Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 182
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    lol i can see your ploy lamia, but you're not gunna get them used(price), at least not from me Click here to enlarge and no they're not the root of the problem, although they may have had a hand in it (high running temps, more pressure, a lot more cfm). some good new though fellas, although it's only good i suppose from my perspective Click here to enlarge this is not the first case. when abid called his service rep he started explaining the problem, "that the plugs were sitting in oil," the rep then replied something of the lines of, "...and you have a dme failure?". that says it all, the car will go into the closest bmw service and they'll work on the issue. if the dme doesnt need to be replaced it should be done later that day, but if it needs a new dme and a reprogramming, then we'll have to probably wait till monday.

    the only good part of this whole ordeal recently is that n54 owners should check go their sparkplug wells Click here to enlarge the leaking valve cover gasket is a rare issue compared to the hpfp issue, but an issue in cars even stock, said the rep. i hope i can get the car soon so i can smooth out any minor stuff and get her ready for the mile event, if it happens Click here to enlarge.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,087
    Rep Points
    513.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    lol i can see your ploy lamia, but you're not gunna get them used(price), at least not from me Click here to enlarge and no they're not the root of the problem, although they may have had a hand in it (high running temps, more pressure, a lot more cfm).
    lol ya i was only playing.

    some good new though fellas, although it's only good i suppose from my perspective Click here to enlarge this is not the first case. when abid called his service rep he started explaining the problem, "that the plugs were sitting in oil," the rep then replied something of the lines of, "...and you have a dme failure?". that says it all, the car will go into the closest bmw service and they'll work on the issue. if the dme doesnt need to be replaced it should be done later that day, but if it needs a new dme and a reprogramming, then we'll have to probably wait till monday.

    the only good part of this whole ordeal recently is that n54 owners should check go their sparkplug wells Click here to enlarge the leaking valve cover gasket is a rare issue compared to the hpfp issue, but an issue in cars even stock, said the rep. i hope i can get the car soon so i can smooth out any minor stuff and get her ready for the mile event, if it happens Click here to enlarge.
    i wish you the best of luck man and once your car gets running again lets take it for a spin because i still have felt the power of bigger turbos.

    on another note as you probably saw i got my axle in today Click here to enlarge i am now one step closer to getting my car back on the road. now we ship them to the driveshop to get upgraded and back to the track she goes Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Points
    2,446.4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So the compression test turned out ok?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    we never got around to doing one, im home now, i should have looked at your post, or quoted it to remind me, darn. but even with this issue, the engine only has 29k miles, i would only hope all the cylinders are within spec. the car never drove badly, it happened the day after a spirited night, and it was performing beautifully, a few days after a brand new HPFP. i tried to start it the next morning and it sounded awful and couldn't hold idle well (turns out it was trying to idle on 3 cylinders).
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 12-02-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    this is more of a hassle than it is a problem, im not worried about the car, i know it will be fixed... its my wallet that is starting to beg for mercy.
    I hear ya, but $800 isn't the end of the world at least. The good thing is you have narrowed it down and have an idea of what you need to do.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I hear ya, but $800 isn't the end of the world at least. The good thing is you have narrowed it down and have an idea of what you need to do.
    hey, the car knew what was wrong, we just chose not to believe it lol. then again, the DME code was kinda vague. but you're right, it's not the end of the world, the car will be dropped off at BMW soon. once that happens i can follow the progress by calling his service rep later in the afternoon.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Points
    2,446.4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    I dont believe that the cylinders would just be out of spec either if mileage was all that was being considered. But, as you say, a night after "spirited" driving, it was "running beautifully", etc. ... and then lost 3 cylinders and possibly developed an oil leak the next day? Just sounds pretty coincidental and inline of perhaps some tuning/fueling issues that couldve caused deeper problems in the mechanics of the engine (ring lands), which is what the compression test would very easily rule out for nearly free. Just my $.02.

    Rob

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    we never got around to doing one, im home now, i should have looked at your post, or quoted it to remind me, darn. but even with this issue, the engine only has 29k miles, i would only hope all the cylinders are within spec. the car never drove badly, it happened the day after a spirited night, and it was performing beautifully, a few days after a brand new HPFP. i tried to start it the next morning and it sounded awful and couldn't hold idle well (turns out it was trying to idle on 3 cylinders).

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    I dont believe that the cylinders would just be out of spec either if mileage was all that was being considered. But, as you say, a night after "spirited" driving, it was "running beautifully", etc. ... and then lost 3 cylinders and possibly developed an oil leak the next day? Just sounds pretty coincidental and inline of perhaps some tuning/fueling issues that couldve caused deeper problems in the mechanics of the engine (ring lands), which is what the compression test would very easily rule out for nearly free. Just my $.02.

    Rob
    lol i appreciate your concern, if that's what it is (some users here would take your post as an tuner insult/bash). the leak you think happened, next day, didnt just happen. maybe it sounded that way when i explained it but the leak has been over time, the gasket doesnt just spring a leak, you should know, it goes through heat cycles, hot, cold, hot, cold, and over time it probably dried up and lost its oil retaining feature and started to slowly leak oil into the plug wells. a comp test would easily rule that out you're right, but i highly doubt there is a mechanical engine failure, right now the only issue is an electrical one. once the car is back from the dealer, i will give it more testing to set the autotune back and then set out for a dyno at some point probably. i guess really the only thing that doesnt make sense to me about your theory on the car is after the spirtied night, when driving home wouldnt i notice if i broke the ring land on a cylinder? wouldnt i notice if the spark went out of the 2nd bank? none of that happened that night. it was only the next morning, when i tried to start it up that it sounded like $#@! and wouldnt idle (because of no spark and no fuel).

    my question to you is, how would a broken ringland cause oil to sit in the wells? or are you saying the valve cover gasket was just another issue to a mechanical failure?
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 12-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Points
    1,377.3
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    I dont believe that the cylinders would just be out of spec either if mileage was all that was being considered. But, as you say, a night after "spirited" driving, it was "running beautifully", etc. ... and then lost 3 cylinders and possibly developed an oil leak the next day? Just sounds pretty coincidental and inline of perhaps some tuning/fueling issues that couldve caused deeper problems in the mechanics of the engine (ring lands), which is what the compression test would very easily rule out for nearly free. Just my $.02.

    Rob
    This post makes perfect sense. Compression test is easy to do to rule out this possibility.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Points
    2,446.4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    I didn't even look at what tuner you use nor do I care. I do not believe any of them are foolproof, it just depends how aggressive they are mapped. Simply put, I was trying to help you rule out something that could be causing your issues. And yes, gaskets can heat cycle to failure... But they also can be lead to premature failure from things like blowby from cracked ringlands. To make it a little more clear, cracked ringlands allow hefty amount of cylinder pressures into the Crankcase.... The excessive pressures tend to be hard on seals.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,219
    Rep Points
    9,374.4
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Personally I would do the compression test first before taking it to the dealer. In the unlikely event it is a blown engine you'll want to approach it a lot differently than just dropping it off at the dealer fully modified and complaining it is running bad.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Points
    1,177.7
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    If you had a broken ringland you would Have exhaust gases pumping out the oil cap and a constant limp mode . The engine would smoke and run extremely bad on 5 cylinders. At least this was how my car was running after the ringland failure
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    lol i appreciate your concern, if that's what it is (some users here would take your post as an tuner insult/bash). the leak you think happened, next day, didnt just happen. maybe it sounded that way when i explained it but the leak has been over time, the gasket doesnt just spring a leak, you should know, it goes through heat cycles, hot, cold, hot, cold, and over time it probably dried up and lost its oil retaining feature and started to slowly leak oil into the plug wells. a comp test would easily rule that out you're right, but i highly doubt there is a mechanical engine failure, right now the only issue is an electrical one. once the car is back from the dealer, i will give it more testing to set the autotune back and then set out for a dyno at some point probably. i guess really the only thing that doesnt make sense to me about your theory on the car is after the spirtied night, when driving home wouldnt i notice if i broke the ring land on a cylinder? wouldnt i notice if the spark went out of the 2nd bank? none of that happened that night. it was only the next morning, when i tried to start it up that it sounded like $#@! and wouldnt idle (because of no spark and no fuel).

    my question to you is, how would a broken ringland cause oil to sit in the wells? or are you saying the valve cover gasket was just another issue to a mechanical failure?
    Last edited by enrita; 12-06-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    If you had a broken ringland you would Have exhaust gases pumping out the oil cap and a constant limp mode . The engine would smoke and run extremely bad on 5 cylinders. At least this was how my car was running after the ringland failure
    thanks for the reply enrita. i had none of those symptoms thankfully. that makes sense what you said, about the cap. the costant limp i was getting was because the dme wasn't telling 4 5 and 6 to fire because of an internal error or short, caused by oil leaking into the wells of 4 and 6 (oil got into each spark plug well but was high up, even above the electrode in 4 and 6). i got an update from the dealership. new dme is 1000 and reprogramming will be about 400, ouch. i guess not as big of an issue you had to deal with enrita, but it seems both of our problems will give n54 owners some warning about issues that can arise. i just cant wait to get the car back and give gt3 a call Click here to enlarge i think a race vs him is better than a dyno at this point Click here to enlarge ive changed a lot of stock parts with newer stock parts so it may throw my old numbers out the window. a dyno will still happen, just wondering what the forum here would rather see.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Points
    1,177.7
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah man when you have my issue you know it deep down even if you dont want to accept because of whats involved to fix it. Yo know it when something big is going on and mostly the car will be smoking a lot.
    Your issue seems weird but it is known this engine and other bmw will have oil gathering in the spark plug wel.
    Be glad its an easy fix and yo will be up and having fun soon. You should get a performance box or vbox, best way to see how fast the car is depending on mods and boost and for compairing (with my car for example).
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    a dyno will still happen, just wondering what the forum here would rather see.
    Just like the new PINKS----- ALL OUT.. (even though its retarded compared to the original idea of running for actual pinks)

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    lol i appreciate your concern, if that's what it is (some users here would take your post as an tuner insult/bash).
    I dont see him implying that. I think he was just trying to be helpful...

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i just cant wait to get the car back and give gt3 a call Click here to enlarge i think a race vs him is better than a dyno at this point Click here to enlarge ive changed a lot of stock parts with newer stock parts so it may throw my old numbers out the window. a dyno will still happen, just wondering what the forum here would rather see.
    Well, you know me, I'll be waiting Click here to enlarge When do you think you it will be ready?

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    I dont see him implying that. I think he was just trying to be helpful...



    Well, you know me, I'll be waiting Click here to enlarge When do you think you it will be ready?
    1. which i why i said i appreciate your concern. im one of the most open and objective procede user's on here, i wrote that in paren's for a reason.

    2. the dealership told me Thursday, latest, hopefully Wednesday, because dme's aren't a shelf item, it needs to be ordered and then reprogrammed.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    That's great. So maybe we can run on the weekend?

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    yeah, if the car's back and i can recalibrate the procede (autotune) in time, i dont see why not.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Points
    2,446.4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I dont want to beat a dead horse here as apparently this is not oddjob's issue, but all of these failures are not created equal. Sometimes its just a very small hairline fracture, or it could also be a total break. It could affect 1 cylinder, 2, 3, or all. The hairline fractures may cause a 20% drop in cylinder pressures, the total breaks up to 90%. One may spew oil straight out the combustion chamber, one may not. Some level of excess blowby will happen either way. Pending on the level of the carnage, your car will run differently. With a boosted application, and under certain sets of circumstances (especially when it comes to spending lots of $$ otherwise); I'd always lean towards ruling out a compression test first as whatever the level of damage (if any) it will show on this simple test.

    Rob

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    If you had a broken ringland you would Have exhaust gases pumping out the oil cap and a constant limp mode . The engine would smoke and run extremely bad on 5 cylinders. At least this was how my car was running after the ringland failure

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    cue rep from RB camp to Rob Click here to enlarge j/k, but honestly i appreciate your concern, if anything im losing out by not doing the test, lets say one or two of my cylinders are not perfect, i wont make as much power on the dyno, not getting any customer record, and i wont win as many races. why would i want to do this? it will be obvious if i have low comp imho, but i can understand why it would be one of the first things you check. you have to realize rob, enrita's failure happened while moving, and while at WOT no less. my issue arose the next day on start-up. it wasn't a big bang (detonation or else) that caused failure, it was just a short in my case dude.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,104
    Rep Points
    1,398.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Doing the comp test is so simple, that should be a total no brainer imho, maybe it is harder on the n54 but I done this on several cars, boats and bikes. Get a cheap tool for this and DIY it is a 20min incl removing the n54 engine covers (if a standard comp gauge will reach in to the spark holes).

    Or ask the shop to do it.

    I remember reading about Sevaks car, he noticed his failure the day after driving it, when he started it in the morning. So why not spend the time or money to do this 1st? Seems as a simple insurance before going to the dealer...

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Points
    1,177.7
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but Sevak car was smoking from the exhaust and he actually noticed that before as well . His cylinder 6 comp was totally down.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Doing the comp test is so simple, that should be a total no brainer imho, maybe it is harder on the n54 but I done this on several cars, boats and bikes. Get a cheap tool for this and DIY it is a 20min incl removing the n54 engine covers (if a standard comp gauge will reach in to the spark holes).

    Or ask the shop to do it.

    I remember reading about Sevaks car, he noticed his failure the day after driving it, when he started it in the morning. So why not spend the time or money to do this 1st? Seems as a simple insurance before going to the dealer...
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,104
    Rep Points
    1,398.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    I didnt know that, but the comp test should be so simple we all should do it regulary just for fun...

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,104
    Rep Points
    1,398.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Enrita would you recommend him to do the comp test before taking the car to the dealer?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •