Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question Opinion - Sell 335xi and get a Ford Lightning and a beater subbie instead?

Currently have a 07 335xi with 75k miles with a dci, cobb protune, and some pretty wheels. This is my DD and my only car. Living in Colorado, I like having something that performs well in the snow, hence the XI. The soon-to-be wife is leasing a little impreza wagon (so our second car i guess).

Having a sport truck has always been a cool idea to me (some find the lightning ugly and dumb). But having something that can actually carry some stuff or tow something if necessary, and do a 1/4 in 13 seconds sounds pretty badass to me.Click here to enlarge Then get a cheap little awd car (subaru most likely) that I can drive for work and when it snows, as I'm in sales and need to drive like 500+ miles a month.

Or am I speaking blasphemy?

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

also, im not loaded by any means. 25 and about to get married.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The lightning is more than useless in the snow but you already know that.

If the wife is getting a car and you can both work your schedules around it the Lightning is a fun truck. I've always liked it.

It just depends.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the wife already has the 2014 Impreza (in my name lol), and I didn't want to have to work around the Truck or her schedule, just have my toy and an old AWD beater I could drive when I had to.

Currently renting so maybe put my multiple car dreams/wishes on hold until I've got a house... decisions decisions...

Everything you want costs money... Anyone need any freelance marketing help? haha
    Like Facebook PPC for example? I need to fund my car habit.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I realized that even if I was a billionaire it probably wouldn't fund my car habit.

It's never ending. There is always stuff to pay for.

The lightning is a cool toy and if you have a beater its fine. You may miss the 335xi when you see one on the road though while sitting in your beater.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    the wife already has the 2014 Impreza (in my name lol).
    Bad decision. You are young don't spend so much on cars, 3 cars means you will likely spend more in insurance and now have 3 things that can break. You are looking at buying two older vehicles to replace your one newer car so more maintenance is guaranteed. Higher insurance + more cost of maintenance is a fail, also worse mpg combined. Own 3 cars when you are in your 30s and OWN a house and can AFFORD a 'play/toy car'

Also don't marry someone who can't finance their own car. It's a recipe for destruction but I am sure you are not going to listen to me. Please for $#@!'s sake don't do it. If someone can't finance $#@! now it will never change. Whatever excuses you are going to come up why she can't and it's ok with just stop right now. Just got out of college and she has a ton of debt? Then she drives a $#@!box like she can afford. Don't let her live off you even if you are getting married. If a person can't afford or has $#@! credit they don't deserve a car that has to be financed and should live with the POS $#@!box they can AFFORD. Afford is the big word here. Most Americans seem to want to have zero money left over at the end of the month and max out their credit(you financing a new car I doubt you can finance much more right now as you are near your lending limit with your bank) and monthly bills. Then when something happens like you lose your job everything falls apart because you don't have a safety net of $$$ to cover all of your bills and living expenses for 6 months.

The 335xi can tow. What exactly do you need to tow? Most people with trucks don't use them for what they are for 99% of the time and just drive around getting $#@! mpg. If you really need a truck for your job the company will supply you with one. And given you are in sales a drive around it would be a weekend only truck which makes it even more useless. Unless you are short and have a small sick then of course buy the truck, you have to compensate. If you need a truck borrow or rent one for the side job you need to do. As you don't own a house or do construction on the side you don't need it.

Also financially wise by now you should be contributing you max to your 401k of 17,500k/y and saving every penny extra so you can buy a house before you are 30(If you save hard for 5 years you can have enough for your down payment). Only chumps rent, you pay 20-30% more per month and ever payment goes to your mortgage and is an investment in a sense. If you are doing all of this I guess a 3rd car is an option but wouldn't you rather have a toy like a bike, atv, sled, have an awesome vacation twice a year, buy a cabin/lake house in the woods etc? Save your money for important things like a house and your retirement. Also not only should you be maxing out your 401k but you want some stocks and other liquid assets so you never have to draw from your 401k and take a huge penalty and F up your retirement when an unexpected 20k expense comes down the line, and they will. For instance my town is about to send me a bill for 10k to be connected to town sewer even though my septic system is working flawlessly, it is not an option to not be connected and is a mandatory bill. I am sure I could go down to my bank and have it wrapped into my mortgage but $#@! that $#@! and paying interest on it for 20+ years. Speaking of which don't have a 30 yr mortgage. It's a scam. If you buy when you are 30 then when you are 60 you will have paid off your 1st house? lol. 25 year max, 20 is better or less if you can swing it. Just do the math and see how much more you will have paid in interest.

long story short ditch the chick and keep the car, max out your 401k, save for a house, put money into stocks, have a safety fund to cover you for 6 months of unemployment including rent, food, all your bills, and money for beer n dope.

BTW your father should be giving you this advice, not some random person on the internet.
    Last edited by Torgus; 06-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ That, +1000
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    2010 BMW S1000RR (Metallic Silver)Click here to enlarge

My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is great advice. I bought my house at 26. My 330i at the time and 335i,were both title in hand. Parents did nothing for me btw.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Bad decision. You are young don't spend so much on cars, 3 cars means you will likely spend more in insurance and now have 3 things that can break. You are looking at buying two older vehicles to replace your one newer car so more maintenance is guaranteed. Higher insurance + more cost of maintenance is a fail, also worse mpg combined. Own 3 cars when you are in your 30s and OWN a house and can AFFORD a 'play/toy car'

Also don't marry someone who can't finance their own car. It's a recipe for destruction but I am sure you are not going to listen to me. Please for $#@!'s sake don't do it. If someone can't finance $#@! now it will never change. Whatever excuses you are going to come up why she can't and it's ok with just stop right now. Just got out of college and she has a ton of debt? Then she drives a $#@!box like she can afford. Don't let her live off you even if you are getting married. If a person can't afford or has $#@! credit they don't deserve a car that has to be financed and should live with the POS $#@!box they can AFFORD. Afford is the big word here. Most Americans seem to want to have zero money left over at the end of the month and max out their credit(you financing a new car I doubt you can finance much more right now as you are near your lending limit with your bank) and monthly bills. Then when something happens like you lose your job everything falls apart because you don't have a safety net of $$$ to cover all of your bills and living expenses for 6 months.

The 335xi can tow. What exactly do you need to tow? Most people with trucks don't use them for what they are for 99% of the time and just drive around getting $#@! mpg. If you really need a truck for your job the company will supply you with one. And given you are in sales a drive around it would be a weekend only truck which makes it even more useless. Unless you are short and have a small sick then of course buy the truck, you have to compensate. If you need a truck borrow or rent one for the side job you need to do. As you don't own a house or do construction on the side you don't need it.

Also financially wise by now you should be contributing you max to your 401k of 17,500k/y and saving every penny extra so you can buy a house before you are 30(If you save hard for 5 years you can have enough for your down payment). Only chumps rent, you pay 20-30% more per month and ever payment goes to your mortgage and is an investment in a sense. If you are doing all of this I guess a 3rd car is an option but wouldn't you rather have a toy like a bike, atv, sled, have an awesome vacation twice a year, buy a cabin/lake house in the woods etc? Save your money for important things like a house and your retirement. Also not only should you be maxing out your 401k but you want some stocks and other liquid assets so you never have to draw from your 401k and take a huge penalty and F up your retirement when an unexpected 20k expense comes down the line, and they will. For instance my town is about to send me a bill for 10k to be connected to town sewer even though my septic system is working flawlessly, it is not an option to not be connected and is a mandatory bill. I am sure I could go down to my bank and have it wrapped into my mortgage but $#@! that $#@! and paying interest on it for 20+ years. Speaking of which don't have a 30 yr mortgage. It's a scam. If you buy when you are 30 then when you are 60 you will have paid off your 1st house? lol. 25 year max, 20 is better or less if you can swing it. Just do the math and see how much more you will have paid in interest.

long story short ditch the chick and keep the car, max out your 401k, save for a house, put money into stocks, have a safety fund to cover you for 6 months of unemployment including rent, food, all your bills, and money for beer n dope.

BTW your father should be giving you this advice, not some random person on the internet.
    Easier said than done. But none the less EXCELLENT advice! If you commit to this early in life you will be very happy with the outcome and most likely early retirement.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would like to point out the obvious. But many people who buy cars can barely acquire them let alone afford them. Simply because the bank says someone is qualified hardly means they can afford it.

This is not directed at OP as I have no clue about your situation nor is it my business. Just a general comment.
    Click here to enlarge
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I would like to point out the obvious. But many people who buy cars can barely acquire them let alone afford them. Simply because the bank says someone is qualified hardly means they can afford it.

This is not directed at OP as I have no clue about your situation nor is it my business. Just a general comment.
    I work in finance and buying cars these days is a lot like the housing market was 6-8yrs ago. And we all know how well that worked out. I sell things to people on a daily basis that shouldn't be buying them. But the way I look at it is, if I don't sell it to them someone else will.... Its the way of the world.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about a srt8 jeep? They are badass and you can get the older model/used one if you don't want to pay for a new one.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Also don't marry someone who can't finance their own car.
    Seriously? If men didn't marry women who couldn't finance their own stuff nobody would be married.

You marry the person and not their wallet I assume? At least if you are male you should because you'll be conceding your own finances for a family by default whether you like it or not as I assume men understand they are to make sure food is on that table.

This is male car forum absurdity at its finest. Marry the person that you want to marry, not the one that can finance a car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Fall in love with a woman that has a good job and credit score. And big tits.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Great advice, and excellent post.

The only thing I would say different (for me) is on the 401 k... I think they are scams. There is a difference between median and mean age of death.

Point is, I would rather take that $17,500 a year and invest it in a stock/fund that you can control, and withdraw against without penalty anytime you need. I don't like having my money locked away until I am 62/5 (for whatever you do) - and it's not "free money" (in regard to employee matching) - the company gets a cut of the capital gain. I would either invest yourself (if you can), or just get a financial guy who can make decisions on your behalf - and have him invest that 20k a year for you. You will be better than the standard 401 k average % increase/year/person - I cannot guarantee this, but I find it to be true. It just depends - but again, if you want your money available (without 30% penalty), don't throw it in a retirement account (given all the above things are true).

My two cents - but, everyone does things differently. There are wrong ways, but no universal right way for everyone. Click here to enlarge

Cheers man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Screw the Lightning, if you want turbos, ridiculous towing capacity, 4WD, snow/mountain & mod-capable get a truck with a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke turbodiesel engine. You would not believe what you can do to them nowadays. Hold their value well too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Fall in love with a woman that has a good job and credit score. And big tits.
    With a twin sister who owns a brewery.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    With a twin sister who owns a distillery.
    edited that for you!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    edited that for you!
    Sorry. Identical big tittied triplets one of whom also owns a distillery as she did not want to compete with her sister who owns the brewery.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Screw the Lightning, if you want turbos, ridiculous towing capacity, 4WD, snow/mountain & mod-capable get a truck with a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke turbodiesel engine. You would not believe what you can do to them nowadays. Hold their value well too.
    You think BMW parts are expensive, go ahead and get into the heavy duty truck end of things. ALL of them have their issues somewhere in the drive train and will cost you at least 10K to even touch 13's reliably. Not that the lightning is all that great but at least it's several thousand pounds lighter.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With a twin sister who owns a brewery.
    Yes. Add that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    You think BMW parts are expensive, go ahead and get into the heavy duty truck end of things. ALL of them have their issues somewhere in the drive train and will cost you at least 10K to even touch 13's reliably. Not that the lightning is all that great but at least it's several thousand pounds lighter.
    Yeah going fast is not cheap. However I was not aware how technical and FAST the big diesels had gotten until my buddy took me for a spin in his mildly modded dodge cummins six speed manual. Holy cow. Plus nearly 20k lbs towing capacity. If you live at high altitude, tow, like to mod, and must deal with snow like the OP and I do, turbo diesel 4WD is the way to go in one vehicle. Heck even stock they are impressive.

Whole 'nuther world. I began to wonder as I would have trouble passing some of these trucks going up hill in my mildly tuned 335xi (stage 2+ Cobb) @ say 8-10k ft ASL. Then I did some reading. 900 TQ is not that hard to hit on some of these trucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I'm going to agree with 99% of this. We have to also hold ourselves to the same standard.

Here us a great book for everyone to read (even if you think you're good to go): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/159555...&robot_redir=1

It feels great to always be 100% debt free. Paying cash for things (including cars) is a great reality check on how much one can afford.

We have four cars and two BMWs all paid for. The newest is four years old, but they are all ours. Sure I'd like an M4 but money in the bank is better (paying $80k cash for a car evokes a better reality check than say a $800 car payment).

When I was in my 20's I'd finance everything and spend a GRIP on mods and built engines all the while making payments on the bank's car. So dumb. I couldn't see it then though.

Sorry this thread went OT, but I really wanted to share the book link. It really helped my state of mind.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Great advice, and excellent post.

The only thing I would say different (for me) is on the 401 k... I think they are scams. There is a difference between median and mean age of death.

Point is, I would rather take that $17,500 a year and invest it in a stock/fund that you can control, and withdraw against without penalty anytime you need. I don't like having my money locked away until I am 62/5 (for whatever you do) - and it's not "free money" (in regard to employee matching) - the company gets a cut of the capital gain. I would either invest yourself (if you can), or just get a financial guy who can make decisions on your behalf - and have him invest that 20k a year for you. You will be better than the standard 401 k average % increase/year/person - I cannot guarantee this, but I find it to be true. It just depends - but again, if you want your money available (without 30% penalty), don't throw it in a retirement account (given all the above things are true).

My two cents - but, everyone does things differently. There are wrong ways, but no universal right way for everyone. Click here to enlarge

Cheers man.
    Interesting thoughts with one flaw IMHO - you get zero tax benefits with your method. With a 401K you put in pretax and get the benefit then (although the chances of taxes going down are about zero given our governments mentality over the last few decades), which is why I'm moving more and more of my retirement investments to tax free withdraw plans like Roths (where I put in post tax money now with the ability to withdrawal tax free in the future). Don't underestimate the immediate "return" you get of tax free benefits.

One other comment - by no means am I saying to live beyond your means, but leverage (debt) is not a bad thing. Borrowing money at a rate lower than you can get investing that money is smart. In addition, inflation is pretty minor right now, but you should always take in to account the cost of money and tax benefits of interest.

And one one final comment - I agree with Sticky on the wife part. Marry for love, not money. Yes, money is probably the one most common thing to argue about, but everything can be worked through if you are on the same page and truly love each other.

My $0.02.

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

I'm marrying for bra size. You guys do whatever you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm marrying for bra size. You guys do whatever you want.
    Prenup my friend. Prenup.

Seriously though - Find a good girl. You can add boobs (that won't turn saggy after kids) later.

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast