Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    rbs lasted 61k? thats pretty impressive...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

2014 is the year of the rebuild. Click here to enlarge

With 130k miles on the clock especially tuned for higher power levels would not be surprised to see a lot more cars throw rods, etc. Hopefully rebuild prices come down as more and more people get them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

^^I'm with T. There's no way a set of 6 pistons should cost $4k. I paid $800 for 4 for my EVO for 1400HD Weisco Pistons. VERY good pistons. Hopfully the price comes down for internals, maybe I'll pick up a 335i with a bad motor Click here to enlarge My machine shop here charges my $765 for all of my machine work and assembly of I4 motors FTW! can't beat that with a stick!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    ^^I'm with T. There's no way a set of 6 pistons should cost $4k. I paid $800 for 4 for my EVO for 1400HD Weisco Pistons. VERY good pistons. Hopfully the price comes down for internals, maybe I'll pick up a 335i with a bad motor Click here to enlarge My machine shop here charges my $765 for all of my machine work and assembly of I4 motors FTW! can't beat that with a stick!
    this isn't an I4 lol but ABR sells the pistons for like 1200 I think.. not bad at all. rods for 1500.. I think its reasonable.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

That's not bad at all. Right inline with what other I6 costs. Nice. Maybe I start looking for a blown motor 335i Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    this isn't an I4 lol but ABR sells the pistons for like 1200 I think.. not bad at all. rods for 1500.. I think its reasonable.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If a set of I4 pistons cost $800, you're only adding 2 more pistons so $4000 isn't reasonable. $1200 is where it should be. a 1400HD Weisco Piston is a 1400HD Weisco piston no matter what car it's going into.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a real expert, but looking at these pictures, isn't this classic for hydrolock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92mech Click here to enlarge
    I'm not a real expert, but looking at these pictures, isn't this classic for hydrolock?
    yes, and a quick google search would confirm.

I seriously doubt the age or mileage had anything to do with this failure, but I am no expert either. The little I know about how metal fatigues makes me think this btw.

60k miles with RBs! This should be a case study. That is seriously impressive. @OP Did you have and problems that the normal turbos have at 60k miles, aka waste gate rattle. Or any smoking?
    Last edited by Torgus; 06-04-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Did the failsafe fail? Solenoid fail? What made the meth pour into the engine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Uh, who charges 4K for pistons? Not us!
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

100% hyrdrolock, you do not break parts at cruise, low load conditions unless you have other issues. As far as RB's lasting 60K, you can get any turbo to last quite a long time if you run them in a reasonable range, the biggest problem with stock frame stage 2 style upgrades is, people by them because they want Power and lots of it, this means they are turned up from the get go, getting a turbo to live at a constant 3:1 BP ratio, and 230K shaft speed is asking a lot. Many other things come into play as well, oil change intervals, etc. Either way 60K is impressive for upgraded turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Rod does look like hydrolock but then why the hole in the oil pan? Was another rod tossed? Caps are still on the bent rod.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge

Ok but in all seriousness, what turbo's was he running? Could we get a full mod breakdown and tune breakdown. What meth system was he running?

Good to see this stuff happening. We all learn by mistakes, preferably others mistakes.
    I would assume BMS meth kit. He had RB turbos and a JB4 with a Cobb Backend flash. just normal cruising? Something else was up for sure.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

they don't, it's like $900 from ABR... (+$200 for coating), which is an amazing price IMO - CHEAPER than 2j or RB pistons, JE/Wiseco.. VAC sells CP for $1060 + a potential $805 in options. (take a stab at which one i'm willing to pay for hah)

if i can get away with $800 for machinework and install+timing, i'll be over the moon. i've budgeted a couple $k for that lol.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 06-04-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Rod does look like hydrolock but then why the hole in the oil pan? Was another rod tossed? Caps are still on the bent rod.
    debris got stuck between the crank and the oil pan, boom goes the cast pan.
    Click here to enlarge
    Follow us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    yes, and a quick google search would confirm.

I seriously doubt the age or mileage had anything to do with this failure, but I am no expert either. The little I know about how metal fatigues makes me think this btw.

60k miles with RBs! This should be a case study. That is seriously impressive. @OP Did you have and problems that the normal turbos have at 60k miles, aka waste gate rattle. Or any smoking?
    you'd be correct. The only thing that'll do that is a compressive force when the piston is pre or post tdc.

was OP running a direct port meth setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

If I was building an N54 I would NO DOUBT get my internals from you! Your prices are amazing!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Uh, who charges 4K for pistons? Not us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

vacmotorsports sells the 6 pistons for 1060$

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We sell JE pistons with tool steel wrist pins, custom turbo specific rings, shipped for 900 bucks Click here to enlarge
    Want custom coating? 200 bucks more.
    Click here to enlarge
    Follow us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My sympathies! Thanks goodness for ABR... they'll be receiving some of my hard earned cash sooner than later too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

We just had another N54 here in Florida go RIP. JB4 w/ backend flash, FBO, meth, and was hydrolock. Seems the hydrolock occured when it was parked and failed during start up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, has 1 hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    they don't, it's like $900 from ABR... (+$200 for coating), which is an amazing price IMO - CHEAPER than 2j or RB pistons, JE/Wiseco.. VAC sells CP for $1060 + a potential $805 in options. (take a stab at which one i'm willing to pay for hah)

if i can get away with $800 for machinework and install+timing, i'll be over the moon. i've budgeted a couple $k for that lol.
    The brands you mentioned for the supra arent the only game in town. I was able to get Ross racing pistons for $700. The moral of the story is the the more options the better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    We just had another N54 here in Florida go RIP. JB4 w/ backend flash, FBO, meth, and was hydrolock. Seems the hydrolock occured when it was parked and failed during start up.
    Stuck open injector(s)? Or a complete failure of the meth solenoid and pump?

That sounds just like crap luck more than anything else. Sucks to see though.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Stuck open injector(s)? Or a complete failure of the meth solenoid and pump?

That sounds just like crap luck more than anything else. Sucks to see though.
    My guess would be stuck open injectors. If the methanol solenoid and pump failed it would flood the chargepipe or wherever the nozzle is located and would at least turn the engine on. If he came back to the engine and wouldnt start at all then it must be the injector.
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast