Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Catted or Catless...

So I'm planning on buying from one of our new vendors (AR Design). They are one of the few companies that actually make parts for my e60 (YAY!). But I was just wondering which option would be the best for me. I'm hesitant to get the catless ones because I'm slightly worried about passing emissions but the catted ones are more expensive and I won't see as much performance gain (which in my eyes doesn't seem like a huge difference but for the price is definitely a consideration). In addition, I plan to later add the RPi exhaust on my car and I don't want my car to sound like a ricer...I am asian but I don't need to drive like one or a car that looks like a ricer...LMK what you guys think and if anyone has any video or links to some that I can hear it would be great! Click here to enlarge Thanks
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think your best off going catted dp, since you may get an exhaust later and your trying to pass emissions... Plus you want to keep the 5series classy Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by mazdaspeed6; 11-09-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

If concerned with emissions or global warming, cats.

If you want max power and aren't too worried about emissions, catless.

However, aren't these downpipes bolt in? So can't you just go catless and then go back to the stock setup when you need to pass emissions?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How difficult is it to put in downpipes and remove them? I've never done work under the car and very minimal work in my 5er...If it isn't that difficult I wouldn't mind doing it on my own at all...I'm more worried about the sound of the RPi system with catless dp's...I don't want it to sound too loud or just cheesy...

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    How difficult is it to put in downpipes and remove them? I've never done work under the car and very minimal work in my 5er...If it isn't that difficult I wouldn't mind doing it on my own at all...I'm more worried about the sound of the RPi system with catless dp's...I don't want it to sound too loud or just cheesy...
    Wait to see how it sounds like with the downpipes first before you do anything else.

I have no clue how difficult it is to install on your car, guess we have to wait until AR Design sees this in the morning.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it's anything like the 3 series it's not fun... Not saying it's really hard but I personally would not take them in/ out all the time... You always can just put the stock catback on because those have pussies too Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cat less is the way to go for power and running leaded race fuel. However I would ask yourself two questions: Do you have a friend to help you pass inspections? If not do you have a lift and air tools to make the removal install process much simpler?
    2007 335i E90
    2010 S1000RR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oosnoopy Click here to enlarge
    Cat less is the way to go for power and running leaded race fuel. However I would ask yourself two questions: Do you have a friend to help you pass inspections? If not do you have a lift and air tools to make the removal install process much simpler?
    Yes and yes! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Meh, I don't think I'ma be running race fuel and I don't think I'm going to try to push teh max horses out of this car, so I think in the end I'm going to go with Catted...dang though...another 1400 i'ma have to drop on this car hahaha...but it's all good, my car is sexeh! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Have a tech install it. The install is a nightmare. Srsly.....
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also won't you trip a code with that rear O2 sensor not reading the cat?

Also hworang00, I would pick up downpipes with a pre-welded wide band bung so it will be an easy thing to add later.
    2007 335i E90
    2010 S1000RR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes, you need an O2 sim.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Meh, I don't think I'ma be running race fuel and I don't think I'm going to try to push teh max horses out of this car, so I think in the end I'm going to go with Catted...dang though...another 1400 i'ma have to drop on this car hahaha...but it's all good, my car is sexeh! Click here to enlarge
    You say you don't want to push max horses... but you are already starting down that path.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ yup, 350 whp gets old quick, 400 whp gets old quick....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    ~600 whp gets old quick...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol idk I've only been in 600 once and can't imagine thy getting old Click here to enlarge but I'm sure it would

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Lol idk I've only been in 600 once and can't imagine thy getting old Click here to enlarge but I'm sure it would
    Depends on the car, 130 mph traps in mine were just like, meh, I could use more power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gotcha, I must say I have only been driving on low boost 11-12 psi and when I go to 15-16 it surprises me Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    Have a tech install it. The install is a nightmare. Srsly.....
    How bad is it? How bad is it with a lift and air tools? I haven't had my car up in the air yet.
    2007 335i E90
    2010 S1000RR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

so does 450, and then 490.. ect....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Everything gets old. I got used to 800wtq ;(
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    Everything gets old. I got used to 800wtq ;(
    That's why I can't imagine getting married!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hahaha you guys are ridiculous...800 whp?! Wow...I mean I know my car will never be as fast as the 1's and 3's here, and I'm ok with that. But I want a good set up in my car, I guess I should go ahead and say what I've decided as my eventual set up.

Eventually I want to get:
    RPi Exhaust
    Coilover Kit
    Sway Bar
    AR Design DP's (Catted most likely)
    FMIC (when I find one that fits my car)
    And possibly a meth kit...dunno for sure about this one but I do really want one

That's a good amount of mods, but I don't think any of these are considered extreme or anything like that. I want to be able to push a good amount of horses out of the car, but I won't be looking to upgrade turbos or rebuild the engine or anything dramatic haha. I mean you can correct me if I'm wrong about anything (Everyone knows I'm about the least experienced guy here) but I think that's a decent amount of additions/changes to make the car nice/quick/fun to drive but still pretty tame Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That looks like a good mod list to me! I'm not sure if you have a tune yet, but if you have a JB3 be sure to upgrade to the G4 board as soon as it comes out, it is much better at boost targeting and shouldn't cost much to upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    That looks like a good mod list to me! I'm not sure if you have a tune yet, but if you have a JB3 be sure to upgrade to the G4 board as soon as it comes out, it is much better at boost targeting and shouldn't cost much to upgrade.
    He has a JB3.