Close

Thread: VT2-500 dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

VT2-500 dyno

I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd post my dyno here also.
    I finally got back to the dyno today. After comparing the dyno it looks like my stock header/exhaust (391 hp) made more power than my headers with 400 cats (407 hp) and I lost some tq. Look below 6800 rpm. The reason my run today is so smooth is because I mixed in some 100 octane to make approx 93-94 octane so it wouldn't pull timing up top like it did the previous two times.
    stock - 276 hp
    ESS VT-445 - 370 hp
    ESS VT2-500 - 391 hp
    ESS VT2-500 w/headers and 400 CATs in sect 1 - 407 hp

Ignore the boost & AFR those weren't hooked up.

I'm scratching my head, this doesn't make sense to me, I thought it would flow better with the header and cats in sect 1.
    Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Thats still a good rise in HP, different days can produce different results, a matter of just a few hp/tq wouldnt be a huge discrepancy,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

How much is this kit?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It was a much colder day yesterday than the 391 hp a few weeks ago. Now I'm questioning if I should go back to stock?... Hopefully it was just a bad day. I'd prefer having the power down low than peak hp and according to my graph the stock exhaust system looks better. I'm happy with 407 hp, but with all that work I'd expect a lot better than stock, not worse.
    The kit is approx. $8000.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

its not enough, for me, to go back becaus of the loss of a couple #'s. look at what you gained. those curves w/new setup are straight as an arrow, where the old stuff is wavy..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robbieracer Click here to enlarge
    It was a much colder day yesterday than the 391 hp a few weeks ago. Now I'm questioning if I should go back to stock?... Hopefully it was just a bad day. I'd prefer having the power down low than peak hp and according to my graph the stock exhaust system looks better. I'm happy with 407 hp, but with all that work I'd expect a lot better than stock, not worse.
    The kit is approx. $8000.
    407 is pretty respectable and welcome.

What is your boost set to anyway?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This kit is rated at 7 psi of boost.
    The reason I had a nice smooth line this time is because I added some 100 octane to my 91 to make approx 94 octance. I wanted to make sure timing wouldn't be pulled up top like it did the previous two runs. In comparison, it my stock exhaust still looks better down low.
    I welded in 400 cats in the front of sect 1. and I'm thinking it may be causing a little restriction. I just ordered some new 400 cats and I'm going to weld those into the back of another OEM sect 1 to compare the differences. I'm hoping it'll improve a little.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I welded in 400 cats in the front of sect 1. and I'm thinking it may be causing a little restriction. I just ordered some new 400 cats and I'm going to weld those into the back of another OEM sect 1 to compare the differences. I'm hoping it'll improve a little.
    Why 400 cell?

I wanted to make sure timing wouldn't be pulled up top like it did the previous two runs. In comparison, it my stock exhaust still looks better down low.
    Ok, so on pump it would pull the timing? Water-meth might be something you should consider...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My thought on 400 cell was to keep the noise down... Does anyone know if this is true? I've heard the difference between 400 & 200 cell cats is equal to 15% difference in flow, so I figured it was minimal between the two. Not sure if this is accurate information? My other thougtht was 400 cell might keep the SES off for post o2 efficiency, but it seems intermittant, It's better when it's cold outside.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

My thought on 400 cell was to keep the noise down... Does anyone know if this is true? I've heard the difference between 400 & 200 cell cats is equal to 15% difference in flow, so I figured it was minimal between the two. Not sure if this is accurate information? My other thougtht was 400 cell might keep the SES off for post o2 efficiency, but it seems intermittant, It's better when it's cold outside.
    It is minimal but as is the noise difference I would think...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got my car dyno'd again, and I gotta say I'm very surprised with my results. The only difference from the last run to this one was 200 cats (metal) welded at the back of OEM sect 1 instead of 400 cats (ceramic) welded at the front of OEM sect 1. I never thought I could get these kind of #'s, but it appears timing is still being pulled at the top, so maybe there's a little left on the table. I logged 7.6 psi of boost.

Stock exhaust 391 HP w/91 octane (timing being pulled)
    Header w/400 cats w/94 octane (Loss of Hp and Tq below 6800rpm compared to stock)
    Header w/200 cats w/94 octane

I mixed in 100 octane to prevent timing from being pulled so I could get a more accurate Hp/Tq reading.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The 100 octane is the reason for the change, you just saw the effect of race gas and better flowing cats Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I mixed in 100 octane with 91 octane both times (407 & 440 whp) to make 94 octane. So the only difference was the cats and the placement of them, the fuel mixture was the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I mixed in 100 octane with 91 octane both times (407 & 440 whp) to make 94 octane. So the only difference was the cats and the placement of them, the fuel mixture was the same.
    Yes, but not on the 391 pull.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, correct. My goal was trying to prevent timing from being pulled since it cost $80 each time on the dyno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Yes, correct. My goal was trying to prevent timing from being pulled since it cost $80 each time on the dyno.
    You did it the right way adding the 100 octane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Nice pick up in powers. What is the price of this kit/setup?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He said around 8k... Nice results!
    JB4LIFE