Close

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by snaimpally Click here to enlarge
    First, the name of the forum is BimmerBoost, right? Second, this thread, before you hijacked it, had to do with Terry talking about the tuning potential of the S55 engine.

People can make their own decisions regarding which engine is better - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I have owned cars with NA engines and with turbo engines. Engines with forced induction respond more readily to mods and tunes. That is why people are so excited about the new M3/M4. You can have your definition of what constitutes an M car but the fact of the matter is, NA engines are a thing of the past.

Forced induction allows a smaller engine to have performance similar to a large NA engine while providing better gas mileage. This is why BMW has replaced an NA V8 with a turbo 6 and an NA I6 with a turbo 4. Enjoy your V8 power as its a dinosaur. Large and powerful to be sure but extinct nonetheless.

LOL, I just noticed you drive an automatic! All that NA V8 talk and you drive an automatic.
    Automatic? You must be confused and not know what you're talking about but it's not surprising considering your post. Only the E36 M3 came with an automatic.

Considering I named the place I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it's called. I'll also talk about whatever motors it is I'm in the mood to talk about. My statements regarding the motors aren't based on opinion, they are based on physical facts.

No kidding turbo motors get greater gains with bolt on mods. This has been stated over and over in this thread. Whoopty doo once again.

Forced induction allows a smaller motor to perform like a larger NA motor? Cool. What happens when the larger motor gets forced induction? Yeah that's the whole point. Great post man, awesome stuff.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Automatic? You must be confused and not know what you're talking about but it's not surprising considering your post. Only the E36 M3 came with an automatic.
    Wait so you have three pedals, or two?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Edit: Read the rep rules

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the 335is come with an automatic transmission lol
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    the 335is come with an automatic transmission lol
    DCT
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Maybe I am old school too, but I agree with the addage, if it does not have a clutch pedal it cannot be considered a manual. But also in my old age, I get tired of shifting, give me a DCT in my next DD please...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    DCT
    what about the m3 what does that come with
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Maybe I am old school too, but I agree with the addage, if it does not have a clutch pedal it cannot be considered a manual. But also in my old age, I get tired of shifting, give me a DCT in my next DD please...Click here to enlarge
    I think I would prefer a DCT on the track because there is so much more to focus on other than shifting. Assuming your daily commute doesn't have bad traffic I'd take a manual for my daily. But that is just me.

But not clutch pedal = automatic. Mash the gas, hold wheel straight for a 1/4 mile, done.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lmaooo oh my god
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    what about the m3 what does that come with
    DCT
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Wait so you have three pedals, or two?
    Wait, so how a transmission functions is determined by the number of pedals?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch gearbox or double-clutch transmission), is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But not clutch pedal = automatic.
    No you can have a sequential manual, semi-auto, or dual clutch. Automatics have torque converters. You can still have multiple clutches and shift manually without three pedals.

Regardless, dual clutches are the highest performance option.

I'm not sure why you can not understand the definition of different gearboxes but that doesn't really surprise me all that much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol remember that thread where that guy on autocar called the m3 dct an automatic and then boom, $#@!fest debate

here we go again?

dct != automatic
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what 60-130 times is this beast going to do ?

Also, outside of maybe a handful of uber quick power shifters, a DCT, PDK, Ferarri F1 box thingy with dual clutch will beat the crap out of any 6MT I drive, I just like the feel of double de-clutching, kind of orgasmic for us old fellas
    Last edited by Group.america; 07-16-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typos as fucking usual
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch gearbox or double-clutch transmission), is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit.
    Cool Story bro, thanks for the documentation you pulled from the internet. I honestly could not care any less what the definition of a DCT is, if there is not a clutch peddle it not a manual, does this make it an automatic, it does not. In my opinion there are 3 transmission options, true manual, (clutch pedal, and stick shift), Dual Clutch (bad ass, and fun), and Auto (good for drag racing if properly set up and lazy people). Please leave me out of anymore of these pointless debates I have stated my opinion

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool Story bro, thanks for the documentation you pulled from the internet. I honestly could not care any less what the definition of a DCT is, if there is not a clutch peddle it not a manual, does this make it an automatic, it does not. In my opinion there are 3 transmission options, true manual, (clutch pedal, and stick shift), Dual Clutch (bad ass, and fun), and Auto (good for drag racing if properly set up and lazy people). Please leave me out of anymore of these pointless debates I have stated my opinion
    I agree with this. DCT != MT or AT.

Pretty sure Sticky isn't saying DCT = MT. Because that would be full retard Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The definition isn't whatever you make up in your head. It is very clearly defined.

If it does not have a clutch pedal that does not make an automatic, no. It does not suddenly get a torque converter and suddenly make it so that you can not shift gears manually.

Your opinion here is irrelevant as these are facts. If you comment be prepared for a response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I agree with this. DCT != MT or AT.

Pretty sure Sticky isn't saying DCT = MT. Because that would be full retard Click here to enlarge
    I believe I always say a DCT is a DCT. It isn't a manual, it isn't an automatic, it's a dual clutch transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    How about any post that isn't about S55 tuning is removed from this thread? Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    How about any post that isn't about S55 tuning is removed from this thread? Click here to enlarge
    Here Here!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If only that could be done automatically, eh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

No you can have a sequential manual, semi-auto, or dual clutch. Automatics have torque converters. You can still have multiple clutches and shift manually without three pedals.

Regardless, dual clutches are the highest performance option.

I'm not sure why you can not understand the definition of different gearboxes but that doesn't really surprise me all that much.
    My bad. You drive a manual does that make you feel better? Lol.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You drive a manual does that make you feel better? Lol.
    It just makes me feel like you are stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Here Here!
    It's 'Hear, hear!' actually.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast