Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

First track experience!

hey guys,
    Sunday i had my first track experience and i loved it,cant wait to get back.
    i have some questions but i will start off with some info about my car.
    2007 BMW 335i with factory oil cooler
    FBO JB4 G5 ISO BMS Race Flash 100% Meth Single CM10 nozzle
    BC coilovers,MFactory LSD,UUC Short Shifter
    Front:19x8.5 235/35 Michelin PSS Rear:19x9.5 275/35 Michelin PSS

my first question would be, should i go to the track with less power?
    i wasn't using the cars full potential all the time,only WOT on the 2 straights i didnt know if it would just be to much.

second question would be i have motul RBF600 and brand new stock pads in my garage. When i bought the car the guy told me it has BMW Performance slotted rotors,would this be a okay track setup? maybe brake lines in a few months?

3rd thing would be logging. i didn't log anything while at the track because i didn't exactly know what i should be logging. should i be logging a whole lap?
    just the straights?

4th question is 2 in 1, my only problems i had all day. after a bunch of good laps when i would start down shifting and slowing down after the straights my car would not let me downshift to 2nd. when i asked the instructor what it could be he said its my car not letting me downshift because it knows it will over rev. but at points i feel like i was going pretty slow and that it could not have been that. Could my transmission fluid have been getting to hot? not lubricating enough?
    the second part is,when i would be able to downshift into second and go hard threw the first turn thats a longer faster turn the car felt very bouncy and not very stiff.
    subframe bushings? dampeners not stiff enough? tire pressure?

well thats all for now,i hope some of you track stars have some helpful tips and advice!!
    and yes this was my first time ever on a road course track in any sort of car so my questions may sound a little silly to some!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats! Which track if you don't mind me asking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Congrats! Which track if you don't mind me asking?
    Well im in toronto, canada
    The track is called toronto motorsports park
    cayuga, ontario

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like a lot of fun except for the strangeness with your transmission.

One thing that is easy to do is to use a lower concentration of glycol in your coolant system, and a higher concentration of distilled water. Use of a product like Redline's Water Wetter is a good idea as well. You need some glycol in your coolant system to provide corrosion protection but going to 70% distilled water and 30% glycol plus a surfactant like Water Wetter will improve the coolant system's ability to move heat from the hot parts and to the cooler air flowing through the radiator. This not only helps keep the engine cool (especially important because of the extra power you've added), but also could help remove heat from the transmission fluid. Personally one of the things I need to do before I get my car on the track is to install a dedicated air-to-oil transmission cooler. I don't want to track without one.

Have you even changed your transmission fluid? If you are going to be tracking (well even if you aren't), now might be a good time. Redline's D6 ATF would be a good choice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, Mercon SP can be used in place of Lifeguard 6. Ford uses it in their 6HPxx derived transmissions. Also consider changing your power steering fluid. Use Pentosin CHF11S here. The steering system, like everything else, sees more abuse on the track.

I would say using the RBF600 is a no brainier. I would also recommend the stainless lines, both of which will be installed on my car before it sees track time. Remember, there are six flexible lines on the 335. I also plan on going with Hawk HT-10 pads front and rear. I didn't even like the stock pads for driving on the street, and the Hawk HPS I use on the street are not well suited to the track.

Concerning logging, I would log the entire run. I would log normal stuff like RPM, boost, air/fuel ratios, any and all temperatures. Stuff like that.

EDIT: I see now you are in Canada, so you would obviously would not want only 30% glycol in your car all year.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the responses.
    transmission fluid was changed recently with redline brand fluid but dont recall exactly which one.
    and i dont drive the car in the winter so i dont think it would really matter whats in their while its stored right? atleast i dont think that stuff can freeze...???
    if its okay to store it like this,would i be fine running this coolant setup s a DD?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like a lot of fun except for the strangeness with your transmission.

One thing that is easy to do is to use a lower concentration of glycol in your coolant system, and a higher concentration of distilled water. Use of a product like Redline's Water Wetter is a good idea as well. You need some glycol in your coolant system to provide corrosion protection but going to 70% distilled water and 30% glycol plus a surfactant like Water Wetter will improve the coolant system's ability to move heat from the hot parts and to the cooler air flowing through the radiator. This not only helps keep the engine cool (especially important because of the extra power you've added), but also could help remove heat from the transmission fluid. Personally one of the things I need to do before I get my car on the track is to install a dedicated air-to-oil transmission cooler. I don't want to track without one.

Have you even changed your transmission fluid? If you are going to be tracking (well even if you aren't), now might be a good time. Redline's D6 ATF would be a good choice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, Mercon SP can be used in place of Lifeguard 6. Ford uses it in their 6HPxx derived transmissions. Also consider changing your power steering fluid. Use Pentosin CHF11S here. The steering system, like everything else, sees more abuse on the track.

I would say using the RBF600 is a no brainier. I would also recommend the stainless lines, both of which will be installed on my car before it sees track time. Remember, there are six flexible lines on the 335. I also plan on going with Hawk HT-10 pads front and rear. I didn't even like the stock pads for driving on the street, and the Hawk HPS I use on the street are not well suited to the track.

Concerning logging, I would log the entire run. I would log normal stuff like RPM, boost, air/fuel ratios, any and all temperatures. Stuff like that.

EDIT: I see now you are in Canada, so you would obviously would not want only 30% glycol in your car all year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to 3-Series -> E9X
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Moved to 3-Series -> E9X
    sorry dude,i was debating in which one to put it!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alexx03 Click here to enlarge
    sorry dude,i was debating in which one to put it!!
    No worries.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alexx03 Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the responses.
    transmission fluid was changed recently with redline brand fluid but dont recall exactly which one.
    and i dont drive the car in the winter so i dont think it would really matter whats in their while its stored right? atleast i dont think that stuff can freeze...???
    if its okay to store it like this,would i be fine running this coolant setup s a DD?
    30/70 glycol water mix is fine for daily driving, but I wouldn't store it that way in Canada over the winter unless the storage facility is heated and there is zero chance of the heater breaking. All you need is one cold night to crack your block.

Have a look at this table for the freezing point of a glycol/water solution

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html

A 30/70 mix freezes at -14 C while a 50/50 mix freezes at -37 C. I'm in Pittsburgh and I won't even use 30/70 in the winter. It's pretty easy to change the ratio, though. You can siphon the overflow tank dry and add either straight distilled water, or straight BMW coolant. Gets you pretty close to where you need to be. The capacity of the system is two gallons give or take.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    okay kool thanks for that!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    30/70 glycol water mix is fine for daily driving, but I wouldn't store it that way in Canada over the winter unless the storage facility is heated and there is zero chance of the heater breaking. All you need is one cold night to crack your block.

Have a look at this table for the freezing point of a glycol/water solution

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html

A 30/70 mix freezes at -14 C while a 50/50 mix freezes at -37 C. I'm in Pittsburgh and I won't even use 30/70 in the winter. It's pretty easy to change the ratio, though. You can siphon the overflow tank dry and add either straight distilled water, or straight BMW coolant. Gets you pretty close to where you need to be. The capacity of the system is two gallons give or take.