E92 frozen special edition 330 kw vs 996 mark 2 GT3

Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Damn that was a beat down... the 996 can't be stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

This is said in the description:

The M3 Frozen is a South Africa only limited edition which has an increased power output of 330 kw (vs 309 Kw of standard model). This is achieved through an AC Schnitzer exhaust and manifold and ECU remap. The car also comes with a distinct matte black or grey paint job.

The car looks awaesome and the sound is incredible, possibly one of the best sounding cars i've heard, especially on the downshifts with throttle blips, it sounds EVIL!!!

We put my 996 GT3 mkII (with only 280 Kw) up against it and, well, lets just say the GT3 left it for dead. We did standstill to 200 km/h and rolling races in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. In all instances, the GT3 pulled the Frozen by significant margins.

Even from standstill, where the M3 utilized its launch control feature, i was able to beat it off the line.

We have loads of vids, i will post them soon! Great to know that a 2004 model GT3 with only 280Kw can still take on the latest tech paddle-shifters with 330Kw in a straight line.

and in the video above is a 2nd gear rolling start
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Doesn't make any sense, the M3 is tuned, DCT, and lost? Doesn't add up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

What are the power(whp)/weight ratios, gearing, drag coefficients and frontal area? Assuming traction is not limited and drivers are equal, that should give you an idea of who should win.

I'm guessing the Porsche has a much better power/weight ratio.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

probably same power at wheels when porsche weighs 500+ pounds less.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    probably same power at wheels when porsche weighs 500+ pounds less.
    Ya, but the DCT shifts so damn fast. It's weird, a chipped DCT is a 115-117 trap car, the MKII is right around ~115. It really should be heads up if anything. The GT3 can't be stock or something is off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

dude the guy can drive in the gt3 and its alot lighter he had one person and the m3 had a passenger

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

As aforementioned, the weight/power ratio has a big impact...its surprising what 500lbs can do...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    As aforementioned, the weight/power ratio has a big impact...its surprising what 500lbs can do...
    Not that much of a factor from a roll. The cars should trap around the same which is really the deciding factor in a roll on, the weight would have a much larger impact on the street, strip, or from a stop.

I pulled E60 M5's with bolt on's which are slightly stronger than a GT3 up top so to me this just doesn't add up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Power/weight is still a BIG factor from a roll until you are spending most of your torque trying to overcome drag forces.

Remember you only have so much torque to try and push your weight, and also fight rolling and aero resistance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Power/weight is still a BIG factor from a roll until you are spending most of your torque trying to overcome drag forces.
    It's a factor, just not as big of a one as when stationary as the mass is already in motion. At that point, power, not weight, is what matters.

Remember you only have so much torque to try and push your weight, and also fight rolling and aero resistance.
    Neither motor is a torque monster and I really don't see this as an issue. The results do not make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a factor, just not as big of a one as when stationary as the mass is already in motion. At that point, power, not weight, is what matters.

Neither motor is a torque monster and I really don't see this as an issue. The results do not make sense.
    I did not mean literally by the torque they are putting out, we look at power numbers because torque can be multiplied (gearing). They make the same power, one is 500lbs less, assuming they both have the same amount of torque at the wheels from 40-120 the lighter car will win because it takes less force for it to change velocity, or in other words, accelerate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I did not mean literally by the torque they are putting out, we look at power numbers because torque can be multiplied (gearing). They make the same power, one is 500lbs less, assuming they both have the same amount of torque at the wheels from 40-120 the lighter car will win because it takes less force for it to change velocity, or in other words, accelerate.
    "Assuming they have the same amount of torque at the wheels" is a big assumption. The gearing is a huge factor as is the DCT... the results do not add up as I stated. The GT3 does not suddenly become a 124 trap car because it weighs less, it still traps what it traps and still has the power it has. A bolt on M3 and a MkII 996 should be neck and neck if anything. There is an inconsistency.

My friend has a MkII 996 GT3, he would race my other friends C5 Z06 and the Z06 would pull. I pulled the C5 Z06 when it was modded in my M3, explain that.