Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AlexQuattro Click here to enlarge
    Could you explain why you chose to go this route instead of solid shafts? Stronger is better than lighter when it comes to axles IMHO.

How much torque are they rated at?

to give you a little more info into WHY hollow shafts with larger outer diameters are stronger and better than smaller solid shafts...in torsional stress, the torsional stress = applied torque x radius. So, at the center of the shaft, since the radius = 0 there, the stress = 0. so, until you move far enough away from the center of the shaft to start generating an amount of stress that you need to start considering, the material can be removed for weight and therefore requires less torque to spin the shaft. When you start taking into account the shear forces is when you get into wall thickness and that's just determines by the cross section, which you get by subtracting the area of the inner diameter from the area of the outer diameter. Really fun stuff actually! Hope that helps you understand a little about why.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Hope that helps you understand a little about why.
    It does,

thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Clutches are being designed just now. Flywheels, we already have for 135i/335i MT. If anyone is interested in testing one, please send me a PM with your background/profile. Tester will get a super special discount Click here to enlarge
    - MFactory Competition Products
    -- technik.teamMFactory.com --

Got Questions? Read our Limited-slip Differential FAQ: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...fferential-FAQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MFactory Click here to enlarge
    Clutches are being designed just now. Flywheels, we already have for 135i/335i MT. If anyone is interested in testing one, please send me a PM with your background/profile. Tester will get a super special discount Click here to enlarge
    What power levels are the clutches being designed around? All long as they hold as much as the spec(or more) at less cost you should have plenty of buyers I would imagine
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    What power levels are the clutches being designed around? All long as they hold as much as the spec(or more) at less cost you should have plenty of buyers I would imagine
    My thoughts exactly. I'm going to (obviously) need a clutch when I choose which single I'm going with, but a clutch rated to 400 ftlb won't do me any good. If you can match a Spec stage 2+ or 3 and be cheaper, I'd give you a try for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluesun Click here to enlarge
    My thoughts exactly. I'm going to (obviously) need a clutch when I choose which single I'm going with, but a clutch rated to 400 ftlb won't do me any good. If you can match a Spec stage 2+ or 3 and be cheaper, I'd give you a try for sure.
    A clutch rated to 550 will do you no good as well Click here to enlarge For what's on the market right now the spec 3+ seems like the best option for a ST or even maxed out twins.

OP your clutches need to be able to hold the max stock frames can for a stage 1 upgrade so it has to be able to handle at least 550lbs all day every day. This would be an upgrade for people not ever planning on a ST but want to be able to handle whatever the stock frames can throw at them.

The next would be something that can handle moderate ST so something around the spec 3+ or 650-700 tq.

Finally one to handle a 1000whp build. So higher than the spec stg 5.

just my opinion, develop what you want

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interested in all the above, especially the clutch/FW if the torque capacity comes in at an appropriate level! Will send a PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the majority of posts, it would seem you guys would need something around the 550-600lbft mark?

Got Questions? Read our Limited-slip Differential FAQ: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...fferential-FAQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In for axles, especially if I ever break my M3 ones.

Can I ask what weight your racing flywheels are? Also, will they be compatible with only your clutch kits or other clutch kits as well? Though if you can make a streetable 600+ft/lb clutch and flywheel kit for a reasonable price I'd definitely be more than interested.

I'm in the market for an upgraded clutch/flywheel since my stock clutch/flywheel is starting to give me issues now with RBs. My last dyno (before I started self custom tuning) at only 19psi showed 838nM (618ft/lb) atrw...
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    I19psi showed 838nM (618ft/lb) atrw...
    Thats gotta be a high reading dyno fwiw.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the majority of posts, it would seem you guys would need something around the 550-600lbft mark?
    Can't speak for everyone here, but 550 - 600 ft*lbf is what I'm looking for. For reference, the SPEC Stage 2+ is a popular choice and is rated to 545 ft*lbf.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay guys, here's the latest so far, and what we need:

Clutch - We decided on our Twin Plate design which, of course, includes our flywheel also. MSRP will be very affordable. We have the 335i 06-08 fitment almost done, so are looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Flywheel - Our 1pc Chromoly Flywheel weighs 9kg, and can be used with the oem clutch (or any other oem fitment clutch). MSRP will make it very difficult for you to want to buy any other brand flywheel Click here to enlarge We have the 335i 06-08 fitment almost done, so are looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Suspension Arms - We are working on these just now, and should have something within the next few weeks. Again, looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Axles - We've done our preliminary research on these, and all we need now is to find some OEM Axles so that we can take our measurements. If anyone has a spare set of axles that they could loan us (and, if you currently drive a 500lbft+ car), please PM me. The donor will get a set of our new axles at no charge for testing (hence the torque requirement)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone do the axles please. Would love to buy axles without shipping the axles out.
    2007 335i MT E92
    JB4 G5 / BB Flash / Spec 2+ SMFW / AR DP / CPE FMIC
    BMS DCI / BMS OCC / RB PCV / Muffler Delete
    ST Coilovers / VMR VB3 / Nitto NT555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Thats gotta be a high reading dyno fwiw.
    Haha probably. It did seem ludicrously high to me when I first saw it. Though it was a low reading dyno in terms of power at 350 rwkw instead of 370rwkw on a dyno dynamics roller.

Okay guys, here's the latest so far, and what we need:

Clutch - We decided on our Twin Plate design which, of course, includes our flywheel also. MSRP will be very affordable. We have the 335i 06-08 fitment almost done, so are looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Flywheel - Our 1pc Chromoly Flywheel weighs 9kg, and can be used with the oem clutch (or any other oem fitment clutch). MSRP will make it very difficult for you to want to buy any other brand flywheel Click here to enlarge We have the 335i 06-08 fitment almost done, so are looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Suspension Arms - We are working on these just now, and should have something within the next few weeks. Again, looking for a serious tester. Please PM me if interested

Axles - We've done our preliminary research on these, and all we need now is to find some OEM Axles so that we can take our measurements. If anyone has a spare set of axles that they could loan us (and, if you currently drive a 500lbft+ car), please PM me. The donor will get a set of our new axles at no charge for testing (hence the torque requirement)
    Will you be doing them for M3/1M axles as well?

And for the flywheels, they'll be both 6 and 8 bolt?
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We're concentrating on the 335i fitment at the moment, so nothing for the M3 yet.

The sample we have just now is for the 8 bolt. Once this is tested and ok, we will proceed with the 6 bolt version.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am also interested in the axles. Just need you post the price

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PM Sent about the flywheel.

We're concentrating on the 335i fitment at the moment, so nothing for the M3 yet.

The sample we have just now is for the 8 bolt. Once this is tested and ok, we will proceed with the 6 bolt version.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1st thread updated with new details (including pricing) Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @MFactory will the race axles fit a 335xi?
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, I believe so Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly, that's not a good starting point. Stock turbos can make 500wtq, so I'd make a 600ftlb + (to the fly clutch) to start. So a Spec 2+ and higher. No since in swapping clutch if it is marginally better than stock (which holds well, considering).

also, I'm interested in performance axles that don't have the normal BMW markup. I'd buy ASAP.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lastly, I'd like a diff lockdown that isn't $750 for $75 worth of metal.

http://www.defivfabrication.com/n54.html
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Specs & Pricing have been put up on the 1st post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @MFactory will the flywheel fit a 135i? I have a SPEC stage 3+ looking to add a different flywheel before I install it.
    RB's, Motiv PI, AR Downpipes, ARK exhaust, Stett CAI, Stett CP TAIL BOV, ETS FMIC, 1M Ohlins road and track conversion, M3 Bushings, VTT inlets, BMS Clutch Stop. SPEC Stage 3+ with MFactory flywheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, will fit the 135i, but we only have the 06-08 8 bolt at the moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast