Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

335xi Vargas Build by ABRHouston

Hey everyone.

Got some pictures and a write up regarding a recent build I had Alex@ABRhouston and his guys help me with about a month ago. Been lurking on the board for a while and not posting all that much but I hope this thread provides some good reading.

I've seen and heard a lot about ABR, Alex, and the work they do so I decided to take a drive from Northern Florida over to Texas in order to get this project done. Alex was always in contact through the process updating me on the build and I cannot say enough good things about him. He has a lot of offerings for the N54 community including head studs, main studs, pistons, rods, headwork, and others for those of you looking at a serious build. Here is what I put on his plate (car was already FBO):

- VTT S2 Turbo Install
    - CP-E Downpipes
    - 335is Engine Mounts
    - M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
    - M3 Rear Sway Bar and Control Arms
    - DEFIV Lockdown Kit
    - KWV1 Coilovers
    - Cyba 4.0 Carbon Tips
    - Performance Aero front and Rear bumpers
    - Powder Coated Calipers
    - Alpina Flash
    - Transmission and Front/Rear diff service

Some things I did afterwards:

- PTF Protune by Dzenno@PTF
    - SteveAZ's 450 LPFP Stage 2 Bucket

Xdrive Guts:
    Click here to enlarge

DEFIV Lockdown:
    Click here to enlarge

I just want to comment on the major components of the build to let you know my opinion on them so you can make some better informed decisions with your vehicle.

VTT S2 Turbos: These turbos are great and my experience dealing with Tony has always been pleasurable. I found with the stock turbos that there was always something lacking in the top end of the RPM range. You felt the drop off and it just wan't as pleasurable or as powerful to wind the car out. There is so much more overhead in these units and if you want immediately available power or would rather avoid a complete exhaust side conversion like a ST setup I wouldn't hesitate to get these.

M3 Suspension Components and KWV1: So much more planted through acceleration, braking, and especially in the corners. The notorious and obnoxious xDrive body roll is no longer present and the car grips like a maniac thanks to the help of some Michelin PSS. If anyone is concerned over and increase in noise, vibration, or harshness I have had no noticeable increase myself. Yes, your suspension will be more stiff, but it will feel exactly like a proper suspension on a "sports car" should.

DEFIV Lockdown: There was a thread I saw a while back about some complaints with noise on deceleration regarding this kit. My setup has NO noise coming from the diff at all under any conditions. The difference might be a very good installation or the fact that I'm still running an open diff due to this being an xDrive. What this kit does though is make my rear end rock solid under aggressive acceleration. I have no concern now with wheel hop or whether my rear drive components are being torqued around in bad ways.

Performance Aero Kit: I wanted to do something a little different in regards to the look of my car. M-Sport was always how I was leaning, but the e90 front bumper with its recessed center and the rear with its grey plastic looking diffuser never really did it for me. Once I saw the great looking and still OEM manufactured Performance Aero parts which I think are woefully underrepresented I knew that's what I was putting on my car. Not to mention how well the Cyba tips go with the rear bumper. Alex did a great job taking the bumpers from primed and sitting in the box to a perfect paint match on a four year old car.

Alex brought in a programming guru to do the Alpina flash and delete with front PDC and fog lights with no complaints from the software. He also squeezed in some M3 programming on the side for the electronics which are very nice. With a tune from Dzenno and Steve's LPFP solution both working fantastically I am supremely happy with how everything turned out. 100% E85, Tony's HPFP solution, and maybe a broken transfer case are what is on the horizon. Hopefully this thread is a good read and provides you all with some ideas of your own to implement on your own cars. Let's finish it off with some pictures of the final product.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good!
    Are you from ma living in tx or did you ship your car to have the work done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What a beautiful beast. Alex is always helpful, very knowledgeable too.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very tasteful exterior mods. Nice to see other modded xi cars. Have you dynoed the car yet with the new turbos and tune? Also do you think the lockdown kit on the xi is a worthwhile mod if your not autox or tracking the car?
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Man, we had a blast with your car!

I was gonna give you a ring and see if everything was good to go, since its been a few weeks.

Sounds like everything is bueno Click here to enlarge
    Alex
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why does the trunk say 335i but the post xi?

Have you had it dyno'd? Please keep us updated as I was seriously considering an XI for a single / vargas build.

Congrats OP and @alex@ABRhouston

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beakmoney Click here to enlarge
    Looks good!
    Are you from ma living in tx or did you ship your car to have the work done?
    From MA, stationed in FL, drove to TX.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    Very tasteful exterior mods. Nice to see other modded xi cars. Have you dynoed the car yet with the new turbos and tune? Also do you think the lockdown kit on the xi is a worthwhile mod if your not autox or tracking the car?
    Unfortunately an AWD dyno is impossible to find in Northwest Florida. The closest one is about a 4 hour drive. The lockdown provides peace of mind and protection from drive train lash and wheel hop no matter the application. However, unless you're really thrashing the car with high loads like on the strip I think you'd do fine without one.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    LCI xDrive models had the x removed from their rear badge. You can see the xDrive writing below the side markers on the front quarter panels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very Cool, love your car. Let me know if we can help with any turbo questions you might have!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thnx for the write-up. Wonder if because of xdrive thus no noise with your DEFIV lockdown kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what year BMW started leaving the badge with just 335i but on the side of the car has xdrive emblem. Mine is the same without the xi so confuses a lot of people when I tell them it's an awd.
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys! I didn't know that. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great looking car! Very tastefully modded. I bet its fun with the all wheel drive. You probably don't see many xi's in florida!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AmonFire Click here to enlarge
    so I decided to take a drive from Northern Florida over to Texas in order to get this project done.
    Wow is that some serious dedication!

Nice set of pics too and a great thread.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You work at NAS JAX?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    You work at NAS JAX?
    NAS Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels. Hence the last picture.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great write up, great to see people do things the right way and document it like this. Enjoy her now...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ABR does good work, but that's a long drive for the work completed. Props though for doing work on an XI that's kinda rare especially in the warm parts of the country. Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in Houston.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NAS Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels. Hence the last picture.
    Last picture is awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks badass man. Like the much much better version of my xi. What size wheels and tires?
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Always great to see another high power xi. Great job and awesome looking car
    07 e90 335xi Monaco Blue | FFTEC/Vishnu Single Turbo | Procede Rev 3 | Spec Stage 2+ Clutch | Spec Aluminum Flywheel | ETS FMIC | HKS Legamax Exhaust | Vishnu PWM Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From MA, stationed in FL, drove to TX.

Unfortunately an AWD dyno is impossible to find in Northwest Florida. The closest one is about a 4 hour drive. The lockdown provides peace of mind and protection from drive train lash and wheel hop no matter the application. However, unless you're really thrashing the car with high loads like on the strip I think you'd do fine without one.

LCI xDrive models had the x removed from their rear badge. You can see the xDrive writing below the side markers on the front quarter panels.

There is an AWD dyno dynamics here in Jacksonville, but its a heart breaker. Unless you plan on having someone tune it on that dyno, not really worth much more (no bragging rights).
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are those iS engine mounts any stiffer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    Looks badass man. Like the much much better version of my xi. What size wheels and tires?
    19" 235/35 in the front and 265/30 in the rear.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Are those iS engine mounts any stiffer?
    The drivetrain certainly feels less sloppy under acceleration. This could also be due to the fact that they are new mounts instead of ones with 50k miles on them. No increase in any vibration from the mounts if that's what you were asking with stiffness.