Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

First World Problems...Need an Adult!

Hey guys, I've been racking my brain for the last few weeks trying to figure out the best decision to make and have so far been unsuccessful so I'm doing what any reasonable person would: I'm asking the internet!

Here we go:
    I've got a FBO e92 335xi with a stage 2 cobb OTS flash tune. I've got no access to ethanol. And I LOVE my car. The only thing I love more than this car is the e92 m3 front end...WANT. Paid off with a clean title in hand.

Here's what I've whittled down my options to:

1) keep my car and when I want more, find access to a fueling solution (anyone in the business of shipping ethanol?) and get new turbos/tune/etc. This is basically a "keep on keepin on" option.

2) sell the car, pay off my student loans, pick up this clean e36 m3 on CL for $7/8k and in a few years get something new (I've grown fond of modern creature comforts like keyless entry and such that the e36 doesn't have due to its age)

3) trade my 335 for an e92 m3, acknowledging that pretty much anything I do to get significantly more power out of the car will cost at least $15/20k

I've seen tons of n54 vs s65 threads lately and I think both have pros/cons...n54 needs fueling and s65 needs $$$$, to oversimplify things. Without turning this into another "which one is better" thread (and I know I'm treading dangerously close to it) I guess I'm asking with pump gas only, and with future modification a likely occurrence, which would you chose? I had to go aftermarket and tune to get the 400ish hp I'm assuming I've got now. An m3 would do that out of the box...but what happens when I want more than that? Not sure which direction to go!

Paying off those student loans sounds pretty tits...if I can deal with an older car. Also, ain't nobody got time for cracking subframes on an e36.

But then I'm looking around for cars and keep seeing these sexy e92 m3s for sale for like $30k...and I'm thinking yeah...I could get on board with that. But then you look into a "fbo" m3 and you're just hemorrhaging $$ to get there. And then you want a supercharger? $15k. TT? more than that. can't hook up the cobb and flash tune it...i can buy a $1000 "chip" for an advertised 40/50hp gain but damn, that seems kinda steep when the cobb was less than that and I get basically unlimited OTS tunes, it's an interface for a pro tune, and I can data log.

I get it, you gotta pay to play, and I'm totally cool with that. I paid for my current mods. And I'd do the same with any car...just...some you gotta pay more. way more.

I'm not going down the "get an integra" path again. I'm pretty much sold on BMWs for the time being. e36, e46 with a true manual (impossible to find), or e92 m3 are all on the table.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why does your car have to go again? Can't you just keep it and pay it off along with the student loans and enjoy the best of both worlds?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    S65>N54
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mekong84 Click here to enlarge
    I had to go aftermarket and tune to get the 400ish hp I'm assuming I've got now. An m3 would do that out of the box...but what happens when I want more than that? Not sure which direction to go!
    uhhh a stock M3 does not put down what a tuned FBO on 335 does both on 93. Also the cost to get the M3 to the 335 levels is significantly higher and the 335 should be faster regardless.

You should focus on paying off all of your debt, buying property, and investing in your 401k and future. What you have to do to accomplish that is your choice. It's just a car, not your life. Think about the future and what matters.

Given your assumed income and your age just focus on buying a property ASAP. If you already have property pay off your school debt first and foremost including credit cards.
    Last edited by Torgus; 06-19-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sell 335i and get an e46 M3 from both an economic standpoint and currently available known levels of performance upgrades available. But...if you are confident you will keep making more money than e92 M3 all day, S65 just plain rocks. Or an S85 M6. They are getting cheaper too and a stronger motor. S65 really aren't that bad price wise to get up to ~600hp it's when you want to go beyond that where you are dropping major coin and performance per dollar becomes insanely lopsided.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    IMHO Pay of your student loans. You will come out ahead if you pay off debt first.

Next steps. Buy e36 m3. Swap GM LM7 into said e36. Sell the b32 drivetrain. Build turbo kit. Make 700WHP for less than $10K total investment. Click here to enlarge
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    keep your car since its paid for. And PAY OFF YOUR STUDENT LOAN DEBT! Its the best advice I can give.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

This thread was over when you wrote student loan debt. Get the responsible stuff handled first man then play with toys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Sell 335i and get an e46 M3 from both an economic standpoint and currently available known levels of performance upgrades available. But...if you are confident you will keep making more money than e92 M3 all day, S65 just plain rocks. Or an S85 M6. They are getting cheaper too and a stronger motor. S65 really aren't that bad price wise to get up to ~600hp it's when you want to go beyond that where you are dropping major coin and performance per dollar becomes insanely lopsided.
    But the performance ceiling rises. Regardless, this isn't a realistic possibility here. More important things to handle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Or an S85 M6. They are getting cheaper too and a stronger motor.
    noooo no no no. bad idea. do not go for an M6 if you have a budget.
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Why does your car have to go again? Can't you just keep it and pay it off along with the student loans and enjoy the best of both worlds?
    yes i totally could just keep it and pay off the student loans a little faster. i just started this whole thing by thinking of ways to pay off that debt in 1 year or less instead of a 5 year plan.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    uhhh a stock M3 does not put down what a tuned FBO on 335 does both on 93. Also the cost to get the M3 to the 335 levels is significantly higher and the 335 should be faster regardless.

You should focus on paying off all of your debt, buying property, and investing in your 401k and future. What you have to do to accomplish that is your choice. It's just a car, not your life. Think about the future and what matters.

Given your assumed income and your age just focus on buying a property ASAP. If you already have property pay off your school debt first and foremost including credit cards.
    well we only get 92 here so there's a little sad panda. also i totally agree...i've got a healthy 401k, a little equity in the condo, and on my way to pension benefits. which is why i was looking for a way to get rid of this student loan debt...it's the last thing on the list! i just...really like my car...and got a little excited when i realized an e92 m3 can be had for $30k.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    S65>N54
    bwahahaha here we go

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    This thread was over when you wrote student loan debt. Get the responsible stuff handled first man then play with toys.
    touche, salesman.

le sigh. responsible grown up thing to do is probably sell the car, pay off the student loans, and claw my way back to driving one of these cars. but the feeeeels....they want me to stay in my car...or trade it for an e92 m3. perhaps the whole "bang for your buck on 91 n54 vs s65" conversation should happen post student loan payoff. FACK. need sleep. will get back to making important life decisions in the morning
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    e92 m3 can be had for $30k.
    don't forget maintenance is more expensive on an M3 vs a 335i
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    keep your car since its paid for. And PAY OFF YOUR STUDENT LOAN DEBT! Its the best advice I can give.
    this ! get rid of those loans, in 5y time you will still be in a car you want...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd keep the car and pay schtuff off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I payed off all my student loans and it was the best thing I ever did. My vote goes to that. Keep your already paid off 335i.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha that replica front end...negative, ghostrider.

Yeah. the whole deal is if i keep the 335 i pay off the debt slowly and painfully. the only way to drop the hammer is to sell the ride. there is no "keep the car and pay off the loan" cause yeah, i'd totes do that.

looks like this weekend i might be taking that e36 m3 for a spin. let me start trolling the e36 message boards...

or screw it. i'm setting up a donation fund. help a brotha out! if everyone sends me like $50 i can get this shiz paid off and keep going with the xi! Click here to enlarge
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    noooo no no no. bad idea. do not go for an M6 if you have a budget.
    I think if he decides on the e92 M3 he's also throwing out the idea of a budget. Not a big difference in price at all now for an M3 to an M6.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

No problem with slowly and painfully as long as you're not making minimum payments or something. Don't sacrifice your happiness over a little interest, but don't be picking up new debt with more dismal depreciation and higher repair bills and ownership costs either. If you're really after a thrill on 91 and don'thave E85 access, pick up a meth kit and go FBO if you haven't yet (pretty cheap these days) and call it done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I vote E36 and pay off the debt.

Go Noles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pay off debt. Its lust which takes over in the car world. Imagine your gf/wife(future) buying 50,000 dollars worth of hand bags vs paying off her student loan debt.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Pay off debt. Its lust which takes over in the car world. Imagine your gf/wife(future) buying 50,000 dollars worth of hand bags vs paying off her student loan debt.
    good point. i'd sh*t my pants.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Go Noles
    THIS

Not a big difference in price at all now for an M3 to an M6.
    seriously...07 m6 listed for 33k...08 m3 listed for 35k. not a big difference at all. i'm just afraid of maintenance costs in what started as 100k car.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    If you're really after a thrill on 91 and don'thave E85 access, pick up a meth kit and go FBO if you haven't yet (pretty cheap these days) and call it done.
    wanted to avoid meth BUT i just did a search and it looks like there IS actually a gas station about 20miles from me that sells e85. must either be new or i failed at the internet a couple years ago when i did the same search. with e85 available and fuel pump/turbos being produced i think keeping the car just got a bump in plausibility.

i wanna make the drive out to check out this e36 m3 this weekend. i think i'm down to that or keeping the car. e36 m3 and pay off student loans or keep my car now, pay down the loans over the next few years, then get turbos/fuel/tune.

hahaha i guess we'll see what i post up on monday. i'm either coming home with that e36 or i'm keeping my car.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

seriously...07 m6 listed for 33k...08 m3 listed for 35k. not a big difference at all. i'm just afraid of maintenance costs in what started as 100k car.
    Exactly, if I could do it all over I'd probably just get an M6, that was the other car I was thinking about before purchasing mine, but was being petty, like wanting the updated idrive, and such. I don't see maintenance being any more. Keep in mind the e92 M3 was $80k+ on most lots also just has a smaller version of the S85. Really no reason to believe maintenance would be higher. I'd definitely say you'd want a manual though in the M6 since no DCT, that was the other drawback, or so I thought at the time.

If you're going to do any autox the answer is clear, M3, any of them.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sell car acquire E36 and pay off debt. case closed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    sell car acquire E36 and pay off debt. case closed.
    Get blowie.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast