Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

E92 N54 Belly pan fabricated

I had a belly pan fabricated for my E92. Initially problem was my rear diffuser warping from parachute effect at freeway speeds and higher. Had a front pan piece also made while it was being done.
    Goal was to a address a few issues or improve where possible.

1) Seal the rear bumper
    2) Vented engine pan to allow air to escape and minimize engine bay pressure. Better cooling back thru cylinder 6.
    3) Vent for IC and radiator air flow.
    4) Duct for transmission. allow as much air flow as possible with rear trans vents.
    5) Increased size of all stock tire air diverters. Tires amount to approx. 30% of overall drag Click here to enlarge (might be making that $#@! up but seems like I read that somewhere). Increased both width and height of stock rubber diverters.
    6) Pan has a tiered set up so each section served as a vent for next section.
    7) Lightweight aluminum but thicker then tin foil.

Some photos during fab. Will get try to get some final pics next time I get the thing on jack stands or lifted.

During the whole design one thing came up that some of you can take from this thread. Your stock cowl prevents high pressure air in to the engine bay. Removing it effectively creates a wall of pressure in your bay, that reduces amount of air able to pass through ducts/radiator/IC. The shape of the stock cowl is perfect. Edges are open allowing venting, center high pressure area is sealed. Removing it is counterproductive.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like an interesting project.
    Keen to see some clearer pictures and hear your impressions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What would something like this cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge but it's so much easier to work on the car with the cowl off. I haven't had mind on either of my N54s in $#@!, like 2 years probably.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Too bad you took your pictures with an iPhone instead of a phone with a real camera( Click here to enlarge )
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok maybe this is stupid but is there any concern as to how this affects airflow?

Regardless, well done thread and repped.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks awesome. Should reduce lift and help engine bay temps and cooling significantly. I'm surprised no one offers something along the lines of this for the e9x cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool. What are your impressions thus far?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd love to see some real pics of these. I've noticed somehow the factory one under the engine of my car has gotten cracked up quite a bit and surprised nobody has offered a stronger one. Is there an easy way to test down force on the car at speed to see if there were any differences.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd imagine a remote air pressure monitor. Here's one...just connect 5 ft of some tubing out the window and duct taped to the bottom of the car. Have the passenger not the pressure vs. speed; before and after. Hopefully the mod creates a much lower pressure under the car!
    http://www.grainger.com/product/UEI-TEST-INSTRUMENTS-Single-Input-Digital-Manometer-6CMT9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6CMT9_AS01?$smthumb$
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT TBI & STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Will get some good pics Sunday when I have the car jacked and give you guys more thorough response. Really enjoyed the design process and am glad to share what I learned with those interested.

Couple quick notes
    @brusk The physics are sound, did a lot of research on aero prior to fab, down force is increased at speeds but if that was the main goal could have been designed geared much more towards that goal. Click here to enlarge

@EvanL if I didn't spend so much time behind the wheel of this car it would'nt have been noticeable. I do notice the difference in both effort in high speed accel and ECT logging has shown cooling efficiency increased by roughly 10-12%. There are many variables but take my averages for results.
    @Charrigan I was surprised as well. There are however a few very well designed pieces availble for the E9X M3
    @Sticky No stupid questions. It effects airflow significantly and I will elaborate on this with some photos soon.
    @klipseracer I'm just $#@!ing terrible with a camera
    @135pats Use only half the normal cowl screws and it takes 5 min to take that sucker off
    @beakmoney I would expect a normal fab shop to charge about a G. Material was approx. $200-250
    @Nugs Working on it brotha!
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Will get some good pics Sunday when I have the car jacked and give you guys more thorough response. Really enjoyed the design process and am glad to share what I learned with those interested.

Couple quick notes
    @brusk The physics are sound, did a lot of research on aero prior to fab, down force is increased at speeds but if that was the main goal could have been designed geared much more towards that goal. Click here to enlarge

@EvanL if I didn't spend so much time behind the wheel of this car it would'nt have been noticeable. I do notice the difference in both effort in high speed accel and ECT logging has shown cooling efficiency increased by roughly 10-12%. There are many variables but take my averages for results.
    @Charrigan I was surprised as well. There are however a few very well designed pieces availble for the E9X M3
    @Sticky No stupid questions. It effects airflow significantly and I will elaborate on this with some photos soon.
    @klipseracer I'm just $#@!ing terrible with a camera
    @135pats Use only half the normal cowl screws and it takes 5 min to take that sucker off
    @beakmoney I would expect a normal fab shop to charge about a G. Material was approx. $200-250
    @Nugs Working on it brotha!

Just bustin your balls Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Just bustin your balls Click here to enlarge

Put a camera in my hands and I turn in to Michael J Fox
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Put a camera in my hands and I turn in to Michael J Fox
    Hah, I know how that can be. The more you focus the more you shake. I have a friend who shakes really bad and he's only 27.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff bud. Very few people have real info with this.

Regarding the cowl removal, I understand what you're saying when at speed but the cowl removal is fantastic in Arizona in stop and go traffic (venting rather than aero). It'd be nice if we could come up with something that did both a little better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Been thinking a bit about the cowl as well. Does anybody know if the M3 cowl (great 'mod', btw) seals as well as the OEM N54 cowl? I don't have an OEM M3 hood to compare against.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    Been thinking a bit about the cowl as well. Does anybody know if the M3 cowl (great 'mod', btw) seals as well as the OEM N54 cowl? I don't have an OEM M3 hood to compare against.
    I have the oem m3 cowl/cabin filters. They fit and seal perfect..like it's all interchangeable Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I'd love to see some real pics of these. I've noticed somehow the factory one under the engine of my car has gotten cracked up quite a bit and surprised nobody has offered a stronger one. Is there an easy way to test down force on the car at speed to see if there were any differences.
    i know race teams that run enough aero to run on the bump stops install pressure sensors under each one.. get a solid number on how much weight of downforce there is in total.

something along those lines?.. a pressure sensor on the rear spring perch and under the front strut or something?

... or in reading @Jeffman 's comment, that too? you'd need a few placed strategically to ensure there's nothing bad going on.
    @R.G. have you put a pressure sensor in the engine bay cowl on vs cowl off to check the actual difference?

I get the theory, just wondering what the numbers are like in the real world.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @Flinchy That's absolutely right. Most race teams also won't let photos of their current season under pan designs to get out. If a car flips in a wreck opposition will slow motion study anything revealed. There are also strict rules placed by Formula 1 for diffusers. Under car aero plays a big role in speed and control.
    I wish I had the time to delve that deep in to it. Finally finished the new suspension on my cousin's Fiat spider Click here to enlarge so I'll get my E92 in the air soon for some quality photos and breakdown of why what is where.

@SCGT Can totally understand as I'm here in NV...wait, there's traffic in AZ Click here to enlarge? @klipseracer your in sunny AZ as well correct?
    There are ways to modify the cowl but I've got another project in the works first. One of those "why doesn't anyone offer this product" situation. All major platforms have it but N54 does not. Click here to enlarge
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool man, looking forward to seeing what you cook up. I've been toying with a couple of ideas myself, Maserati has some interesting heat management ideas as does Mercedes... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    pretty cool
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait for the pressure data and photos!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome! Carbon fiber version??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Flinchy That's absolutely right. Most race teams also won't let photos of their current season under pan designs to get out. If a car flips in a wreck opposition will slow motion study anything revealed. There are also strict rules placed by Formula 1 for diffusers. Under car aero plays a big role in speed and control.
    I wish I had the time to delve that deep in to it. Finally finished the new suspension on my cousin's Fiat spider Click here to enlarge so I'll get my E92 in the air soon for some quality photos and breakdown of why what is where.

@SCGT Can totally understand as I'm here in NV...wait, there's traffic in AZ Click here to enlarge? @klipseracer your in sunny AZ as well correct?
    There are ways to modify the cowl but I've got another project in the works first. One of those "why doesn't anyone offer this product" situation. All major platforms have it but N54 does not. Click here to enlarge
    Yes I am. There are a few places, the I-17 & I-10 and the 143/60 all have choke points. Mostly due to crashes, which there is one virtually every single day in one of these areas it seems.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a belly pan fabricated for my E92. Initially problem was my rear diffuser warping from parachute effect at freeway speeds and higher. Had a front pan piece also made while it was being done.
    Goal was to a address a few issues or improve where possible.

1) Seal the rear bumper
    2) Vented engine pan to allow air to escape and minimize engine bay pressure. Better cooling back thru cylinder 6.
    3) Vent for IC and radiator air flow.
    4) Duct for transmission. allow as much air flow as possible with rear trans vents.
    5) Increased size of all stock tire air diverters. Tires amount to approx. 30% of overall drag Click here to enlarge (might be making that $#@! up but seems like I read that somewhere). Increased both width and height of stock rubber diverters.
    6) Pan has a tiered set up so each section served as a vent for next section.
    7) Lightweight aluminum but thicker then tin foil.

Some photos during fab. Will get try to get some final pics next time I get the thing on jack stands or lifted.
    any updates?
    any pressure data?
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT TBI & STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast