Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    Regarding the DSS halfshafts and my perspective, you couldn't be more correct. I try to support companies that seem to have good customer service. So, for now, I'm avoiding DSS until I really need it.
    I can respect that.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    I really like where this website is going, I must commend you- this is really getting some traction!
    I appreciate it, has really been a tooth and nail struggle to get this far so always nice for people to notice the effort. Still a ton of work to do and we still do not get any respect from the "big" guys but that is ok, just one step at a time.

Could really use interaction from members like yourself as well as spreading the word to others! Still many of the more hardcore guys who don't know we exist.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Regarding the DSS halfshafts and my perspective, you couldn't be more correct. I try to support companies that seem to have good customer service. So, for now, I'm avoiding DSS until I really need it. I think that DSS's issues with driveshafts is due to it being one-piece, but I'm not sure, certainly all reviews are of severe vibration.
    I've had issues with DSS trying to get parts made for the 330Ci in 2008 and 2009. This followed a direct introduction from a race team that was having them build halfshafts and other drivetrain parts 10 pieces at a time. Their parts were good, the team however was going nuts because of their service. I gave up on having them build halfshafts or a driveshaft for the 330ci after months of emails that were either not replied to at all, or extremely late. Phone calls to the shop resulted in "the run around". I was a customer with cash in hand, basically no budget limit, and they couldn't get their act together.

The bad reviews of the DSS driveshafts and their customer service on Bfc for the most part came AFTER my experience above.

Like Julio, I tend to support those that support me and my friends. I don't mind paying more for good service, or a better product. (I pay up to 100% more where I live for many products because I chose to support my local speed shop)

I look forward to Julio's solution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Like Julio, I tend to support those that support me and my friends. I don't mind paying more for good service, or a better product. (I pay up to 100% more where I live for many products because I chose to support my local speed shop)
    Agreed and I am the same way, wish more people were like this.

I've had issues with DSS trying to get parts made for the 330Ci in 2008 and 2009. This followed a direct introduction from a race team that was having them build halfshafts and other drivetrain parts 10 pieces at a time. Their parts were good, the team however was going nuts because of their service. I gave up on having them build halfshafts or a driveshaft for the 330ci after months of emails that were either not replied to at all, or extremely late. Phone calls to the shop resulted in "the run around". I was a customer with cash in hand, basically no budget limit, and they couldn't get their act together.
    I'm glad you posted this as this is the first I have heard of issues with DSS customer service. Sounds like they need to get their act together in this area and I hope they have.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm glad you posted this as this is the first I have heard of issues with DSS customer service. Sounds like they need to get their act together in this area and I hope they have.
    I'm just one person, and that's been my experience. There are definitely good experiences with DSS, but I think they fall under the category of pieces that they already make, not "new" pieces. Also, things may have changed since 2009...but I tend to move on fairly quickly with poor customer service.

Just to give you an idea on how I support my local speed shop:

Nitrous jets from NX via their web site: $4.67 each

Nitrous jets from NX via my local speed shop: $10 each

Sorry to sidetrack this thread about Julio's Custom Turbo build on an M54. I'm certain he'll have something cool to share early in the new year with both the engine and drivetrain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Sorry to sidetrack this thread about Julio's Custom Turbo build on an M54. I'm certain he'll have something cool to share early in the new year with both the engine and drivetrain.
    No need to apologize, it is all relevant to the platform and it is tidbits like this that make for additional quality information to pick up. Sometimes interesting things pop up that may not necessarily have been the OP's intention but that isn't a bad thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

No need to apologize, it is all relevant to the platform and it is tidbits like this that make for additional quality information to pick up. Sometimes interesting things pop up that may not necessarily have been the OP's intention but that isn't a bad thing.
    Well...I try to stay on topic when I can, especially when it's someone elses thread. Click here to enlarge

I'll probably be starting a couple of new threads shortly to cover some of my projects. (Both Turbo and Nitrous)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I'll probably be starting a couple of new threads shortly to cover some of my projects. (Both Turbo and Nitrous)
    I'm particularly interested in the nitrous as I have already read some of your work on the matter and I liked what I saw. Feel free to start as many threads as you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    yay, Sticky, your board resizes. Completely unedited 5mpx iphone dump:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

wish i had the axle stubs out to be able to compare size, it's, significant

these were on a friend's iphone, they're a couple of weeks old
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

yay, Sticky, your board resizes. Completely unedited 5mpx iphone dump:
    Yep, as long as you click insert attachment. Also resizes linked images and auto-embeds vids Click here to enlarge Pretty high-tech over here...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wish i had the axle stubs out to be able to compare size, it's, significant

these were on a friend's iphone, they're a couple of weeks old
    does that thing just pop into an M3 subframe or does some finessing have to be done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The m54 is going to be what the m50 based motors are to the e36, but in the e46 . RAPE.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    The m54 is going to be what the m50 based motors are to the e36, but in the e46 . RAPE.
    That is quite a compliment. I am looking forward to seeing the M54 really taken to the next level and in particular how it stacks up to the M50/M52.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

ah the E32 diff Click here to enlarge

We use these in our aging E28 5 series as upgrades. I can fit one of those bad boys no problem, and like you said, they are cheap...$250ish and abundant.

I have one sitting in the garage for the last year. Its a bit of a neccessity for anyone running a lot of hp in these old cars, as the diffs and the halfshafts dont particularly appreciate it too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

^ Seems that diff is a popular swap in the E36 world as well. Very good point!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

^ Seems that diff is a popular swap in the E36 world as well. Very good point!

I will put it to use behind the torque monster...400ft/lbs at 1800rpm will put it to the test.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I will put it to use behind the torque monster...400ft/lbs at 1800rpm will put it to the test.
    I'm looking forward to that, need to create a thread on what you are planning to do. Wait, didn't you have an E28 thread? Post in there and let's get some discussion going!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is quite a compliment. I am looking forward to seeing the M54 really taken to the next level and in particular how it stacks up to the M50/M52.
    It sure is going to be, and it can be tuned via the dme no piggy backs needed. Easier to pass emissions. Cheap, and fast. Still not at the pricing of e36's but they are dropping fast. I wouldnt mind picking up a zhp 330, and having a TT kit installed with a gt35r or gt40r turbo. Built bottomend, and begin the rape.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I will be trying to do that within the year or so. In house built M54(sleeved and all), ported head, custom intake manifold etc.

I would like to see 800ish WHP, but who knows =/

Seems right now bluejeansonfire is on the right track with his build. I'l like to see his turbo maxed out and what that engine can do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
    I will be trying to do that within the year or so. In house built M54(sleeved and all), ported head, custom intake manifold etc.

I would like to see 800ish WHP, but who knows =/

Seems right now bluejeansonfire is on the right track with his build. I'l like to see his turbo maxed out and what that engine can do.
    I hope you have deep pockets.

A good piston package, rods, crank, and block work will be over $10k just for the bottom end. It's really easy to spend another $15k on a solid top end, $5k on cooling, and $5k on fuel system. Proper stand-alone EMS and wiring will be in the $15k area.

Turbo stuff...I won't even post here.

Then you need a drivetrain that will handle this, which I've posted elseware how that can add up to $20k really fast.

We haven't even touched chassis or suspension yet...which can dwarf the numbers above to do it right to handle that kind of power. For example, my 330Ci chassis had over 200hrs billed to me by the chassis builder, and I was working with him a lot of the time which substantially cut down on costs. Materials costs....holy crap!!

I look forward to your build thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

When Mr PEI330Ci comments on a thread it shows that you have to pay attention to that thread.
    and Julio Good luck with your car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn Julio, your getting Krunk on this project!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hope you have deep pockets.

A good piston package, rods, crank, and block work will be over $10k just for the bottom end. It's really easy to spend another $15k on a solid top end, $5k on cooling, and $5k on fuel system. Proper stand-alone EMS and wiring will be in the $15k area.

Turbo stuff...I won't even post here.

Then you need a drivetrain that will handle this, which I've posted elseware how that can add up to $20k really fast.

We haven't even touched chassis or suspension yet...which can dwarf the numbers above to do it right to handle that kind of power. For example, my 330Ci chassis had over 200hrs billed to me by the chassis builder, and I was working with him a lot of the time which substantially cut down on costs. Materials costs....holy crap!!

I look forward to your build thread.
    I'm looking forward to it also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Me three.

Just a bit OT here but $15k into the head build? And people here $#@! about $4k being too much for headwork.

I think I priced out mine with a cam and all, with machine shop labor to be in the $3800 range....and I have 12 less valves and one less cam O_o
    Last edited by Itsbrokeagain; 02-05-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    And people here $#@! about $4k being too much for headwork.
    Hold on, not people here, children who can't get that much cash out of their parents, that is who.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Just a bit OT here but $15k into the head build? And people here $#@! about $4k being too much for headwork.
    I'll break that down a little bit:

A properly designed and built intake manifold will run about $5k

A properly designed valvetrain (Cams,lifters, springs, hardware, valves) will also run about $5k

That leaves you $5k to figure out the porting, machine work, and assembly. FYI, just setting valve lash with solid lifters is going to run you over $1k in labor/machine work.

Now go actually do it...and you'll find my numbers aren't at the far end of the scale.

In contrast, the port work I'm currently working on involves multiple ported heads, massive amounts of flow bench work, Ferro arm scanning into CAD, CNC setup work, and a minimum production run just to get on a machine. If "kids" complain about $4k, they'll run home to Daddy crying with my numbers....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast