Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Help!!! BMS flash load fail

Hi guys I'm new to this forum

so here what's happening

I read my ecu using the BB flash ap which went fine. But when I tried to load the bms pump gas backend flash it completed the write and then said bad file PAF Mis match. So I then tried to load my standard BIN and my voltage would not read. Tried to load it anyway and got message saying bad file which you will see in the pic. Then ecu went into recovery mode. Iv tried disscomnecting the battery many times with no luck. Now every time I try to load my standard BIN it gets to the 3rd stage and says in red cannot erase memory. You will see this in the other pic. I'm completely lost on what to do from here. Any info would be appreciated. Just for info when I first tried to write the voltage read 13.837 v I was using a 40amp charger as well, the laptop is acer e1-571 with an i5 processor it's the only laptop I have access to!

My car is a late 2006 model 335i with kline ececu any help on this will be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm not 100% sure if the 2006 DME is compatible with the BB flash program...
    If I remember correctly it's from 2007 and up.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Try unplugging the battery for a minute and flashing again. Might need to try a force write followed by a normal write too, kline cars are temperamental. With my old computer i used to flash with it was most consistent once i got the dme in "recovery mode". If the read completed in around 80-90 minutes then it'll work, just some computers are finicky about flashing kline.

Your file is likely fine, I used to get these errors a lot with my old 2002 era AMD desktop when flashing but it was the only computer I used to have capable of even flashing my 07.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you both for replying

well I have removed the neg battery terminal many times I even left it off for an hour! Yes the read completed in 75 min and iv tried a force write followed by a normal write still jus get stuck on the 3rd flash stage and cannot get the voltage to read! By all mean ill keep trying and also try other older laptops.

The car is a December 2006 model so really hope the BB flash app is compatible

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

you have a battery charger in your car while you copy ecu?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    you have a battery charger in your car while you copy ecu?
    Yes a 40amp charger and voltage read 13.837 v for the whole read

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Your DME is reading as version I742S (early MSD80 software) but you tried to write a I8A0S bin to it--this likely screwed things up.

I haven't personally recovered a DME from this status, but you may be able to do so using NCSExpert or INPA (both part of BMW Standard Tools). The 'nuclear option' is to reprogram your DME using WinKFP (also part of BMW Standard Tools)...this is also how you'd update it to I8A0S in order to run the back-end flashes.

For reference, here's a similar error: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...sh-any-options

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=EvanL;578293]Your DME is reading as version I742S (early MSD80 software) but you tried to write a I8A0S bin to it--this likely screwed things up.

I haven't personally recovered a DME from this status, but you may be able to do so using NCSExpert or INPA (both part of BMW Standard Tools). The 'nuclear option' is to reprogram your DME using WinKFP (also part of BMW Standard Tools)...this is also how you'd update it to I8A0S in order to run the back-end flashes.

Yes now this is the strange thing my dme was not that version when I read it it was another early version of oi890s yet now it reads 1742s???? I was under the impression I could flash the oi890s with i8a0s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I believe Terry was pointing out that I890S indicates the DME is an MSD80 variant, not that one could necessarily flash an I8A0S bin to the DME and expect it to work. If you read a few posts down from that one in the same thread, you'll see this from Ken/Wedge1967:

"For those with Older versions of the DME firmware, I can help you flash your car to the latest firmware version I8AOS or IJEOS. All you need is a cheep INPA K+DCAN cable and a Windows Laptop. I'll provide everything else so you can take advantage of the latest options to include INPA diagnostics and NCS Expert coding. Just PM me for assistance or Email me at WedgePerformance at Gmail dot com."

The BimmerBoost Flash utility was developed by folks here (hence the name) and they would have to chime in on specifics, but AFAIK it is limited to reading/writing maps on the DME and will not update the DME firmware.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Some people have flashed older ROMs to the canned ones, but I have no idea which ones would be compatible or if there are any side effects. Kline cars compound the issue, but you got a good read and have a good charger.

Have you tried the bimmerboost software from here and Terry's version? Sometimes his works on certain computers, sometimes the normal one does better. I also unplugged the cable mid flash once to get it into recovery mode to write, it kept falling to erase memory when not in recovery mode. I don't miss that old computer, the new haswell laptop works like a charm every time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys always impress me with how helpful and resourceful you all are. Rep for everyone in this thread who tried to help.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to load the .bin from BMW into ATR and make some changes to make it compatible. There is a DIY on n54tech specifically about this issue. Terry knows about it and has a fix for it, I can't remember what all tables are effected but I know you just need to copy some stuff over.

I do not know that this will fix it, but it does address that same error message

2) The second most common problem is the write completes successfully but you receive a DAF/PAF mismatch error. BMS is pioneering a method to allow any MSD81 to load a BIN file from any other MSD81 without issue. But this is still a somewhat experimental process. If you load a canned BIN and experience this sort of an error then load back your original BIN to get the car running again and using TunerPro and the proper XDF file for your software version go through your original BIN to make the same various table edits BMS has made in their modified BIN. This will effectively port the tuning changes over to your original BIN. Be sure to save it as .BIN so you don't overwrite your original .ORG. This error can also occur if you attempt to write an MSD80 file to an MSD81 DME and vice versa.

And here's the link to the entire page

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Some people have flashed older ROMs to the canned ones, but I have no idea which ones would be compatible or if there are any side effects. Kline cars compound the issue, but you got a good read and have a good charger.

Have you tried the bimmerboost software from here and Terry's version? Sometimes his works on certain computers, sometimes the normal one does better. I also unplugged the cable mid flash once to get it into recovery mode to write, it kept falling to erase memory when not in recovery mode. I don't miss that old computer, the new haswell laptop works like a charm every time.

yes I tried both version, Terry's version seemed to work better as it was the version that I got to read voltage, just couldn't get the BB one to do that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    You need to load the .bin from BMW into ATR and make some changes to make it compatible. There is a DIY on n54tech specifically about this issue. Terry knows about it and has a fix for it, I can't remember what all tables are effected but I know you just need to copy some stuff over.

I do not know that this will fix it, but it does address that same error message

2) The second most common problem is the write completes successfully but you receive a DAF/PAF mismatch error. BMS is pioneering a method to allow any MSD81 to load a BIN file from any other MSD81 without issue. But this is still a somewhat experimental process. If you load a canned BIN and experience this sort of an error then load back your original BIN to get the car running again and using TunerPro and the proper XDF file for your software version go through your original BIN to make the same various table edits BMS has made in their modified BIN. This will effectively port the tuning changes over to your original BIN. Be sure to save it as .BIN so you don't overwrite your original .ORG. This error can also occur if you attempt to write an MSD80 file to an MSD81 DME and vice versa.

And here's the link to the entire page

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563
    Ok ill give this a go thanks, ill let you know how it all turns out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK so here's the update

Emailed wedge at wedge performance and he wrote me a file that is compatible with me cars DME and he told me just to force full write. So I tried this at least 10 times and every time could never get the voltage to read but I kept going anyway, I managed to get the ECU out of recovery mode and complete the write but it would just say "bad file rewrite with a known good BIN." same happened when i tried to load my standard BIN.
    In the end I got sick of this and called every person in my phone book and hassled them to see if they had an old laptop, found some one with an 8 year old Altec Lansing thing with an Intel duo core processor. so I tried with this laptop, again no matter what I tried the voltage would never display so I went ahead any way as I really had nothing to lose at this point! tried to force full write but it could not connect with module so I tried a normal write and it worked first time and completed a successful write even with no voltage displayed!

So I went in the JB4 interface and set all AFR and CPS to 0 and went for a spin. every warning light was displayed on dash and idrive, the car was just stuck in 3rd gear it would not select DS and my paddle shift would not work, so I pulled over switched off ignition and restarted and the car was back to normal.

However, now no matter what map I'm in the boost behaviour is very strange if I'm part throttle it will hit like 18-19 psi as soon as i go WOT it only hits like 12-14 psi. if I go for WOT pull the boost bounces back and forth from 12-19 psi and the car kangaroos?!?!?

The car just has FBO NO meth

Obviously I need to send some logs to Wedge and ill post some here to see what you guys think.

Big thank you to everyone for all the help so far

and a big thanks to wedge for supplying me with the file

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An old computer is not the answer. A computer with an AMD processor is necessary for msd80 cars, doesn't really matter the age. A core2, core2 duo (Penryn, merom), i3/5/7 gen 1/2/3 (sandybridge, ivybridge) etc will ALL fail. You must have an AMD powered computer, or a brand new gen4 Intel (haswell) computer, nothing else except maybe some macbooks, maybe some old Intel atom netbooks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This Intel bug needs to be resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    A core2, core2 duo (Penryn, merom), i3/5/7 gen 1/2/3 (sandybridge, ivybridge) etc will ALL fail.
    This hasn't been entirely true in my experience. I used to have a lot of troubles getting my Sandy Bridge (i7-2760QM) laptop to work with similar problems as described above--partial writes, authentication issues, not reading voltage, etc. THEN I upgraded my battery charger to a manual 30-amp (Schumacher PSC-2030T...didn't feel like paying 2x for the 700A) and every write has been issue-free since.

Some general notes on flashing DMEs:
    - ALWAYS use a battery charger when working with your car's ECUs. Hell, I'll break it out for simple coding of the KOMBI module.
    - Attach a multimeter to the charger terminals. It's a good sanity check to know the voltage potential your car is seeing in Vdc. For reference, I like to keep the terminals reading 13-14.5Vdc during writes.
    - If your BT cable is 'attached' to your VIN, it's a good idea to go into the Bavarian Technic tool and perform a DME reset before flashing. This accomplishes a couple of things. First, it's a sanity check that your computer is communicating with the car. Second, the DME seems to be somewhat more receptive to flashing once its been reset. Can't explain that last part.
    - If you start to have errors, DON'T TRY LAST-DITCH EFFORTS UNLESS YOU KNOW THEY'LL WORK. BMW and its suppliers are good about protecting the ECUs from harm, but this is a surefire method to brick one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's good to know. The sandybridge that didn't work fully for me (listed a 500 minute read) was an Alienware laptop. The ivybridge that showed a 400 minute read was an ultrabook. I never tried to write with any of them, but did have a nice charger on them. Computers are finicky on kline, but yes battery voltage is important that it stays over 12v.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I flashed several times my Oct 2006 and other Kline cars too with an Intel core2 duo but using parallels on a macbook. This is a software issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also sometimes my writes are corrupted but the app won't tell me. Cars refuse to start and throw several errors. Another partial write takes care of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Artial Click here to enlarge
    Also sometimes my writes are corrupted but the app won't tell me. Cars refuse to start and throw several errors. Another partial write takes care of it.
    Yes I spoke to wedge about strange boost behaviour and the errors that came up on dash, he said its not a full/clean write and I need to go back and complete a forced full write. So call me dumb but if I wanted to try a partial write how do I do this?
    i thought if you wrote a file to the ecu it erases the memory before it writes?
    I have also had to go out and buy a new laptop with an AMD processor just for this!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Artial Click here to enlarge
    I flashed several times my Oct 2006 and other Kline cars too with an Intel core2 duo but using parallels on a macbook. This is a software issue.
    Damn this absurd free flashing software.

Send me $100 per flash and I'll get it taken care of. admin@germaboost.com is the paypal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E92 420 Click here to enlarge
    I have also had to go out and buy a new laptop with an AMD processor just for this!!!
    Do you people see this?

The horror. This man had to buy a new laptop with an AMD processor to flash his car himself on his own terms for free. I mean, what is this, North Korea?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    People have gone out and bought the Intel 4th gen computers at best buy, flashed, and returned them a few times. Not advocating it but hey whatever works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast