.

I highly recommend that anyone making power get an LSD. You don't really know what you're missing out on until you experience it. mFactory was great to deal with and their product performs extremely well. Same goes for the defiv lockdown kit. Together, it's a killer combo.

See pics below!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great review, and well written at that!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats on the new mods!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like your lockdown kit came with the butchered differential brace as well. Although, yours looks even more jacked up than mine! I'm honestly shocked it was sent out in the state it was in. I didn't even bother installing mine because I was supposed to be sent a replacement, but that never happened. So, more than likely, I'll be selling my defiv diff lockdown kit if anyone is interested in it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Looks like your lockdown kit came with the butchered differential brace as well. Although, yours looks even more jacked up than mine! I'm honestly shocked it was sent out in the state it was in. I didn't even bother installing mine because I was supposed to be sent a replacement, but that never happened. So, more than likely, I'll be selling my defiv diff lockdown kit if anyone is interested in it.
    There was a small clearance issue with. Rick shaved it down right on the spot to make it fit. It's just cosmetic, I could care less what it looks like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Repped for a great review.

I was personally very pleased with the service from Defiv. Very quick shipping, great communication, etc. It's just a solid product with solid customer service.

The LSD and the lockdown kit are really two of the most important mods you can make for improving the driving experience especially if you do more than go in a straight line and even then if all you do is launch on the strip.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice review. LSD does help keep the car straight. I didn't notice a difference on 60' however.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    Then a PTF pro-tune to get me into the 11's on stock turbo, 6mt, 93oct.
    That unfortunately is a stretch. I'd love to see you do it though. Good luck.

6MT is a $#@! at the strip, likely even more so with the 3.46.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Repped for a great review.

I was personally very pleased with the service from Defiv. Very quick shipping, great communication, etc. It's just a solid product with solid customer service.

The LSD and the lockdown kit are really two of the most important mods you can make for improving the driving experience especially if you do more than go in a straight line and even then if all you do is launch on the strip.
    Thank you! And yes, +1 on Defiv as well. I'm very thankful to have his shop only 20 min away.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Nice review. LSD does help keep the car straight. I didn't notice a difference on 60' however.

That unfortunately is a stretch. I'd love to see you do it though. Good luck.

6MT is a $#@! at the strip, likely even more so with the 3.46.
    Yea it is a little tough with the 3.46, but it's not a strict drag car and it's extremely fun on the street now haha. I do think an 11.8 - 11.9 will be doable on pump w/ the stock twins. I have the driver mod going for me. Hopefully once I get some wider r-comps in the rear + a bit more power it'll get me where I need to be. I won't be going back to the track until it cools off outside too.

I was running DTC full off (long press) while there also. I almost feel like I should have just tried it in one press DTC mode. Is there a "correct" choice here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to add on, I had filled with Redline 75w-90 when we installed the new pumpkin and added a magnetic fill plug. I will be changing out the fluid tomorrow and inspecting the magnet for any abnormal metal accumulation. The new fluid going in will be a mix of Redline 75w-90 and 75w-140NS (friction modifiers aren't really needed for helical / torsen diffs, but don't hurt). This will equate out to about 75w-115 mix, which is very similar to the new 75w-110 that Redline sells. It should offer a bit better protection for the beating I give the car, as well as quieting down the whine a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for the review. Keep us posted with any metal you will find :-) If not, I will be heading down this road soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you get any clunk noises when putting it in gear?
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With any new gear part, you will notice some metal shavings in the initial fluid flush. This is nothing to be concerned about though, as it is just the new part getting worn in.
    - MFactory Competition Products
    -- technik.teamMFactory.com --

Got Questions? Read our Limited-slip Differential FAQ: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...fferential-FAQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Do you get any clunk noises when putting it in gear?
    Not really, no. Maybe like 1 out of every 60 times putting it in 1st at a stop. One of my friends had a quaife in his 135i and it was much more noticeable, just about every time putting it in 1st from a stop. He also had the M3 subframe bushings though, which apparently make it more noticeable. He did not have the defiv lockdown kit which I do though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MFactory Click here to enlarge
    With any new gear part, you will notice some metal shavings in the initial fluid flush. This is nothing to be concerned about though, as it is just the new part getting worn in.
    I figured there would be some from break-in. Sounds good =)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M3 subframe bushings induce noise. Before I had mine installed I didn't hear anything with the defiv and wavetrac. Like the OP said, 1 out of 30 times or so. Once you go M3 subframe, you hear it all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just reporting back. Got the diff oil swapped out (pain in the ass having to suck the old stuff out). Magnetic drain plug only had a tiny amount of very small shavings on it, nothing out of the ordinary for the break-in oil. It was actually less than I was expecting, so I was happy with that! Old oil was discolored, but I believe this is because of the yellow paint applied to the diff gears. New 75w-140 oil is in, the heavier weight quieted down the tiny bit of 40-60mph gear whine I hear too. Everything is smooth as silk Click here to enlarge

I only got to enjoy it with my new E85 tune for a day until I woke up and found a flat tire though. 245/35 PSS were worn anyway. 265/35 Toyo R1R will be here and installed Thursday!