Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Just noticed what wastegates you're going to use. I might add that there might not be space for two of those. PTE wastegates are much bigger than TIAL, esp the 46mm. I would rec 38mm Tial MVS for tight spaces like this you will encounter.
    Cool. That is useful information. Ill do that instead. Thanks!
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

good luck Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Cool. That is useful information. Ill do that instead. Thanks!
    Anytime, goodluck on the build!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    No one is flipping out, when you ask for advice and it is given, then you say thanks anyways I am going to stick with what you have because you already ordered it, then there is really no point in asking for advice, my biggest piece of advice after reading your posts is, do not try to do this on your own, you do not know enough to do it right and it is going to end up coming out poorly. Do a google search for weld els, that is the material you need to use at least SCH 10.
    What would be preferred out of Sch10 304L and 321 16ga?

the sch10 stuff is thicker, so stronger, but the 321 is suggested in general as the 'best' to make a manifold out of given high temps? even though the thickest available is not only thinner, but incredibly higher priced.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    What would be preferred out of Sch10 304L and 321 16ga?

the sch10 stuff is thicker, so stronger, but the 321 is suggested in general as the 'best' to make a manifold out of given high temps? even though the thickest available is not only thinner, but incredibly higher priced.
    I would suggest their Sch 30 stuff, its very strong and not terribly expensive.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...f_cat=Weld+Els

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Hey Guys,

Figured I'd share my build/progress in converting to single. This thread will hopefully allow me to share my progress and get any feedback/assistance I might need as I come across different obstacles.

The current plan is to go with the following setup

-PTE 6266 Gen 2, Ported S cover, T4 Divided 1.00 A/R, 3 5/8" V-band Discharge
    -twin PTE 46mm Wastegates
    -custom fabbed twin scroll manifold, downpipe, and dump tubes
    -MAC solenoid

I realize there's other ancillary things I will need to upgrade (I have a list, lol), but the initial project is just get the aspiration conversion done. Don't want to do too many projects at once. Any constructive feedback/criticism is welcome.

Here's the pictures! (sorry, some of these were taken through my old potato, i have since acquired a new spud)

Getting started with the tear-down...
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...c8fc2708-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...1824f688-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...ab26d414-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...1abad55b-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...b98ebd6f-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...5acd2f3b-1.jpg
    RBs out. They look to be in excellent condition. Such tiny!

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...20ab1051-1.jpg
    RB's next to a PTE 6266 JB (not mine, this one is going on a Supra soon)

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...62f755dd-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...2263e427-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...8029789b-1.jpg
    That bottom lip of the flat surface where the exhaust ports are is razor sharp! Cut the crap out of myself on it.
    Enjoyed this post.

I wish you luck man you have a bunch of work ahead of you but a good gameplan. Looking forward to seeing it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I would suggest their Sch 30 stuff, its very strong and not terribly expensive.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...f_cat=Weld+Els
    sch30 is WAY thicker than 10 no? is weight a concern at that size?

a thinner tube with bracing would have to weigh a good amount less than sch30, let alone 10?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

sch30 is WAY thicker than 10 no? is weight a concern at that size?

a thinner tube with bracing would have to weigh a good amount less than sch30, let alone 10?
    We use sch40. Probaby 5-10 lbs difference through the whole mani at most.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We use sch40. Probaby 5-10 lbs difference through the whole mani at most.
    that's a reasonable amount of weight to me, purely from that one item

sch40 must be crazy thick, no worries about breaking there lol.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

that's a reasonable amount of weight to me, purely from that one item

sch40 must be crazy thick, no worries about breaking there lol.
    Yes but it is insurance as well so to speak. There is a reason why we stand-by lifetime warranty for our fabricated parts.

Our fabricator builds very high hp custom jobs. Usually 1000-2000hp. He stated that sch40 is a bit overkill for the power that we are making. I said use the best of the best just in case. No excuses to make the power you want.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes but it is insurance as well so to speak. There is a reason why we stand-by lifetime warranty for our fabricated parts.

Our fabricator builds very high hp custom jobs. Usually 1000-2000hp. He stated that sch40 is a bit overkill for the power that we are making. I said use the best of the best just in case. No excuses to make the power you want.
    I've been reading a lot about welding and manifold fabrication lately, there's so many different opinions, information that completely contradicts others

lots of sources say 'woo thick 304!' others say 'woo thicker 304!' and others, 'it's too stiff and that's bad! it needs some flex!' most say '$#@! yeah 321!' with mixed amounts of little information on it, but there's no real consensus on any of it, or a why... or when to use what.

about the only real consensus is it doesn't really matter what's used post turbo haha.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

UPDATE: Materials arrived yesterday afternoon. Have decided to make a prototype out of the 16g, then another out of schedule 10 later on. So here's the pics:

Click here to enlarge
    Toobin'

Click here to enlarge
    Better pic of the toobin' (flange/o2 bungs top left)

Click here to enlarge
    some finessing of the flanges

Click here to enlarge
    This man says he knows how to handle his pipe!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Starting to look like something...
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

UPDATE: Materials arrived yesterday afternoon. Have decided to make a prototype out of the 16g, then another out of schedule 10 later on. So here's the pics:

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...e1d7ccd3-1.jpg
    Toobin'

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...17b2196e-1.jpg
    Better pic of the toobin' (flange/o2 bungs top left)

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...9190aff7-1.jpg
    some finessing of the flanges

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...50404244-1.jpg
    This man says he knows how to handle his pipe!

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...6a499e3a-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...02e847ce-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...fa32dcfb-1.jpg
    Starting to look like something...
    In other words, you decided to ignore every ones advice, make it out of 16 Gauge, and when it breaks (its not going to take long) you pull everything apart will make another one....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh darn, I didnt listen to the guy on the internet. Besides, from what I read on N54tech, you should probably be more concerned with your customers than me.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Oh darn, I didnt listen to the guy on the internet. Besides, from what I read on N54tech, you should probably be more concerned with your customers than me.
    He is just trying to help you out. Yes maybe he comes off a little condescending but it's frustrating when more than one person told you that you're doing it wrong and instead of listening, returning the products and getting SCH10, you're being stubborn and childish. Good luck with your "prototype".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by triggz Click here to enlarge
    He is just trying to help you out. Yes maybe he comes off a little condescending but it's frustrating when more than one person told you that you're doing it wrong and instead of listening, returning the products and getting SCH10, you're being stubborn and childish. Good luck with your "prototype".
    You come across as condescending as well. I've already said I would order sch10. Lets not start with the name calling. That, in itself, is childish.

TIL people on the internet get seriously butt-hurt about what type of steel you use on your own car.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You come across as condescending as well. I've already said I would order sch10. Lets not start with the name calling. That, in itself, is childish.

TIL people on the internet get seriously butt-hurt about what type of steel you use on your own car.
    Ok you will order it, great! But why go through the hassle and labor of building a prototype that WILL fail in a very short period of time when you could have just returned the materials you bought and did it right the first time? You should listen and say "thank you" for the advice the community is giving you, rather than act as if we are incompetent.

This is clearly your first time doing something like this or else you wouldn't have asked for feedback and assistance. Also, the shop you're dealing with probably has never tackled such a job or they would've advised you that the materials are weak for this project.

Nobody is butt-hurt, we are just laughing and shaking our heads at you because you decided to go against everyone's suggestions. Making a prototype out these materials is useless and a waste of time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Do it right the first time, use 316 sch10.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Ok you will order it, great! But why go through the hassle and labor of building a prototype that WILL fail in a very short period of time when you could have just returned the materials you bought and did it right the first time? You should listen and say "thank you" for the advice the community is giving you, rather than act as if we are incompetent.

This is clearly your first time doing something like this or else you wouldn't have asked for feedback and assistance. Also, the shop you're dealing with probably has never tackled such a job or they would've advised you that the materials are weak for this project.

Nobody is butt-hurt, we are just laughing and shaking our heads at you because you decided to go against everyone's suggestions. Making a prototype out these materials is useless and a waste of time.
    You're laughing at me? I'm hurt.

As fun as all this internet arguing is, its getting tiresome. End point. I'm making the first manifold out of 16g 304SS.
    Get over it. Ill use the first to make a jig, and then make a second one out of stronger material.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You're laughing at me? I'm hurt.

As fun as all this internet arguing is, its getting tiresome. End point. I'm making the first manifold out of 16g 304SS.
    Get over it. Ill use the first to make a jig, and then make a second one out of stronger material.
    Enjoy wasting your time and money. Good luck

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

This is comedy, I will keep my subscription to this one intact just to see fun unfold. You really should mount that turbo to the chassis like you were going to do in the first place, to make sure it doesn't move around.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

0 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    How professional of you, don't you have better things to do? Like screwing your customers over.

Edit: As stated previously, I'll admit that mounting the turbo to the chassis was a bad idea.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

He may be using subpar quality materials right now, but he already knows this and said hes just doing it to make a prototype. I doubt he plans to run this manifold on his car. Seems like he moves quick and wants to get it done fast so thats good too. As far as the jig you plan to make, are you planning to make a production run of these manifolds in the future?

Best of luck and hopefully it all works out! I also will be staying tuned to this thread, just because I have a feeling you will be updating often with pics and progress. Can't wait until you get the other materials in.
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Let him do it his way. Advise him, don't control him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast