Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

'Twas a great 3rd Gear Pull, or so it seemed and then the AT slipped/missed/ & SES misfire...Thoughts?

CAR: 2008 BMW 335i E93 AT 31K odo. I remember reading forum posts and logs of @135pats having issues with his AT slipping but as I write, I cant remember which gear he was having trouble with. My best run on a dyno dynamics dyno was 417 WHP 440WTQ. Stock Frames.

Please Note: I know that the timing is high, and that running 15 degrees is controversial, but I am running straight e85 as I am replacing the HPFP anyways so why not. I have the @SteveAZ inline upgrade and new oem pump/bucket as well, FBO, Targeting 11.8 AFR up top, using a 3D Scaler, with the thought being that the cooling properties of straight e85, new plugs and okada coils providing some insurance. Helix, ER, Forge, AR DP, JB4, Bimmerboost Flash.

Like the title says, what seems like a strong 3rd gear pull on a hot Miami, Fl afternoon is resulting in ses light misfire right when the car is shifting from third to fourth. I'm uncertain if it is missing the shift because of the misfire, or misfiring because the transmission is slipping?????

I will get the car up on jack-stands tonight and begin to change the transmission filter and fluid to redline (I already ordered and received the fluid change kit from ecs), weird that the transmission is slipping at this mileage.

Pretty sure the HPFP is not happy, How do the trims look to you folks? Thanks in advance and happy hunting, it Friday night after all...

http://datazap.me/u/boostinbiscayne/...1-3-4-11-18-19

G

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My opinion......

You are targeting too rich of AFR's for 100% e85 and the transition looks as though it may be too abrupt or atleast it responded that way. I'd say your 3d scalar may need further adjustment but I'd adjust my afr's first and see.

You misfired on the shift because your dme had already given up the ghost and set your afr's at 20. Whether or not you're getting a new hpfp has nothing to do with running 100% e85...it's what your hpfp is capable of now. From what I can see...I don't necessarily think you need a new hpfp and your lpfp is holding fine, I personally think the tune needs further adjustment if you want to run 100% e85.

Frankly I'm surprised you didn't get a 29dc code...or did you?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click on the banner to visit our store...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Timing is ok if it's 100% E85, maybe a bit high in the upper 3k/lower 4k range at full boost a smooth increasing line from 12.5 down low to 15.5 by 7k is what I like on 100%. AFR is too rich for your HPFP so it is crashing, I doubt a new one will fix that. Trims maxed brifely but settled down quickly, not sure what caused that but they look nice the rest of the run. Maybe dealt with abrupt AFR target changes or HPFP response.

You had some sort of limp mode occur near the top of the gear that sent the DME into some kind of open loop, pegged AFR's at 20 (max they can read) and static trims. Your trans didn't slip, your computer $#@! bricks of some sort. I've seen that on many Procede cars before and one or two JB4 cars, not sure what causes it though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Timing is fine, though you may not be gaining much by targeting 15 degrees as opposed to say 13.5 up top. It takes heroic idiocy to knock E85. As others have said you are targeting too rich for straight E85, the fuel system won't support it.

What did the slip feel like? My car slips the 3 to 4 shift every time if I shift back into the heart of the torque range. My car did closer to 480WTQ and is also stock frame, E50 + Meth. I can post up dozens of logs showing it, it's a visible spike in RPMs during the shift event. In the car you can feel a hesitation for maybe 1/4th of a second or so. With that said the trans has never limped or thrown a code, and has always engaged the next gear. Some people making big, big torque have reported it simply saying "no mas" and not picking up the next gear.

Your log doesn't show any slip that I can see - but what we'd really need to see is a log that continues into fourth gear. I agree 100% with what everyone else is saying on the tuning side.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First off thanks for your responses, @steve AZ I will read code and check for the 29dc, the car usually throws a code or two when I re-flash as the dmd adjusts. I apologize for the ambiguity in the post, I've lost a few days of sleep (happily) reading, digesting and studying the heck out of @V8Bait ('s) N54 Tuning Goodies download, which is without a doubt an unbelievable resource for the community.

What I should have written in my first post is that since I had placed a deposit on @VargasTurboTech ('s) Stage 1 Shotgun, and I would ultimately be better off purchasing a new HPFP to install it with, I figured I would get some idea as to where to go from there tuning wise. @SteveAZ, your kit installed beautifully and is also working exactly as it should, I should have specified that, and that I ran higher than e50 out of sheer stubbornness at the expense of my hpfp and perhaps everyone's time here.

I figured that I could fill it up with straight e85 and log one pull, and resume normal driving conditions, taking it easy on the fuel system. The first log I posted was of that "one pull" hot 90 degree Miami afternoon. This second log, is last night on the way home from work after just having started the thread.

@Pats135, lets assume that your right but this is the second time at the top of the run / high rpm that the car "misfires" and doesn't shift into fourth. PTF motor and AT transmission mounts are on my buy list this weekend too.

I

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeUgh, it posted it before I was finished writing! FML, you only have a 10 minute window to make changes to an edited post!

Here is lasts nights log which I was referring to in the above thread.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/boostinbisca...log=0&data=1-4

When I dyno'd on the dyno dynamics the tech mistakenly ran the car in fifth gear, so I headed back today with a few different tunes to try out. I agree that the hpfp is struggling to keep up if not faltering. Let me go and read the codes to see if what came up.

Thanks
    G

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like most most previous comment. Your trans doesn't slip according to your recent log. If the trans slip on the log you will see an up shift to 4th gear but will instantly drop back down to third. I am currious why are you run such a rich afr on 100% e85? With that kind of AFR even you have new hpfp is not going to fix your problem. 15 degree timing is fine with 100% 85. I saw a minor timing pull at 5k rpm but that could be engine noise.