Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Lightbulb MFactory LSD Pre-Buy for Welded Diffs

Hey guys,

now that we have more concrete details on our welded diff options, I thought that it would be a good time to start making up a pre-buy list Click here to enlarge

Terminology (As some people are still confused with all the terms)
    - Pumpkin/Core/Carrier/Pig Snout: This is the entire unit, the part you see bolted up to your car, and contains everything
    - Differential Unit/Diff: This is the main part inside your pumpkin that does all the traction magic. OEM is open differential. We are offering a limited slip differential
    - Ring & Pinion/Final Drive/Crown & Pinion: This consists of the Ring Gear (which is welded on to your oem differential) and the Pinion Gear
    - Rebuild: As it suggests, rather than you DIY or having another shop do it for you, we are offering our rebuild service if you send us your pumpkin

Fitments:
    - 135i/335i DCT with 2.56 Final Drive
    - 335d with 2.81 Final Drive

What is included:
    - Brand New MFactory Helical LSD
    - Modified and Reconditioned oem Final Drive (Ring & Pinion)
    - New Ring Gear Bolts

Price: (DCT)
    1) Send us your Differential Unit first (NOT the entire pumpkin) - $1319.96 inc shipping to North America/Europe/Australia

or 2) We send you a pre-built Differential Unit (NOT the entire pumpkin) with modified ring & pinion first - $1819.96 inc shipping to North America/Europe/Australia. $500 is refundable after we receive your old Differential Unit + Pinion back.

Rebuild Service: Not applicable to Europe/Australia
    - Add $500 if you send us your entire pumpkin first, and we will rebuild it with the new LSD. Includes return shipping within the mainland US (+$100 for Canada).
    - Additional $500 core exchange applies if we ship you a rebuilt pumpkin first (subject to availability). Refundable after we receive your old pumpkin back

DCT/335d:
    1) AForceNinja (from the 1 forum)
    2) ST54
    3) ucsbshawn(from the 1 forum)
    4) e36addict (from the E forum)
    5) BMOEW (from the E forum)
    6) bmw0bsession (from the E forum)
    7) Tamut
    8) GreekboyD (from the E forum)
    Last edited by MFactory; 08-25-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    - MFactory Competition Products
    -- technik.teamMFactory.com --

Got Questions? Read our Limited-slip Differential FAQ: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...fferential-FAQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Add me to the mt list. What does the rebuild service entail? I send you my pumpkin and you install the lsd? Will the welded diff be any harder to install that the bolted diffs? Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

@MFactory I read this morning that E88s have welded ring gears - even if they are 6AT. As I had previously understood it, all 6AT 135i were bolted.

Can you confirm which is true? It seems truly bizarre that BMW would use a bolted ring gear for an otherwise identical car with an identical driveline...but they've done weird things like that before.

Thanks in advance
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@MFactory
    Hi,
    on the other thread you have mentioned that the Helical LSD basically acts as an open diff at some occasions,
    so what benefits does it have on the stock electonic [brake] controlled open diff?
    better for drifts? better for hammering the gas early on corner exits?
    i mean, if its an open diff, it should act the same, no?
    135i N55 DCT / JB4 / CP-E 5" DP / BMS CP / CTS Turbo 7" FMIC / KW V3 / M3 Bushings / M3 Front Control Arms / 3.25" SS exhaust / to be continued...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Add me to the mt list. What does the rebuild service entail? I send you my pumpkin and you install the lsd? Will the welded diff be any harder to install that the bolted diffs? Thanks!
    Added, thanks Click here to enlarge

Yes, if you send us your pumpkin, we will rebuild it for you (strip it down, clean all the parts and blast the housing clean. It will look better than new) with the new LSD and Ring & Pinion. There is no difference when installing our "solution" than with the bolted diffs i.e no machining is required, as your diff is now a "bolted diff".

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    @MFactory I read this morning that E88s have welded ring gears - even if they are 6AT. As I had previously understood it, all 6AT 135i were bolted.

Can you confirm which is true? It seems truly bizarre that BMW would use a bolted ring gear for an otherwise identical car with an identical driveline...but they've done weird things like that before.

Thanks in advance
    AFAIK, all AT's are bolted. I've never seen a welded one before.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tamut Click here to enlarge
    @MFactory
    Hi,
    on the other thread you have mentioned that the Helical LSD basically acts as an open diff at some occasions,
    so what benefits does it have on the stock electonic [brake] controlled open diff?
    better for drifts? better for hammering the gas early on corner exits?
    i mean, if its an open diff, it should act the same, no?
    A Helical LSD will act like an open diff when one wheel is up in the air (i.e you car will stop moving). However, in most situations, this is only for a fraction of a second, not enough to hinder the performance of the LSD. In the situation where it may hinder the performance, then all you need to do is apply a little brake which will give the unloaded wheel "load" again. If you don't have enough time to apply a little brake, then it means your wheel is not up in the air long enough in the first place for you to notice it being unloaded Click here to enlarge

The stock system "simulates" the actions of an LSD by applying brake to the wheel that is slipping in order to slow it down. This only works to a point though, and is not designed for performance; rather safety. With a Helical LSD, the diff is in a constant state of torque bias, precisely balancing the torque between the left and right wheels in order to give maximum traction i.e it is designed for maximum performance.

Got Questions? Read our Limited-slip Differential FAQ: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...fferential-FAQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is this available for the 535i MT yet? I know you said mine was welded as well.
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Same fitment as the 335i MT. Let me know if you want added to the list Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

But they don't have same part number on BMW part list. Is it because of different housing? But inside is the same size and everything?

I don't want to break open the diff and find out the LSD doesn't fit. This means I will have to pay double labor.
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keen on one for my e92 DCT model. Sign me up and pm me if you can. Thks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    But they don't have same part number on BMW part list. Is it because of different housing? But inside is the same size and everything?

I don't want to break open the diff and find out the LSD doesn't fit. This means I will have to pay double labor.
    Let me double check again to make sure Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ST54 Click here to enlarge
    Keen on one for my e92 DCT model. Sign me up and pm me if you can. Thks.
    You have PM Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MFactory Click here to enlarge

You have PM Click here to enlarge

Can't reply to your pm you sent earlier yet, I just joined this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Would love to jump on the DCT version of this, but no test cases in the DCT's yet to be asking that price point (which is good), but without test cases still a risk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, please double check. Maybe you could source a E60 535i MT core and find out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

For the MT, yeah, is same as the 335i MT welded. Want added to the list? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Too bad the DCT GB aint picking up,
    i guess eventually i would just buy the diff msrp
    135i N55 DCT / JB4 / CP-E 5" DP / BMS CP / CTS Turbo 7" FMIC / KW V3 / M3 Bushings / M3 Front Control Arms / 3.25" SS exhaust / to be continued...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Too bad the DCT GB aint picking up,
    i guess eventually i would just buy the diff msrp
    No test cases with it, which is important as we all know the DCT's are a little more finicky!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is there an additional cost to have new bearings, seals, etc installed when sending the pumpkin in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Our rebuild charge ($500) includes all costs. The only extra cost you would bear is shipping us your old core.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

going to need some info on extra parts needed to buy in order to install on the DCT Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For the MT, yeah, is same as the 335i MT welded. Want added to the list? Click here to enlarge
    Stephen, how much is involve to swap the stock one out and put the LSD in? Are there any adjustment that I have to do? I might try to do it myself but if all else failed then I will have to take it to a shop. Normally how much would the average labor rate is for this install?

Again, mine is 535i MT so it will fit? I just don't see you have it on the fitment list that's why I'm asking....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    Stephen, how much is involve to swap the stock one out and put the LSD in? Are there any adjustment that I have to do? I might try to do it myself but if all else failed then I will have to take it to a shop. Normally how much would the average labor rate is for this install?

Again, mine is 535i MT so it will fit? I just don't see you have it on the fitment list that's why I'm asking....
    We've not updated the fitment list yet, but it is the same fitment.

Install is very straight forward, however, you will need to know how to use a dial gauge to setup the backlash on the diff.

If it needs shimmed to setup the backlash to within oem specs, you would need to buy shims. Most of the time, you can reuse the diff bearings, but if they need replaced, you will need to replace them.

The oil seals for the diff/axles will need to be replaced.

going to need some info on extra parts needed to buy in order to install on the DCT Click here to enlarge
    Same as above

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

List updated Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sent a PM to be added a while ago, still haven't heard back :/
    2010 - BMW 335i M-Sport - Lemans Blue Metallic
    BMW PPK2, BMW PP Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by volcom8190 Click here to enlarge
    Sent a PM to be added a while ago, still haven't heard back :/
    It's because you could not send or receive pm's as your rep was too low. Try now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    can you ad me to the list (i cant pm you. no rep points)? i have a 08 335i manual trans. thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast