Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Oddjob - Upgraded twins dyno?

You were planning to dyno your car after the turbo install. I was hoping you could do that in similar weather to your pre-upgrade dyno for the comparability. And also before you have added a ton of other new upgrades, so that we could see how much the turbos are worth alone. Any plans to do this in the near future? I remember your baseline dyno with stock turbos & full bolt-ons was in hot weather. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    its true. i have been kind of slacking in the dyno department Click here to enlarge. I've had a few projects to do and it's kept me more than busy during the past weeks. i just completed a big one on friday and now this week is relatively free. tbh, i haven't been back to ASR since i got the turbos. so i haven't modded anything other than the chras. the i/c will have to wait i guess until after the 11.2010 PBIR event, unless i can get in contact with abid, which is difficult to do these days. tomorrow, since my schedule is much more clear and calmer, i will head to ASR with or without abid's call and just see whats up. i was in contact with chris recently and he said to drop by, so that's good news. the reason im saying i need to go to ASR first is i still have an issue at the upper RPM's with the overboost failsafe. its an annoyance because i feel if i mess with abid's tune for the car (which i can) and set the delay on the overboost failsafe for longer, or raise it to dangerous levels i could mess up my car big time. so i want abid to tune it properly on a dyno and then ill post those results. my biggest fear right now? not being able to get tuning from abid this week and going to PBIR this coming weekend and disappointing myself with the numbers at the track because of an overboost failsafe lol.

FWIW: asr posted results on their 1 a while back. stock tune upp'd turbos and stock parts produced ~300 wheel i believe. so a gain of ~40 wheel via the turbos, no boltons at all, even stock airbox

George: if i see him at asr, i will point abid toward your thread as i doubt he's even visited the forum. (i guess sticky can verify that)

654: you're local right? I'd love to give you a ride in her as she is. The lower rpm torque is just insane and the spool sounds are to die for. PM me if you're interested in meeting up some time this week or another.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 11-08-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    George: if i see him at asr, i will point abid toward your thread as i doubt he's even visited the forum. (i guess sticky can verify that)
    Yes, that is very true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

the reason im saying i need to go to ASR first is i still have an issue at the upper RPM's with the overboost failsafe. its an annoyance because i feel if i mess with abid's tune for the car (which i can) and set the delay on the overboost failsafe for longer, or raise it to dangerous levels i could mess up my car big time. so i want abid to tune it properly on a dyno and then ill post those results. my biggest fear right now? not being able to get tuning from abid this week and going to PBIR this coming weekend and disappointing myself with the numbers at the track because of an overboost failsafe lol.

FWIW: asr posted results on their 1 a while back. stock tune upp'd turbos and stock parts produced ~300 wheel i believe. so a gain of ~40 wheel via the turbos, no boltons at all, even stock airbox

654: you're local right? I'd love to give you a ride in her as she is. The lower rpm torque is just insane and the spool sounds are to die for. PM me if you're interested in meeting up some time this week or another.
    Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I'm not local to you, but thanks for the offer.
    Can't you just raise the boost failsafe from your own user adjustables as the upgraded turbos should be able to run a lot more boost and the default stockers' boost failsafe is way too low for the turbo upgrade? I don't think anything can go wrong, but to be on the safe side you could confirm this with your tuner.

I started this thread just to discuss the dynoing with your Ceramic Ball Bearing upgraded turbos and find out if we can help you with how to do it as e.g. giving good advice of how to adjust your user adjustables Click here to enlarge ..There has been enough talk about ASR already.

And lastly, most of us have full bolt-ons with stock turbos, so the dyno you are referring to as showing the delta with the stock auxiliary parts is not interesting and does not demonstrate the turbo upgrade benefits with bolt-ons. Other mods will support the turbo upgrade nicely and will show the true benefit of your turbo upgrade. Moreover, your turbo upgrade is a bit different with the ceramic ball bearings so that is quite interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I started this thread just to discuss the dynoing with your Ceramic Ball Bearing upgraded turbos and find out if we can help you with how to do it as e.g. giving good advice of how to adjust your user adjustables ..There has been enough talk about ASR already.

And lastly, most of us have full bolt-ons with stock turbos, so the dyno you are referring to as showing the delta with the stock auxiliary parts is not interesting and does not demonstrate the turbo upgrade benefits with bolt-ons.
    i dont feel safe raising the limit myself honestly, 654. i believe the OB limit atm is 20psi. i could raise it to 21 but abid i think told me racegas only! when i switch to map 1 (16 psi) i never hit the ob limp of course as it never sees that high boost, i could make the run on this lower boost setting but it wouldn't be the car's true potential on pumpgas. but as soon as i switch to map 2 and push it hard through the gears, usually at the top of 4th i hit it. or if i start at low rpm (like a dyno pull) and go to redline i sometimes hit overboost.

the day i do my dyno will be a real dyno-day. ill be making many runs. one of them being stock tune (rest of my mods intact inc. the turbos). one of them being 16psi pump only. another being 19-20psi pump+meth and the last racegas and 21psi if it's available. i tried abid this morning but it went straight to voicemail. ill try again tomorrow morning and with or without a return call ill head over just to see what's up.

I would love nothing more than to talk technically about these turbos.however, i dont have all the knowledge nor expertise in the field. but shoot your questions away, ill try to the best of my ability to respond with a technical answer. what is your advice on the user adj's? lower UT on map 2? and lower the DC gain?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

arent you using V4?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Oddjob I think you are smart to play it safe. Now that you got it all together there is no point ruining the motor to satisfy you curiousity that I am sure can wait till its tuned to perfection. Why do you not approach Shiv with the tuning and get advice from the horses mouth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

since apparently you are using V4 just upload the newest map and firmware for upgraded turbos man . they work great for me. The turbos are probably quite similar and autotuning/wastegate compensation will do the job to adapt to your ASR turbos.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

nah man, just go for it, 93 oct/meth 20-21 psi and go, autotune/cps offsetting.. all will save you if meth fails Click here to enlarge

srsly tho, no rush. i said it before. Everyone has a plan on what "you" should do and it sounds great.. until its on your car, and your the one responsible. Take your time and do it right

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Oddjob I think you are smart to play it safe. Now that you got it all together there is no point ruining the motor to satisfy you curiousity that I am sure can wait till its tuned to perfection. Why do you not approach Shiv with the tuning and get advice from the horses mouth?
    thanks for the words of advice George. i considered asking shiv for help. at one point he voluntarily tried to give me assistance and asked first if i was 6AT and then followed up with a bunch of information of upshift-softening and stuff for auto guys. i replied i was a 6MT and got no follow-up. i could PM him but does he check this site often? maybe now with that gossip thread. anyway George, im not going to have time to check out ASR today, i got slapped with another project in a different class. I will try to get there this week though and get your situation handled or hopefully resolved more than anything.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    since apparently you are using V4 just upload the newest map and firmware for upgraded turbos man . they work great for me. The turbos are probably quite similar and autotuning/wastegate compensation will do the job to adapt to your ASR turbos.
    thanks for the sound advice. it's very possible and maybe my easy fix. if im unable to get in contact with abid, this is probably what i'll do before the strip this weekend. what values would you start at and what values have you found too much in your case (i know it will be different for me, just getting parameters)?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    nah man, just go for it, 93 oct/meth 20-21 psi and go, autotune/cps offsetting.. all will save you if meth fails Click here to enlarge

srsly tho, no rush. i said it before. Everyone has a plan on what "you" should do and it sounds great.. until its on your car, and your the one responsible. Take your time and do it right
    thanks LM. i appreciate the advice, and yeah you have told me before, this is getting old for you i bet Click here to enlarge it will be done some day though, and when that day comes the internet will know Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Oddjob, you'd better go for Shiv for support. He does not let you blow anything since it would be bad PR for him. He knows V4 better than Abid who you can't even reach..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Well the only thing you gotta change if you are MT is the boost and ignition correction settings, i use this now:
    Map1 (pump 93/94)
    Initial boost 50%
    IC50%
    Max boost 16,5

Map2 (1000ml/min meth)
    Initial boost 85%
    IC30
    Max boost 19.5 psi

on map 2 the car is very fast :-)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Oddjob, let me know when you are ready Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

as an update i went to asr to fix my bad tensioner pully and idler. we changed all 3 just because the one good one was probably on its way out. the intercooler cores got there but one was damaged like you wouldnt believe, probably from shipping, or a pissed employee lol. so now i have another core coming and it should arrive within a week. after that the end tanks get welded up and its off to lujan for the dyno, and im thinking racegas Click here to enlarge but before that, today, after everything was buttoned up, abid called shiv to adjust some settings. at first we were going to just make a hard code tune, basically, no autotune, the problem with that is then we would lose the functionality of the newer procede features, such as the gauge display changes and 'vishnu command center'. anyway we were able to change some settings around, mainly lowering the gain a lot, so that it slowly will autotune up the value. on the drive home i wasnt able to test much on the highway, but it never overboosted. i hope to do more testing and basically, more autotuning. it feels really good. oh, i also changed my oil to motul 5w-40 300V. expensive stuff, but i believe the double-ester base is where its at Click here to enlarge

oh and GT3, call or PM me, i should be ready soon enough.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

well, the world is watching Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

as an update i went to asr to fix my bad tensioner pully and idler. we changed all 3 just because the one good one was probably on its way out. the intercooler cores got there but one was damaged like you wouldnt believe, probably from shipping, or a pissed employee lol. so now i have another core coming and it should arrive within a week. after that the end tanks get welded up and its off to lujan for the dyno, and im thinking racegas Click here to enlarge but before that, today, after everything was buttoned up, abid called shiv to adjust some settings. at first we were going to just make a hard code tune, basically, no autotune, the problem with that is then we would lose the functionality of the newer procede features, such as the gauge display changes and 'vishnu command center'. anyway we were able to change some settings around, mainly lowering the gain a lot, so that it slowly will autotune up the value. on the drive home i wasnt able to test much on the highway, but it never overboosted. i hope to do more testing and basically, more autotuning. it feels really good. oh, i also changed my oil to motul 5w-40 300V. expensive stuff, but i believe the double-ester base is where its at Click here to enlarge

oh and GT3, call or PM me, i should be ready soon enough.
    I want to be there when it happens.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    I want to be there when it happens.
    i have nothing to hide man, you, gt3 or anyone local is more than welcome to come. problem is at the moment the date doesnt exist, so there's nothing to plan for on your end. good thing is you have time to ready your setup and why not plan to dyno also. would be good to compare no?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

i have nothing to hide man, you, gt3 or anyone local is more than welcome to come. problem is at the moment the date doesnt exist, so there's nothing to plan for on your end. good thing is you have time to ready your setup and why not plan to dyno also. would be good to compare no?
    That is cool of you to be open like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Can I come? You got my number oddjob let me know I would love to be a spectator ::hides::
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

absolutely, but you dont want to run your car Click here to enlarge? it would be nice to have other numbers from the same dyno same day, diff car kinda thing Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

oddjob let me when you go to the dyno Click here to enlarge i want to say i will dyno mine too but we both know that not going to happen Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

of course man. and i think it may happen for ya, you dont think you'll get your half shafts in time? some i/c parts still need to get here and then get welded up. so we'll see man, i saw your car at the shop last time i was there.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

of course man. and i think it may happen for ya, you dont think you'll get your half shafts in time? some i/c parts still need to get here and then get welded up. so we'll see man, i saw your car at the shop last time i was there.
    no man i dont think the car will be ready for like 3 weeks. if i do i will definitely go so we can get some comparative dyno charts Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to attend as well if possible. I'm in the Miramar area.

-Jose

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

haha i didnt think it would be so popular, but cool. lujan isnt that big, lol, enough room for the car on the dyno and people can barely get by. but we can all watch from outside Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast