Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I think what they did was cut the stock housing off the manifold and weld a Vband onto it for the PTE. Pretty funny we have a project floating around here somewhere with a cut up N55 manifold with a Vband on it, we will get to it one of these days. In the mean time, customer is coming in next week for Stage 2 DBB N55, we will be developing the Shotgun for the N55 on his car, running 100% E85, and our stage 2 should put the N55 easily over the 500WHP mark with near stock spool.
    cant wait till the parts can work on my car Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge <-- Click on pic for the build thread Full 1m conv. Pure Stage 2, helix intercooler, JB4 E85, Seibon Gtr hood, Sparta Evolution calipers and rotors, black lines, apex ec'7s, cks coil overs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I think what they did was cut the stock housing off the manifold and weld a Vband onto it for the PTE. Pretty funny we have a project floating around here somewhere with a cut up N55 manifold with a Vband on it, we will get to it one of these days. In the mean time, customer is coming in next week for Stage 2 DBB N55, we will be developing the Shotgun for the N55 on his car, running 100% E85, and our stage 2 should put the N55 easily over the 500WHP mark with near stock spool.
    Can't wait!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 6262 isn't a bad turbo. Spool isn't great, but is pretty decent for a turbo that size. I think the BW EFR series is the best out there right now. The GTX's are very nice too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not as impressed now.
    Why not? The stock manifold should provide some pretty good flow, and it takes the guesswork out of building the manifold. Its a solid design from BMW, and mounting a new turbo in the factory position is easier. Sure its not all blinged out and a fancy tubular manifold but it does the job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Why not? The stock manifold should provide some pretty good flow, and it takes the guesswork out of building the manifold. Its a solid design from BMW, and mounting a new turbo in the factory position is easier. Sure its not all blinged out and a fancy tubular manifold but it does the job.
    Guess I wanted to see a badass aftermarket manifold with many different turbo options.

I'm not saying the BMW design is bad but aren't you going to be a bit limited by trying to fit turbos to it?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with tony, A garrett gtx or fp hta series of turbo would be better suited. Spool faster and have the same top end power potential. I just wonder if the n55 motor will be as strong as the n54 motor is....If so, I forsee this as a better choice since all you have to do to run a big single is cut the manifold, weld a vband on there, create a downpipe, and tune it for proper fueling. also cheap too since n54 and n55 cars are becoming even cheaper.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Guess I wanted to see a badass aftermarket manifold with many different turbo options.

I'm not saying the BMW design is bad but aren't you going to be a bit limited by trying to fit turbos to it?
    to a point...the manifold does sit pretty close to the block, but Im sure with some ingenuity you can 'tilt' the turbo away from the motor...

As for now, I bet the stock air inlet pipe is prolly retained, and the compressor outlet pipe off the turbo to the intercooler is only some 4-5" long...easy to fabricate and replace. Sleeper status when you pop the hood!

I am in favor of seeing a back purged 321 stainless manifold at some point though...even IF its a 'log' design..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    even IF its a 'log' design..
    I'd prefer to see a log. Cheap to produce and capable of plenty of HP.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    to a point...the manifold does sit pretty close to the block, but Im sure with some ingenuity you can 'tilt' the turbo away from the motor...

As for now, I bet the stock air inlet pipe is prolly retained, and the compressor outlet pipe off the turbo to the intercooler is only some 4-5" long...easy to fabricate and replace. Sleeper status when you pop the hood!

I am in favor of seeing a back purged 321 stainless manifold at some point though...even IF its a 'log' design..
    N55 manifold sits much further away from the block then the N54's do, stock intake pipe will not fit an aftermarket turbo, compressor outlet pipe will also not work, don't ask us how we know. Its funny we were messing with this stuff such a while ago and just didn't have time to finish it. What they did is very easy to implement and should work well. I am going to just go ahead and finish this project we started and get some results

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    N55 manifold sits much further away from the block then the N54's do, stock intake pipe will not fit an aftermarket turbo, compressor outlet pipe will also not work, don't ask us how we know. Its funny we were messing with this stuff such a while ago and just didn't have time to finish it. What they did is very easy to implement and should work well. I am going to just go ahead and finish this project we started and get some results
    I havent been under there in a few years, you're prolly right.

I have to dig up the article on the 'other forum', but I was the first guy to tear into an N55 when they were first released....I had pics of the downpipe, the turbo setup, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldn't chopping the turbo off an N55 manifold and v-banding on a new one also bolt up to the N54?

With some trickery, I'd image it could be kept twinscroll also (run divided up to a single WG)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    any new info on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, its still sitting on the engine stand where it has for the past upteen months. We have so much going on its hard to find the time, but we will finish it one of these days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123