Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

LFPF Install advice ( submersible fuel hose )

In an attempt to try and contribute as much as I do on N54tech, I wanted to give anyone installing a LPFP a word of caution.

Specifically, you 535 guys who have to remove the plastic hose the cuts across the tank over to the drivers side from the LPFP outlet and gets replace with rubber fuel hose. MAKE SURE you use GATES submersible Fuel hose GATES part number is 27093 for 1ft of 5/16 inner diameter. You will need about 18" - 22". If you use any other fuel hose the outside layer will split exposing the braided core and the fuel will escape from the hose. This specific hose must be used.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info since I'm looking at options to upgrade my lpfp. If SteveAZ comes up with a PnP option that would be ideal. However if it doesn't work I'll probably try the aem320e lpfp upgrade. Just curious how long did your setup run before going bad?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The Gates 27093 will split as well. Click here to enlarge

In addition, since you can only put in a 1' section, you'll have to put in an additional union that will create a restriction and become an additional stress point. I'd keep a close eye on it. Click here to enlarge

Pic of a 27093 hose that failed....

Click here to enlarge

and a few pics of the recent build for Peder's (Ocean's) 535 with a Walbro 450 pump that still needs to be tested but is in his possession now.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And here's a few pics of the original assembly he sent me with an AEM installed that was the 4th AEM failure for him.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I still need to test the AEM pump itself to see if the pump itself is bad and caused an over current situation or what the root cause was.

So we'll see how it goes. He's supposed to have the pump installed this weekend.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click on the banner to visit our store...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep that gates hose split on my buddy's 5er also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so what hose SHOULD you use?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use high pressure nylon pretty much exclusively. However that typically requires specific tools to do so as the lines have to be prepped, formed, and pressed on.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    I use high pressure nylon pretty much exclusively. However that typically requires specific tools to do so as the lines have to be prepped, formed, and pressed on.
    But that attention to detail is why your kit is unequivocally the best on the market Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    But that attention to detail is why your kit is unequivocally the best on the market Click here to enlarge

Aw shucks.....thanks!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thanks for the info Steve. Good to know you have seen this issue and are working on a better solution. After installing the AEM on my customers 535i and having it run great for a week...and then to get a call that all is terrible. THE LPFP wasn't initially on my mind having just installed the AEM but I was wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bummer...I'm very sorry to hear that.

No offense to anybody, but when I got the pump assembly that had an AEM pump installed in it and took a look at it...I was like...WTF? It was a mess!

I'm just waiting on my beta tester to get the pump installed and send me back some data. Once that is done...if there are no issues, I'll make this option available.

To do it right...it takes a lot of customization. That fuel bucket setup is odd to say the least! There is a lot of misinformation out there and some conclusions that were drawn that were simply incorrect.

Again, sorry to hear about the failure...good luck with it.

Steve
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi Guys,

Even the gates will fail. There is no rubber hose that can used. Agree high pressure nylon - just like the OE hose - is the one to use. You can also use it with standard hose clamps versus fuel hose clamps. I had a 450lph modded bucket with the correct gates hose 27093 and it lasted 15k miles then stranded me 500 miles from home. Second time around it lasted ~8k miles but I wasn't stranded because I opened it up for inspection thinking something might be awry. Third time around I installed Steve's bucket. It was relatively expensive and I could probably have fudged up a solution that would be solid for less, but I needed a solution and the reality is Steve's bucket is solid and a great deal if you don't want to do any engineering. Gladly paid whatever it was to never have to worry about it again.

Check FP Low regularly if you have rubber hose in the system. It should be 65-80 psi regularly. On the 2nd hose replacement I was at 43-50 psi and the car ran just fine, but clearly it was a ticking time bomb because the hose was split and losing pressure with no warning lights. Put in Steve's bucket and I pegged 79 psi all the time.

If you do use 27093 hose then your best bet is to do so with a 90 degree elbow to handle the bend coming out of the pump. This extreme angle contributes to the splitting. Also be sure to use fuel hose clamps and not normal hose clamps. In either case, the hose will probably eventually fail so I don't recommend this route either.
    Last edited by rudypoochris; 08-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.