Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I certainly hope so....or it is looking like our friendship is going to be over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu Click here to enlarge
    I certainly hope so....or it is looking like our friendship is going to be over.
    You find out who your real friends are when it comes to $.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My bill is up to $5K now....my mechanic claims that he has had to buy a bunch of parts (plugs, pumps, etc) he is going to give me an itemized list.
    That is why I ended doing all the work on my car before when I installed the S/C. The only reason I let HPF work on my car this time around is because they have an image to uphold and more to loose by pissing a customer off.

I'd be pissed if he didn't tell you this ahead of time. The guy I had doing my home renovation pulled that crap with me and I fired his ass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Make sure you are getting the parts through www.getbmwparts.com, you can use www.realoem.com to look up part numbers. If you have a shop buy the parts your going to pay full retail plus mark up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Best BMW mechanic I have found in Houston so far is F2 Motorwerks 14714 Memorial Dr Houston, TX 77079 - (281) 920-5941

After going through about a dozen mechanics, Fernando at F2 has my loyalty now for work I can't do or don't feel like doing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Even the guys that I have ended up with over here that are very helpfull and do good work on my car have some less than perfect interactions with other car markets. While I'm glad they've always been good to me, I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling with them after hearing other people's experiences.
    I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect quality work for a fair price. It seems like if you want good work you have to drive hours and then pay out the nose unless you live in California lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jeez, that's a huge bill you're racking up.

Yes, the shop charge is going to depend on the labor rate and how many hours they estimate it (not even sure what book time is on this). I swapped a broken S54 out in my garage over 4 weekends, finished just before Thanksgiving, and the total time was about 30 hours. It's the second time I've replaced an engine, the first one being an M20 in an E30. If I had to do it again, it would be doable in about 4 working days. OEM replacement parts cost roughly $300 and were mostly maintenance items, with the odd one-time use bolt thrown in.

I've helped out with a supercharger install for a friend as well (AA kit on an M52) and while it was confusing at times because of poorly written instructions, I think removing and reinstalling a kit is very easy.

So taking all of that into consideration, somewhere around $2k seems like a reasonable price to me. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I've got firsthand experience and that's what I'd accept if someone asked me to do the job for them. For a friend, I'd do it for much less.

Best of luck, OP. I hope reading about your experience will help others avoid a similar situation.

Just for fun, a shot of the swap from a couple of weeks back:
    Click here to enlarge
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge
    M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
    KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think much of the cost is associated with things we need to replace that are different from what I had with my high HP SC set up. For example I had 850 cc injectors which obviously are not going to work on a stock NA set up.

Considering all the parts and the labor, how much should it cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think much of the cost is associated with things we need to replace that are different from what I had with my high HP SC set up. For example I had 850 cc injectors which obviously are not going to work on a stock NA set up.

Considering all the parts and the labor, how much should it cost?
    I can understand that. New stock injectors are $100 a piece, so that can quickly add $600 to the bill. Of course, you could pick up a used OEM set for less than $200 on the forums (an acquaintance even sold a set for $50) and even have them reconditioned for a total much less than $600. The work involved is removing two bolts that hold the fuel rail, removing the retaining clips, then pulling the injectors out. It's easy enough with the engine in the car, downright trivial with it out of the car.

What else was replaced?
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge
    M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
    KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cyberkaa Click here to enlarge
    Of course, you could pick up a used OEM set for less than $200 on the forums (an acquaintance even sold a set for $50) and even have them reconditioned for a total much less than $600.
    You are a wealth of knowledge... good point.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You are a wealth of knowledge... good point.
    Thanks. Learned a lot of from the forums. Just giving something back. Click here to enlarge
    -Kalim
    (klx photo studio)
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12