Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 83 of 83
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    311
    Rep Points
    231.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Great post.

    One small comment though: A catch can, if vented to atmosphere or into the intake tract with a check valve, will lower crank case pressure.
    Agreed this is how we solved the issue on my custom turbo, thry called it an oil air seperater so basically a ctch can with sone an fittings and lines to return the oil once past a certain point into the dipstick tube, while the pressure from the gasses is vented to the atmosphere via a crank case breather ontop of the quote unquote catch can. worked like a charm for me!

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SOUTHFL
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    Agreed this is how we solved the issue on my custom turbo, thry called it an oil air seperater so basically a ctch can with sone an fittings and lines to return the oil once past a certain point into the dipstick tube, while the pressure from the gasses is vented to the atmosphere via a crank case breather ontop of the quote unquote catch can. worked like a charm for me!

    jacob323i,

    That's awesome!! I'm hoping to have mine installed this weekend if not the following weekend as I have to have the brackets for the catch can fabricated. Since you're venting to the atmosphere from the catch can do you get much oil vapor leaving the filter?

    -Mike

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deland, FL
    Posts
    165
    Rep Points
    273.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've also seen some use of the E39 M5 cyclone separator in this manner. There isn't a pressure reducer valve on that separator so it should work function similarly to a draining catch can. For my RX7 project I'm probably going to make my oil funnel/catch can/separator (NASA requires 1 quart or larger- and SCCA won't let me run with the V8).
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MC330CI Click here to enlarge
    jacob323i,

    That's awesome!! I'm hoping to have mine installed this weekend if not the following weekend as I have to have the brackets for the catch can fabricated. Since you're venting to the atmosphere from the catch can do you get much oil vapor leaving the filter?

    -Mike

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    5.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    thats pretty and cool but how much money did you spend for this special project? And what about the transmission? did you modified anything?

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    122.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    I hope you have deep pockets.
    PEI made a post of e46fanatics on the price to turbo a e46. When I first saw it I thought it was ridiculously blown out of proportion. So I decided to make a post to prove him wrong, well prove him wrong I did just not in the way I thought, it was actually under quoted... He is usually spot on or conservative when he talks about cost of this stuff especially if your having someone else do the labor. It also made me realize how much I've spent which is depressing...Click here to enlarge

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    122.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No

    Talking

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge

    I would like to see 800ish WHP, but who knows =/
    I think that's going to but a hard number to hit on an aluminum block. There has been quite a few issues with these motors and head studs pulling/stretching and thats only on 400-500ish whp. Once you start getting higher than that I wouldn't be surprised to see main cap issues... Also the m50 guys are almost all on oringd blocks at that power level and I don't know anyone with a orind aluminum block, not to say it's not possible. As far as the heads flowing good PEI would be the best person to answer that but from the visual perspective the ports IMO are rather small.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    122.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Julio, that exhaust manifold is a work of art! Who made it and which kidney do I have to sell to get one? My manifold is dull in comparison.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hobbit382 Click here to enlarge
    I think that's going to but a hard number to hit on an aluminum block. There has been quite a few issues with these motors and head studs pulling/stretching and thats only on 400-500ish whp. Once you start getting higher than that I wouldn't be surprised to see main cap issues... Also the m50 guys are almost all on oringd blocks at that power level and I don't know anyone with a orind aluminum block, not to say it's not possible. As far as the heads flowing good PEI would be the best person to answer that but from the visual perspective the ports IMO are rather small.
    I will not make 800whp on this turbo. I'm fairly certain that I can max that thing out and not get there. I'd be happy to exceed 600. It's only a 750bhp turbo, as in 750 at the crank. Much less 800 at the wheels. I don't know what Jack was smoking, but he should share.
    Regardless, I agree, I think my block would crumble at 800whp.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hobbit382 Click here to enlarge
    Julio, that exhaust manifold is a work of art! Who made it and which kidney do I have to sell to get one? My manifold is dull in comparison.
    Find Oleg Coupe on bf.c. He's in the Ukraine. He'll sell you one of these. See the 90' bend before the turbo? good. Well, if you buy the manifold from him, it'll lack the wastegate pipe coming off of it. However, if i were to get a new turbo manifold, I'd go to Otis (goodntight). He can do a sick twinscroll. He's a proven manifold builder on bf.c much of the community runs his stuff. Boris and his sick e30M run a Otisfold. Otis will also make all the other piping necessary.

    Then there's Shawn out of Lutz performance in Tampa. His work on the z4 turbo can't be forgotten. He also made a matching sick motor mount to go with it and the rest of the kit. He can make any portion of the kit you need. He made a wonderful twinscroll.

    AR also makes an intense twinscroll and AR is legendary for fitment in the n54 exhaust world. But I like Otis's and Shawn's designs a bit more.

    twinscroll is kind of where it's at imo

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    How will that lower crank case pressure any more than a crankcase vent to the atmosphere or check valve in the intake tract (without the can)? FWIW, there is no reason to vent to the atmosphere on a turbo car -- there is always some relative vacuum somewhere (intake manifold off boost, turbo inlet on boost). On a SC car, I'd rather vent into a catless exhaust stream (slight vacuum)
    It'll make the car not drip, that's the difference between a vent to atmosphere and a catch can with a vent to atmosphere. When venting to atmosphere, more than just vapor gets out. The goop I have found in my catch can is a wonderful parts cleaner. Mostly gelled gas, slightly oily. It's great for polishing stuff. If you have boost, you also have a source of vacuum on the compressor. So instead of venting to atmosphere and dealing with those smells, just reroute somewhere along the filter pipe. The issue then becomes making sure the catch can is catching everything. In a blowthorugh maf setup like mine, contaminants in the intake tract are tune-killers which is an engine-killer.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •