Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

A good place to start...

Hi guys, new to this site and I have to say that some info is a little is over my head. If I am repeating something that has already been stickied please point me in the right direction. I am looking for a flash tune that doesnt require a JB4 piggyback. I am getting a BT cable tomorrow and I thought that I could get familiar with the process of flashing my ECU. does anyone have a good place to start? Thanks again! and I'm loving my 6MT E90XIClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The Jb4 is a piggyback tune, as well as the proceede tune, they both work great and have a large user base.

The Cobb Access-port is the flash alternative and works great! I personally have used the Cobb AP Version 2 since 2012. It also has a large user base.

Cobb has recently released the Version 3, which is pretty awesome. You can look in the For sale section on Bimmerboost. Also check out the for sale section of the most $#@! BMW forum in existence (e90post) and see if you can find a slightly used Accessport for a bit cheaper.

If you prefer to purchase new, I would HIGHLY suggest the company Top Gear Solutions, Owners name is Jeff and he is a great guy, if you find a better price they will price match it.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them, but please SEARCH and READ, and you will learn more than you can imagine from our forums.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by N54GASM Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys, new to this site and I have to say that some info is a little is over my head. If I am repeating something that has already been stickied please point me in the right direction. I am looking for a flash tune that doesnt require a JB4 piggyback. I am getting a BT cable tomorrow and I thought that I could get familiar with the process of flashing my ECU. does anyone have a good place to start? Thanks again! and I'm loving my 6MT E90XIClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    You can flash the ecu with Bt cable but without cobb OR jb4. You need to find a way to do logs to make sure that your tune is good for the car. Most people like the flash tune and JB4 combo. The JB4 G5 do all the boost control and the flash tune do the rest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can flash and log with the bt cable but logging is kinda tricky. If your car is 2008+ most likely flashing will be a simple endeavor. Since you are a 6mt a flash only solution will be pretty good for you since you won't have flatline issues. A jb4 would give you better boost control with gear based boost limits and a couple other things, but it's not a necessity.

For flash only you can use the maps shiv has made available for the oft, some maps I've made, maps wedge has made, or make your own. Terry's high load jb4 backends aren't too shabby stand alone either and are nice starting points too. The bt cable is a more diy approach, less canned stuff than you get with cobb.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That makes sense. So how would I be able to log without the jb4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My car is an 07

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The BT software has logging abilities built in for a paired VIN, but navigating the software does take a bit of practice and it requires a laptop vs Cobb using a handhold or the JB4 using a cellphone if you have the app these days. It's not that bad though, especially with datazap that everyone is using now I'd say it's MORE powerful than the JB4 logging, albeit more difficult. The BT cable can flash infinite cars, but can only datalog 1 VIN or 3 VIN's depending on which cable you buy (I guess there's an infinite VIN cable for $$$$).

For a 2007, just make sure you have a good battery charger (20amp, or 5-10amp if you pull the fuel pump fuse and have a good battery) for the long read, and most importantly an AMD computer or 4th gen intel (Haswell based) computer. Some macbooks work too, but 2007 cars are really picky about computers.

That's all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Save a bunch of potential trouble/headaches and lengthy flash times and just get a Cobb Accessport.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Save a bunch of potential trouble/headaches and lengthy flash times and just get a Cobb Accessport.
    this is starting to look like a good idea. Im trying to read my ecu and it took forever and it still didnt get done. I have an AMD laptop but I think my voltsage dropped too low. everything was fine before I left for the gym. came back and my charger threw an overheating code. checked the voltage and it was around 12.0. time remaining started at 3k minutes and continued to climb lol I believe something went wrong haha Ill give it another shot tomorrow. Really want to try wedges flash tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is starting to look like a good idea. Im trying to read my ecu and it took forever and it still didnt get done. I have an AMD laptop but I think my voltsage dropped too low. everything was fine before I left for the gym. came back and my charger threw an overheating code. checked the voltage and it was around 12.0. time remaining started at 3k minutes and continued to climb lol I believe something went wrong haha Ill give it another shot tomorrow. Really want to try wedges flash tune.
    If you want a wedge tune just take any OTS map and plug in 15 of timing advance
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm looking for a good way to log too.
    at the moment I use cobb and ATR, but as I don't need the cobb features I want to switch to a reflash

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you want a wedge tune just take any OTS map and plug in 15 of timing advance
    That's the only thing tht changed? No higher boost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's the only thing tht changed? No higher boost?
    My comment was kind of a running joke around here... Wedge is a good dude and tries to be very helpful. I just don't recommend his tuning.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just don't recommend his tuning.
    Please, go on. I keep hearing people rave about his tune. Would really like to know the truth.

Also, can anyone speak on the fact the Cobb is superior vs. the BT flash tune? People keep saying it is but I have yet to see a list/reasons as to why. I thought they all modify the same tables?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Please, go on. I keep hearing people rave about his tune. Would really like to know the truth.

Also, can anyone speak on the fact the Cobb is superior vs. the BT flash tune? People keep saying it is but I have yet to see a list/reasons as to why. I thought they all modify the same tables?
    Based on the logs people have sent me to look at he just runs too much of, well, everything. Boost overshoots are the norm, fueling is sketchy on excessive ethanol blends and timing corrections are constant. It seems like wedge has a pump gas tune that targets a flat 9 degrees and an ethanol tune that targets a flat 15 degrees. Both of which are more than I like and running a flat timing curve is nonsensical. People tend to rave about it because the OTS OFT maps are absolute $#@! or they don't log. Sure, run enough ethanol and you can get away with 15 degrees of timing in certain conditions(please keep in mind that timing has to be balanced with everything else going on so don't take my comments about it as an absolute) but why stress the piss out of the engine just to pick up maybe 10hp?

The BT flash is a decade behind the AP as far as logging is concerned and that's reason enough because logging is your window into how the engine is running and how you can fine tune it. The hex itself has also been rewritten by Cobb to better handle boost.
    Click here to enlarge