Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

N20 Turbo Upgrade

I think this is new info - couldn't find a thread on it.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/bmw-n20-upgrade-turbo

Specs are pretty hard to find, but appears to be a bolt-on replacement including the EWG from Mitsubishi.

$3,500 MSRP.

No HP estimates.

Clearly not many details, but thought some folks might find it interesting. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in on what they think Mitsu is doing (@VargasTurboTech).

In Chinese info:
    http://modify.modiauto.com.cn/industry/1077/25291_1.html

Translated:
    [BMW's N20 engine can be described as extremely rare in recent years modified four-cylinder turbo engine upgrade potential , N20B20 is applied on the new three- series models F30 system , which is defined as 328 high-power , low-power , compared with 320 , while models the price range spans more than twenty four hundred thousand , and the purchase price range of BMW models and will choose three lines , much as there is a demand for personalized upgrade owners , so it led to a multi- year, based on BMW the new three-line modification Stories abound , even hot to even BMW China can not sit idly by , rushed to the official introduction of BMW Performance product line attitude should be the city , and which is the flagship model of the new F30 series three lines . But the official conversion will design the appearance , active safety performance parts for turbo system is further lacks .
    Mitsubishi turbo system for many modifications in terms familiar to the owners , we widely familiar Trust 's TD series turbo body is produced from Mitsubishi . The launch of the N20 suite , continue to follow the original double vortex tube structure , which can effectively reduce the exhaust interference of each cylinder , the cylinder exhaust intake more fully , while promoting thrust turbine exhaust and more average . In addition , electronic wastegate is also consistent with the original , truly Plug & Play convenience, especially for many Chinese consumers, non-destructive installation is the best way at this stage .
    SEMA selection of the top ten products invincible choice
    The official did not disclose the price and performance of the output of this turbo kit , but this product is officially classified as Racing & Performance Products and brands to Japanese turbo conversion market has occupied half of the world's point of view , I believe the rich experience modification upgrade Mitsubishi turbo will not lose this face.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    L322 Range Rover Java Black (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Interesting, looking for some speculation.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting, looking for some speculation.
    Yep - me too. I really like the N20. It is a pretty fun little engine with the 8sp auto.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Yep - me too. I really like the N20. It is a pretty fun little engine with the 8sp auto.

-Rich
    Definitely, and I come from a background of 4 banger turbos. My mom has the 328 with this engine and it is a great motor. I'm sure it will do great with a EFR type upgrade to it. Tuning it will be the issue again, as it always is with BMW.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I posted a similar thread on two very well-known forums yesterday.

I have a friend who somehow was able to source more information on this.
    He was able to get a technical data pdf and sent me two pictures but quality is poor and not worth posting.

The new reference number is TD04LR6-15TK35 and flows almost 20% more. It jumps from 0.1964 m^3/s to 0.2347 m^3/s. Huge improvement I guess but VargasTurboTech is the best person to tell us what this means.

Production process of compressor wheel is changed to machined to cope with increased circumference speed due to increased diameter while remaining structural integrity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcoac14 Click here to enlarge
    I posted a similar thread on two very well-known forums yesterday.

I have a friend who somehow was able to source more information on this.
    He was able to get a technical data pdf and sent me two pictures but quality is poor and not worth posting.

The new reference number is TD04LR6-15TK35 and flows almost 20% more. It jumps from 0.1964 m^3/s to 0.2347 m^3/s. Huge improvement I guess but VargasTurboTech is the best person to tell us what this means.

Production process of compressor wheel is changed to machined to cope with increased circumference speed due to increased diameter while remaining structural integrity.
    Nice - good info Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

The turbo is basically a smaller version of the N55 and uses an MHI CHRA instead of a Borg Warner. I do not to give away to many details, but the CHRA they use is nothing new, its actually almosy identical to CHRA's on other reverse rotation 4 cylinder turbo motors from a few years back with BMW's push in style fittings. We actaully just put the machine shop back on this as they finished up a large batch of N54, and N55's for us. They are working on the N20 and N63 right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Like Tony said, this is a tried and true MHI turbo. TD04 tubos date back as far as 1989 as far as I can remember in the 1G Eclipses (I'm sure longer but that's as far as my car experience goes LOL). They had a 14b compressor wheel. These have a 15T compressor wheel. These new ones are reverse rotation and turbine housings that are cast into the exhaust mani, so those are pains in the ass for Tony and people looking to develop upgrades. I'm not familiar with the turbine wheel used here. I wonder what the max PSI is out of this turbo stock? anyone hit that yet? @Terry@BMS ? Regardless, I can't wait to see what Tony does with this motor as I'm a huge I4T fan also!
    2011 335is DCT, collecting parts....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Like Tony said, this is a tried and true MHI turbo. TD04 tubos date back as far as 1989 as far as I can remember in the 1G Eclipses (I'm sure longer but that's as far as my car experience goes LOL). They had a 14b compressor wheel. These have a 15T compressor wheel. These new ones are reverse rotation and turbine housings that are cast into the exhaust mani, so those are pains in the ass for Tony and people looking to develop upgrades. I'm not familiar with the turbine wheel used here. I wonder what the max PSI is out of this turbo stock? anyone hit that yet? @Terry@BMS ? Regardless, I can't wait to see what Tony does with this motor as I'm a huge I4T fan also!
    What I meant was, MHI basically just dug in their parts bin and pulled a CHRA from another model and changed the water and oil inlets and fit it in the N20, the BW in the N55 is a much better turbo, with new wheel designs, billet wheels, dual piston rings, full back wheel etc. I am actually surprised BMW went with this turbo for the N20, they are for sure tried and true, but as you are pointed out, this is pretty much 1980's wheels technology being used in a 2013 vehicle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

^^Yup. for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Is the N20 15T compressor wheel cast?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I'm not a huge BW fan as of late but the billet wheels do make a huge difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    What I meant was, MHI basically just dug in their parts bin and pulled a CHRA from another model and changed the water and oil inlets and fit it in the N20, the BW in the N55 is a much better turbo, with new wheel designs, billet wheels, dual piston rings, full back wheel etc. I am actually surprised BMW went with this turbo for the N20, they are for sure tried and true, but as you are pointed out, this is pretty much 1980's wheels technology being used in a 2013 vehicle.
    I take it this means there is lots of room for improvement? Click here to enlarge Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Is the N20 15T compressor wheel cast?
    Yes, its basically the same CHRA they were putting in some platforms a few years back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

yup, found it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The turbo is basically a smaller version of the N55 and uses an MHI CHRA instead of a Borg Warner. I do not to give away to many details, but the CHRA they use is nothing new, its actually almosy identical to CHRA's on other reverse rotation 4 cylinder turbo motors from a few years back with BMW's push in style fittings. We actaully just put the machine shop back on this as they finished up a large batch of N54, and N55's for us. They are working on the N20 and N63 right now.
    Since it's a smaller version of the N55, isn't it possible to use a stock N55 turbo?

Do you have any idea when you'll have the first prototype?
    Have you spoken with Terry about tuning? I'm not quite sure the tune is there yet. We're still struggling to max out the stock unit. The EWG is a PITA and the N20's are suffering from stuttering, misfires, etc.

Also, my friend talked to a tune shop and he's been told that this replacement is expected to give 60hp more. Any thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcoac14 Click here to enlarge
    Since it's a smaller version of the N55, isn't it possible to use a stock N55 turbo?

Do you have any idea when you'll have the first prototype?
    Have you spoken with Terry about tuning? I'm not quite sure the tune is there yet. We're still struggling to max out the stock unit. The EWG is a PITA and the N20's are suffering from stuttering, misfires, etc.

Also, my friend talked to a tune shop and he's been told that this replacement is expected to give 60hp more. Any thoughts?
    N55 will not fit, two different brand turbos, the housings just look similar. Spoke to Terry a long time ago, he is waiting for us to finish, tuning is not there yet, we will have something by the time it is. No idea what kind of power it will add until we do some testing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N55 will not fit, two different brand turbos, the housings just look similar. Spoke to Terry a long time ago, he is waiting for us to finish, tuning is not there yet, we will have something by the time it is. No idea what kind of power it will add until we do some testing.
    Got it. Look forward to hearing back from you. Keep us posted