Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

VF540 no boost, need help and input

Small history: Bought a used VF540 kit. Installed it myself. I have the VF-Engineering canned tune. I'm running Active Autowerke test pipes (awesome btw).

Status: Car revs out to redline, no hicups that I can distinguish. It makes maybe 0.2psi or so according to BMWLogger. The belt I had was getting old and so I replaced it with a new Gatorback 6PK2185 (same model as oem), and it was very difficult to get onto the car (so I'm pretty sure its sized correctly). I'm running a 103mm pulley (4"). It's a silver pulley though, not oem VF, though I doubt that matters too much.

I thought it was belt slip, so I replaced the belt, nothing really changed. I thought I had a leak, so I removed the manifold and re-did all the connections. I found that A) the throttle body clamps do not tighten to a stop, they keep spinning. Is this normal? All 8 of them were that way, so I assumed that was normal.

Originally the IAT bung was broken, so I ordered a replacement for that, that didn't help.

I thought it might be the Vortech bypass valve, so I replaced that with an Active Autowerke unit I had. Still nothing has changed. The characteristics of the boost ramp up appear to be non-linear (but possibly not because BMWLogger does not export boost data to CSV) so I'm either getting a leak or belt slip. I think with the new belt, that eliminates belt slip.

Another thing, when winding it out and then shifting into the next gear, I'm getting hesitation. I don't hear any misfires, but its possible my spark plugs are misfiring. I'm pretty sure misfiring won't keep boost from showing up, I would see the boost at least briefly) I'm at my wits end with this having to wait so long just to get a tune and now no boost. I'm certain this is a boost issue as the CSV data shows me missing a lot of power (but much more midrange than stock) - around 400whp right now according to virtual dyno (and I was doing about 360whp before the blower install)

I'm thinking
    A) The rear VF manifold plate is leaking somehow (I never checked that)
    B) The pulley is somehow spinning by itself
    C) The throttle bodies aren't opening up the entire way.

I need input and consolation. Thanks for listening Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dont kno anything about it but i repped ya
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks dude. I've been self-diagnosing this so I figured maybe input from someone will get me an idea of what to look into next.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man I have no idea...
    @alex@ABRhouston

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The DME doesn't have a map sensor the value you are seeing might be labeled wrong. Might be Barometric reading. Try a mechanical gauge to make sure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How does the dme determine airflow? Not with a maf.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Called couple of things like alpha-n or speed density mode. Air intake temp, barometric reading, throttle position, coolant temp, engine speed, wideband o2 are some of the key inputs need. Most bmw if you unplug the maf or it fails will default in to alpha-n type of mode. Hope this helps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ging Click here to enlarge
    Called couple of things like alpha-n or speed density mode. Air intake temp, barometric reading, throttle position, coolant temp, engine speed, wideband o2 are some of the key inputs need. Most bmw if you unplug the maf or it fails will default in to alpha-n type of mode. Hope this helps
    Alpha-N and speed density use a MAP sensor. There is no MAF on the BMW S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Messed up on my first post the s65 does have MAP in the idle air duct oops. never said the s65 has a MAF said most bmws do. but i do stand by want i said before the output could be miss labeled in bmwlogger and test with a know working boost gauge. sorry for the confusion my bad

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Alpha-N and speed density use a MAP sensor. There is no MAF on the BMW S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotcha. I figured it was just a typo Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Update:

The rear J-hose had become loose at the plastic coupler and was disconnected, so I was probably bleeding boost right out. Got that fixed and was still only making 1psi. I checked the IAT and wasn't a fan of how loose it was on the bung so I used some high-temp gasket sealant around it and reinserted. Seems to be boosting ok now.

This afternoon I had a chance to run a Boss 302. He started ahead of me, but I jumped up to his door in first, began to pull ahead in 2nd, and then got hesitation and power loss in 3rd (I'm guessing spark plugs?). So pulling on a Boss 302 means its probably running ok Click here to enlarge Keep in mind, I'm in a heavy-ass E93 and its 93 degrees outside (my car was reading 101 from sitting in a hot parking lot). Spark plugs should be here tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Putting new plugs in today. I'm going to go on record by saying I think the VF kit (at least the earlier models) was very poorly designed (from one engineer to another). For example: The intake pipe is so close to the firewall, that on E93s its VERY hard to get in (fatter shock towers I think); and absolutely impossible to get it without scratching the $#@! out of it. And sometimes, like today, its not possible to get it back on the car. I dunno if its too warm or what. I'm probably going to grab my heat gun and melt it a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Putting new plugs in today. I'm going to go on record by saying I think the VF kit (at least the earlier models) was very poorly designed (from one engineer to another). For example: The intake pipe is so close to the firewall, that on E93s its VERY hard to get in (fatter shock towers I think); and absolutely impossible to get it without scratching the $#@! out of it. And sometimes, like today, its not possible to get it back on the car. I dunno if its too warm or what. I'm probably going to grab my heat gun and melt it a bit.
    Did they change the intake pipe location on the newer models?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure. I finally got it on, had to grease it and trim it. Would have had to remove the fan, and loosen the whole bracket otherwise just to get a plastic pipe on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Heatsoak lately has been a real PITA, been running around with 140F+ IATs all summer and it kills the power. No intercooler on the VF540 kit and the stock pulley only nets me 3.8psi. For the record, VF will not sell their intercooler cartridge separately, nor will they offer any information on its size. They also didn't want to sell me a smaller pulley.

So I've got something brewing. And it's going to piss people off, at least I hope, because I'm angry too. More pics coming this weekend.
    Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VF will not sell their intercooler cartridge separately, nor will they offer any information on its size. They also didn't want to sell me a smaller pulley.
    Sounds like a cool bunch of dudes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like a cool bunch of dudes.
    Yeah, definitely. They really want to sell that $3k upgrade package made up of <$750 in parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And they fought me on the no intercooler kits heatsoaking. Claiming it actually makes more power the harder you run it . pshh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, in 90deg weather, I was hitting 140deg IATs after one 2nd/3rd gear run. You could literally feel the timing getting yanked in 3rd. It was so bad, I thought it was belt-slip until I saw the IATs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, definitely. They really want to sell that $3k upgrade package made up of <$750 in parts.
    That's just lame. Trying to force things down your throat rather than help you. L A M E.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    And they fought me on the no intercooler kits heatsoaking. Claiming it actually makes more power the harder you run it . pshh
    I don't understand VF at all. Whatever, there are plenty of options. Not to mention higher horsepower ones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I understand VF perfectly. They have a common machining process that they use for every car they have products for. They make small revisions to make those parts fit other cars and then have the parts machined.

Like you said, plenty of options. Still no tuning options though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean any decent tuner should be able to tune your setup I would think. Evolve has tuned other kits. Why can't yours be tuned?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Evolve doesn't have the VF tune base nor do they have a calibration similar to the VF injector sizing. I was looking at them doing that but Undercover, the third party who was going through evolve decided not to and got me a VF tune. The car runs pretty good, don't get me wrong; it just heatsoaks like crazy in the summer. (and I paid $1500 for a custom tune that ended up being just a canned VF tune after waiting 6 months that I could have bought for $1200 and gotten just a few days later). To top it off, someone at Undercover (either an employee, or a virus on the PC) stole my cc # after I ordered my stuff. I had to cancel it 48 hours after I made the order, a bunch of charges were made to random things in NJ.

When I say lack of tuning options, I mean that I can't tune this myself. All of these companies make it seem like the E9X M3 is this mystical system that is so hard to tune and that only they can do it. I've tuned enough cars and have a deep understanding of the theory behind it (and the control systems used). All I want is something like a Cobb or Bimmerboost flash. I'd pay MORE for that option. Most tuners want you to spend upwards of $1k for their special master/slave Guy Frieling cable that they rebadged (rebadged both hardware and software) and all you get is an encrypted tune that you cannot tweak. Hell you can't even read unencrypted tunes from a stock DME. I'm tired of this locked-down $#@!. They only reason they do it is because of greed. I get that people gotta make a buck, but I wish there were more options (even more expensive ones, I'd pay double just to be able to tune it myself).

If I ever get the time (fat chance with work being crazy), I'll backwards engineer this $#@! and post the information for free just out of spite.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's weird I don't know why they would need the VF Base tune. Have you tried talking to @evolve or @Sal@evovle directly?

Oh, yeah, undercover got rid of that guy and I think he went to jail or something like that. He was stealing from everyone and trying to do so on the forum here as well.

It is because of greed, you are right. All we need are the codes Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast