Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N55 135i dyno w/ Vargas Stage2 Turbo

We've got the Vargas Stage2 N55 turbo running on our 2011 135i DCT car and was finally able to hit up the dyno for a little tuning today. The vehicle is FBO but equipped with a CPE replacement catted DP. We've recently modified both the E series N55 ISO JB4 firmware for large turbo support and developed an entirely new back end flash. To enable the JB4 large turbo maps you just enable the 3.5 bar TMAP sensor using version 5.5 or later.

Click here to enlarge

This changes map 1 to 16psi, map 2 to 19psi, and methanol mapping as high as your turbo will take you. All with reduced taper to redline to let the larger turbo shine.

Dyno testing was done on simulated 93 octane (91 + 1 can of NOS octane booster), and the methanol testing was done with a single CM10 nozzle. Overall very pleased with the results especially for an odor free vehicle. The pump map is a touch aggressive but really showcases what the turbo can do. On pump gas I think the car would come very close if not take our F80 M3 if the M3 is running the stock tuning. And on meth would come very close to the M3 on the E30 map.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry now that you've been able to push N55s a bit, i'm curious as to what your overall thoughts are on that motor relative to the 54. We always speculate about bottom end strength and all that jazz, but it's never really gotten beyond speculation.

It's a broad question but what do you think of the 55 as a tuning platform?

It sure as hell seems octane hungry based on those deltas.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool! Some great news for n55 guys Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Terry now that you've been able to push N55s a bit, i'm curious as to what your overall thoughts are on that motor relative to the 54. We always speculate about bottom end strength and all that jazz, but it's never really gotten beyond speculation.

It's a broad question but what do you think of the 55 as a tuning platform?

It sure as hell seems octane hungry based on those deltas.
    On the N55 as a higher HP motor, who knows. I've not torn one down yet other than the top end for VANOS repairs. On the short block I presume it's using the same cast pistons the N54 uses and that as long as its tuned safely should be OK for 550-600whp. We've been running it at 475whp on DrN55 for some time without issue. The combustion chamber on this motor is really tight MBT is much lower than you'd think. Around 5-6 degrees when running 20psi+ on a larger turbo. The OEM timing curve of 6-8 degrees is about perfect for the OEM turbo with higher octane as well.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 07-21-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@!ing great result, more torque now at 5800 than 3xxx before, A+
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet. Nice work Terry. My only beef is with BMW - why didn't they ever offer a DCT in an E90!?

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking good man! Sounds like this new maps should really help bring out the potential of the bigger turbo for the guys running JB's. Any plans to do some E85 tuning on it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Sweet. Nice work Terry. My only beef is with BMW - why didn't they ever offer a DCT in an E90!?

-Rich
    They did, I think. But EU cars only. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Looking good man! Sounds like this new maps should really help bring out the potential of the bigger turbo for the guys running JB's. Any plans to do some E85 tuning on it?
    We have a 255 inline on order and once that is in we'll do up an E85 no meth map.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good Click here to enlarge

Why did you stop at 6400rpm?
    Do you need the 3.5bar sensor if you are only going to 20/21psi?
    Also interesting that you have settled on 6 degrees of timing rather than the 9 you were previously running.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The turbo stops making power over 6500rpm so I just stopped revving it up. We shift it around 6000rpm.

On the timing I found 6 degrees to be a pretty good MBT value for it. From 6-11 in 1 degree increments there is basically no gain all else being equal. Dropping below 6 started to drop power a bit. The pump map I ran on the same curve which produced the best figures but a curve of around 5 degrees would be more appropriate. We are evaluating using the same curve with a little less aggressive boost curve. Because it will simplify things for the end users if the same back end flash can be optimized for both on and off meth, allowing on the fly map changes where the JB4 changes the boost profile, IAT decay, and fuel trims, with no need to swap flash maps to optimize either.

The 3.5 bar map is required for > 21psi. In the JB4 we've also made the 3.5 bar map sensor the "setting" to enable the larger turbo maps. So you'll need it if you plan to run the maps shown in the dyno. Although technically speaking you could just make your own map 6 boost profile values (below 21psi) without the sensor.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 07-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Having a little trouble reading that, do I see 463hp and 483tq?
    E90 335i - JB4 | DCI
    E60 535i - Sport Pkg
    07 Rx-8 - Catless MP, Tuned, Sway Bars
    BMW Performance Parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AGP1328 Click here to enlarge
    Having a little trouble reading that, do I see 463hp and 483tq?
    yeah its 463 hp and 483 tq
    Click here to enlarge <-- Click on pic for the build thread Full 1m conv. Pure Stage 2, helix intercooler, JB4 E85, Seibon Gtr hood, Sparta Evolution calipers and rotors, black lines, apex ec'7s, cks coil overs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The turbo stops making power over 6500rpm so I just stopped revving it up. We shift it around 6000rpm.

On the timing I found 6 degrees to be a pretty good MBT value for it. From 6-11 in 1 degree increments there is basically no gain all else being equal. Dropping below 6 started to drop power a bit. The pump map I ran on the same curve which produced the best figures but a curve of around 5 degrees would be more appropriate. We are evaluating using the same curve with a little less aggressive boost curve. Because it will simplify things for the end users if the same back end flash can be optimized for both on and off meth, allowing on the fly map changes where the JB4 changes the boost profile, IAT decay, and fuel trims, with no need to swap flash maps to optimize either.

The 3.5 bar map is required for > 21psi. In the JB4 we've also made the 3.5 bar map sensor the "setting" to enable the larger turbo maps. So you'll need it if you plan to run the maps shown in the dyno. Although technically speaking you could just make your own map 6 boost profile values (below 21psi) without the sensor.
    Thanks Terry, I appreciate you sharing all this info.
    Would rep again if I could.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    >7/13 mfg date N55's have a different single turbo; which appears to make more power with oem parts + tunes and so one. wondering if the block, crank, rods, pistions, VANOS, etc is all the same? if so, that would help so that different / bigger turbos can yield 600+gains? At that point what would be better about the N54? VANOS alone should be a differentiation?

Thanks to all you vendors helping push the n55 forward, us owners appreciate it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    who cares what it has inside, lets put rods/pistons/studs in it, then let it fly Click here to enlarge

By the way, our CNC head porting are showing some AMAZING CFM gains.

Like, a lot. We're talking some major power gains just from headwork.

any of these new engines will benefit from it!
    Last edited by alex@ABRhouston; 07-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    who cares what it has inside, lets put rods/pistons/studs in it, then let it fly Click here to enlarge

By the way, our CNC head porting are showing some AMAZING CFM gains.

Like, a lot. We're talking some major power gains just from headwork.

any of these new engines will benefit from it!
    hmmmm, ok? sounds yummy but first i've heard? more info please? Click here to enlarge

Cost, process etc. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iuhutch Click here to enlarge
    hmmmm, ok? sounds yummy but first i've heard? more info please? Click here to enlarge

Cost, process etc. Thanks!
    X2 id love to get the heads ported to show some real gaines and make more power with less boost and more flow pm me info on it
    Click here to enlarge <-- Click on pic for the build thread Full 1m conv. Pure Stage 2, helix intercooler, JB4 E85, Seibon Gtr hood, Sparta Evolution calipers and rotors, black lines, apex ec'7s, cks coil overs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VegasJD - you are killing me bro. Where are the vidz!? left a $#@!ting comment on your latest youtube video... LOL Click here to enlarge

plz plz plz? I know you have them Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iuhutch Click here to enlarge
    @VegasJD - you are killing me bro. Where are the vidz!? left a $#@!ting comment on your latest youtube video... LOL Click here to enlarge

plz plz plz? I know you have them Click here to enlarge
    lol yeah thanks i deleted them i should have reported them but i didnt i dont need negative comments on my videos, im the driver ok, my passengers are my video guys im waiting for like 4 videos of runs from last week and the ones i did today racing a 500hp mustang on e85, and 2 from the intial setup, what i dont think you realize is the tune and flash i just got yesterday, i had basic stuff and flash, it also took me over 2 months before i could even back flash my car so its been a lot longer journey to get the car there. It pulled really good in this heat tonight to almost 20lbs boost with meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ABR - I would love to see some data backing this claim up. In a turbo application more CFM does not always equal more power. You actually lose velocity, but if the head is one of the limiting factors then you can gain HP. If the turbo is the limiting factor, then porting the head if it is already free flowing may be worthless. I haven't seen anyone else try this so getting some info out there if it is a good mod will get you more business!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Its in the works. Trust me on this.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VegasJD Click here to enlarge
    lol yeah thanks i deleted them i should have reported them but i didnt i dont need negative comments on my videos, im the driver ok, my passengers are my video guys im waiting for like 4 videos of runs from last week and the ones i did today racing a 500hp mustang on e85, and 2 from the intial setup, what i dont think you realize is the tune and flash i just got yesterday, i had basic stuff and flash, it also took me over 2 months before i could even back flash my car so its been a lot longer journey to get the car there. It pulled really good in this heat tonight to almost 20lbs boost with meth
    A bit melodramatic don't you think? I guess I could have fluffed up my verbiage a bit but my questions in the comments are still valid.

#POP - progress over protection; glad to hear you're getting her all buttoned up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VegasJD Click here to enlarge
    A bit melodramatic don't you think? I guess I could have fluffed up my verbiage a bit but my questions in the comments are still valid.

#POP - progress over perfection; glad to hear you're getting her all buttoned up!
    Last edited by iuhutch; 07-24-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP edited for formatting and promoted to the front page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast