Close

Thread: Chicago 1/2 Mile Results... towed home

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Chicago 1/2 Mile Results... towed home

Last Saturday I made the 3 hour drive up to Chicago for the 2nd Wannagofast 1/2 Mile Shootout. Although my car performed flawlessly on the 1st run (144.4mph), it died on the return road right after the run. I had 4 codes... 2 were precat o2 codes, one was cyl 3 misfire, and a 29F1 fuel pressure code. I originally thought something happened to an o2 sensor.

I eventually got the car restarted back to my pits, but it wouldn't idle or stay running.... almost like it's running out of gas. I ended up emailing some logs to Terry and based on the codes, it seemed to be a fuel pressure issue. After letting it sit for a while I started it back up and noticed there was raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. I sent a short video to Terry, and shut it down for the rest of the day and had it towed home.

I ordered an injector and installed it tonight. Car fired right up and ran without any issues. There was a ton of fuel in the exhaust system that I had to burn off, but she's running good as of now. My best guess is that the injector stuck open at the end of the run and started dumping fuel into the motor... enough to cause a loss in fuel pressure and to trigger the codes. I can't believe how lucky I am that the motor didn't hydrolock. And although it's running fine now, I'm thinking of replacing all 6 injectors with the new style and getting a compression test.

There was a single turbo car there, and a few supercharged M3's.... unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the runs because I was working on my car and arranging the tow home.

Terry - thanks for all of your support as we tried to sort this out. I can never say enough about the support you and your team provide to your customers. I'll be back at the event in October, with hopefully better luck and better videos!

My "run" with the CTS-V -I didn't get to talk to the guy, but it sounds fully built and I saw some spray. He obviously lets off, but this car is no joke.

Spitting raw fuel... never a good sign
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)

Bummer you were not able to race after all that. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Those cts-v caddys are no joke especially with spray. Honestly for straight line imo it's the best luxory platform, your hp is only limited by your budget with them. This thread makes me want to save for new style injectors now lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Thought about moving this to Regional but since you discuss some N54 motor issues we'll leave it here.

Sorry to hear about the issues but glad you diagnosed it and it wasn't anything too serious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Man... the CTS-V just straight crushed you. That said, looked like it dumped some fuel on a shift?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

I know that feeling man, I've had it happen 2 times to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those cts-v caddys are no joke especially with spray. Honestly for straight line imo it's the best luxory platform, your hp is only limited by your budget with them. This thread makes me want to save for new style injectors now lol.
    I think this one was built by Vengeance Performance. Wish i had gotten to talk to the guy... it was a beast. Definitely will be getting new injectors.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Bummer you were not able to race after all that.
    I was a little butthurt at first.... but I'm just happy the car still runs

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Man... the CTS-V just straight crushed you. That said, looked like it dumped some fuel on a shift?
    It wasn't much of a contest. The GT500 I was originally lined up with had an issue so I ended up running the V. He definitely had some sort of issue on that shift.
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I drove in from Detroit to attend this same event but on Sunday. My big fear was that I would have some kind of issue like you did 280 miles from home. At least it was a problem easily diagnosed and fixed.

Sucks you only got to race once I was able to get in 5 passes. Do you know how fast the Caddy trapped on that run? He looks very fast. There's another Chicago WannaGoFast in October you can always try again then. Click here to enlarge
    2007 E92 | 6AT | JB4 G5 ISO w/WEDGE flash | RB Turbos | FBO | Quaife | Íhlins | Brembo