Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Blackstone Oil Report - Thoughts?

Howdy all, just got this report back from Blackstone and wanted to see if the gurus had any thoughts on it. The 'stone folks seem to think all is in very good shape, and my rudimentary understanding of oil reports shows everything in pretty tip top shape. But of course I value your thoughts. Fire away!

They decided to give me a random home address Click here to enlarge but oh well we can't have it all.

Edit: I should add i'm posting this particular report as this is the longest OCI run i've ever done at 6K. No plans to extent it, if anything i'll return to my normal 4K changes.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by 135pats; 07-24-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

TBN too high, needs more ethanol usage Click here to enlarge (* ethanol creates lots of acid, reduces base content of oil)

would be interesting to see a VOA

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=966144

VOA to compare to.

curious as to why your magnesium content so vastly differs... different oil formulations?

ok, twice-as-high calcium content, i'm guessing they're totally different formulations.

so not a really good VOA to compare to, damn.

still: there's absolutely nothing wrong with the UOA, just like the report states. tons of anti-wear left, not too many worn off bits/particles floating around,
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a higher res pic?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you have a higher res pic?
    For sure but I can't edit the OP at this point. LMK if that's cool and i'll replace it with a larger image, otherwise i've attached the PDF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    TBN too high, needs more ethanol usage Click here to enlarge (* ethanol creates lots of acid, reduces base content of oil)

would be interesting to see a VOA

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=966144

VOA to compare to.

curious as to why your magnesium content so vastly differs... different oil formulations?

ok, twice-as-high calcium content, i'm guessing they're totally different formulations.

so not a really good VOA to compare to, damn.

still: there's absolutely nothing wrong with the UOA, just like the report states. tons of anti-wear left, not too many worn off bits/particles floating around,
    Yea Motul makes several 5/40s so i'm not sure if that was Xcess. Believe they also revised the Xcess brew for whatever that is worth.

Great to hear your view echos mine! Lot's of use left, and not much in the way of foreign materials. Time for more methanol and more ethanol Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been using Motul Xcess 5w40 for the last 1.5 years, with change intervals around 6-7, and have been very happy. Nice to see a blackstone confirming what I thought. No oil cooler or oil catch can on my end though.
    Recommended by some local porsche guys (my main techs), they have been using it in their race cars for years.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    For sure but I can't edit the OP at this point. LMK if that's cool and i'll replace it with a larger image, otherwise i've attached the PDF
    Fixed.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, I need to get this done...then learn wtf I need to analyze it.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Damn, I need to get this done...then learn wtf I need to analyze it.
    Yep, i'd highly encourage it. It's like $25 bucks so very reasonably priced, and you can't beat the peace of mind. Gives you a rough sense of how your motor likes the oil you are running, and more importantly what type of metals are wearing in the motor. I'm learning just like everyone else but it's relieving to see the work I put into keeping the car in tip top actually...working Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for anyone interested in more: bobistheoilguy is an awesome entirely oil-based discussion forum

i'm pretty sure there's a great E85 related thread on GTRlife.. but i can't find it - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...nd-oil-choice/ is the next best i think hah
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    for anyone interested in more: bobistheoilguy is an awesome entirely oil-based discussion forum

i'm pretty sure there's a great E85 related thread on GTRlife.. but i can't find it - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...nd-oil-choice/ is the next best i think hah
    It sounds like they're just arguing in circles on that thread....now i'm confused lol.

I don't *think* Xcess is ester based but I need to check, I won't pretend to be an oil expert.

Sounds like broadly speaking folks are going to thicker oil with ethanol, though my sample didn't indicate any substantial loss of lubrication quality or shearing. IDK I think i'll stay with with this current oil and OCI unless I see something troubling. If you feel differently let me know!!
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    It sounds like they're just arguing in circles on that thread....now i'm confused lol.

I don't *think* Xcess is ester based but I need to check, I won't pretend to be an oil expert.

Sounds like broadly speaking folks are going to thicker oil with ethanol, though my sample didn't indicate any substantial loss of lubrication quality or shearing. IDK I think i'll stay with with this current oil and OCI unless I see something troubling. If you feel differently let me know!!
    yep, pretty much how those threads seem to go, facts take a long time to come out haha

most people think mobil 1 is PAO (IV) based.. not many are mainly ester based, redline is, as well as penrite 10tenths is IV/V.. possibly RP as well.. quick google shows motul xcess should be IV/V as well? 300v i believe is full ester.

not a chemist or anything but:

I assume most peoples logic is that the thicker oil thinning out over the life of E85 use will still be as thick as they 'like'... I wouldn't think that logic works too well, because the detergent loss is more concerning than the oil thinning out bit...

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...at&Number=1836

if you're not having any troubles with the oil you're using, there's absolutely no reason to change it really, so yes you're right haha
    Last edited by Flinchy; 07-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Best oil threads are on the snowmobile forums. If I could find the troll thread by the guy with the custom 16K rpm test rig that was anyalzing oils I'd post it up.

I cant find the original thread on HCS it has been deleted along with the debunk thread.

Looks like I can't post links yet. Google: the chemist r.p.m. test rig legend oil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

You really need to look at your reports on a consistent basis to try and find when abnormal wear starts. For instance, I'm doing a blackstone report every 3 oil changes to compare and see if I start getting abnormal wear. While you can look at the averages to compare to; the most accurate way is if you compare your own vehicle over time and use the same oil/intervals.

So far my reports are excellent.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
    Best oil threads are on the snowmobile forums. If I could find the troll thread by the guy with the custom 16K rpm test rig that was anyalzing oils I'd post it up.

I cant find the original thread on HCS it has been deleted along with the debunk thread.

Looks like I can't post links yet. Google: the chemist r.p.m. test rig legend oil
    I figured you'd find your way over here. Repped
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    You really need to look at your reports on a consistent basis to try and find when abnormal wear starts. For instance, I'm doing a blackstone report every 3 oil changes to compare and see if I start getting abnormal wear. While you can look at the averages to compare to; the most accurate way is if you compare your own vehicle over time and use the same oil/intervals.

So far my reports are excellent.
    Good point I have reports from when I first got the car and ran OE oil through it. I posted this as it was the first I had done with Motul so I was curious to see what others thought. Nothing can make up for a larger sample size.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge