Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    This is just speculation. It is detonation related but ylj can't blame meth. I've broken ring lands just like that several times on a Subaru and it wasn't running meth at all. It also didn't happen immediately, but cracked over time them breaks (and still was drivable!).

Let's let him post the facts.

Yes you can blame meth, unless one cylinder is magically detonating for any reason other then $#@!ty meth distribution. Ever been to the home and garden section at home depot? Same stuff thats in a meth kit. Bad and uneven distribution = kaboom. Doesnt take long at all. 4-6 were all pinging because they were probably all reading detonation from the broken cylinder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Terry, why is the JB4 can only read cyl. 1? I understand the JB4 is connected and reading the knock sensors though correct? But is it possible to switch which cylinder we see? So, say we see misfired on cyl. 5 or 6 we could switch over to only view that cylinder?
    To read cylinders 2-6 ignition corrections via CAN you need to enable some bits in the flash which can't be done via the open flash software currently.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate seeing this sort of thing. My base Cobb tune has perfect timing at 12 PSI, but once I add the piggy for meth control and up boost to 18, I have to assume that the added octane is sufficient for the conditions. Dangerous assumption. I wish there was a way to log via piggy and Cobb simultaneously.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    To read cylinders 2-6 ignition corrections via CAN you need to enable some bits in the flash which can't be done via the open flash software currently.
    Ok, I think I follow now, so you're saying with some further work done using COBB as a backend it's possible? That'd be awesome. JB4 boost control and additional features, with a backend flash able to log all cylinders for a single turbo? Yes, please
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hausofboost Click here to enlarge
    FFTEC single turbo 62mm with meth injection and 22psi. This one was tuned by shiv.
    You're allowed to mention Shiv blew a motor without a riot being thrown?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wait what? Did you manage to get full timing recovery now on Cobb+JB4 stack? I've been so busy with new job, house move and a destructive baby boy that I haven't really been keeping up.

Heck, I barely even get to drive anymore Click here to enlarge Public transportation FTL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Wait what? Did you manage to get full timing recovery now on Cobb+JB4 stack? I've been so busy with new job, house move and a destructive baby boy that I haven't really been keeping up.

Heck, I barely even get to drive anymore Click here to enlarge Public transportation FTL.
    No changes have been made there. All the back end flash maps recover nicely with redline shifts generally. And with a ST redline shifts are what you want!
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 05-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You're allowed to mention Shiv blew a motor without a riot being thrown?
    He's abandoned this scene... Just don't mention it on a Toyota forum and you're good. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No changes have been made there. All the back end flash maps recover nicely with redline shifts generally. And with a ST redline shifts are what you want!

oh ok. I woke up all excited for a second there. Click here to enlarge back to changing diapers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    weird. even without meth on 22psi with at least good 93oct or e85mix shouldnt happen. might have missed it . how aggressive of timing?>
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    weird. even without meth on 22psi with at least good 93oct or e85mix shouldnt happen. might have missed it . how aggressive of timing?>
    This was early on in the Vishnu/fftec ST days but he's targeting 12.5*. I seem to remember seeing some ST logs as high as 15* but could be wrong.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650145
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it just me or has FFtec distanced themselves from Vishnu?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it just me or has FFtec distanced themselves from Vishnu?
    Probably a good business move!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dietcoke Click here to enlarge
    Yes you can blame meth, unless one cylinder is magically detonating for any reason other then $#@!ty meth distribution. Ever been to the home and garden section at home depot? Same stuff thats in a meth kit. Bad and uneven distribution = kaboom. Doesnt take long at all. 4-6 were all pinging because they were probably all reading detonation from the broken cylinder.
    No, you can't. You can speculate as you're doing. I have cracked ring lands on several motors that looked like the above on cars without meth, therefor cracked piston doesn't equal a meth distribution problem. Detonation can and does happen in a single cylinder with others being fine. In fact, it's likely if you watch your logs. Meth flow is a possibility, but we can't say for sure from our couches.
    Last edited by The Ghost; 05-27-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another reason 100% E85 via the direct injectors is such a worthwhile upgrade for those pushing limits, regardless of your turbo selection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    No, you can't. You can speculate as you're doing. I have cracked ring lands on several motors that looked like the above on cars without meth, therefor cracked piston doesn't equal a meth distribution problem. Detonation can and does happen in a single cylinder with others being fine. In fact, it's likely if you watch your logs. Meth flow is a possibility, but we can't say for sure from our couches.
    Meth distribution is a problem whether it caused this failure or not. Apparently this is eclipsing your grasp of the issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i wanna buy a FR-S just to troll Shiv.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    i wanna buy a FR-S just to troll Shiv.
    Just say you have one. He said Vishnu had support. Fair is fair.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just say you have one. He said Vishnu had support. Fair is fair.
    Ha! I would rep this if I could, but I can't, so I won't.
    RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS | Coming Soon: E85
    Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm still at work won't be back home until the weekend. I was running 100 octane gas at the time also. I will see if I have a log but the car drove fine with a little missing power. I didn't realize anything was wrong until I saw pure white smoke out the exhaust. Heavy tint masked it well. I will see what logs I have on my laptop but I don't believe I have a log for those last pulls. I don't know exactly what what wrong but with the amount of meth and race gas timing would be difficult unless it spiked somehow. I'm open to opinions and was hoping this could get some ideas. Oh it was cylinder 1 btw cylinder 6 was also a little down on compression too and the rest were perfect. I'll be posting a second motor here soon too that's blown.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still at work won't be back home until the weekend. I was running 100 octane gas at the time also. I will see if I have a log but the car drove fine with a little missing power. I didn't realize anything was wrong until I saw pure white smoke out the exhaust. Heavy tint masked it well. I will see what logs I have on my laptop but I don't believe I have a log for those last pulls. I don't know exactly what what wrong but with the amount of meth and race gas timing would be difficult unless it spiked somehow. I'm open to opinions and was hoping this could get some ideas. Oh it was cylinder 1 btw cylinder 6 was also a little down on compression too and the rest were perfect. I'll be posting a second motor here soon too that's blown.
    Ok so this is your motor in the OP?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully the second motor isn't yours too? If so, damn...Jesus hates you.
    RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | Alpina TCU Flash | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | RB PCV | M3 Control Arms | Cool Carbon Pads | BBS CH | Conti DWS | Coming Soon: E85
    Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer | Got E85? Make sure you have it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

This is what the internals of a blown single turbo N54 engine tuned by Vishnu look like

Everyone blows motors. Everyone. We have seen blown built motor supercharged S65 V8's from ESS-Tuning among engine failures from just about everyone for a multitude of reasons. That is why it is so important to make sure you have a quality tune on your motor as even if you use stronger aftermarket internals no engine is going to survive a bad tune. What happened here is up to debate and no doubt finger pointing will ensue but it is clear that something happened resulting in a blown motor.

There are some big chunks of the pistons missing which certainly points to detonation as it looks like the motor beat itself to death. There is also some scorching and scuffing but there are many things that could have happened. Was the tune too aggressive and did the car run too lean? Was methanol distribution uneven and is that why some pistons look far worse than others? Not enough octane and continuous detonation? Faulty parts? Was the limit of these internals reached and surpassed?

There are a million ways to spin this and this is not an indictment of Vishnu's tuning on the N54 although Vishnu's influence in N54 tuning has waned to the point of irrelevance. This is to educate that failures do indeed happen, everything has a limit, and as N54's with single turbos become more popular pushing the power output to well over double what the motor has from the factory means the margin for error becomes far smaller.

Thank you to the owner for sharing these pictures and not hiding them.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    It's the e85 and meth properties. Keeps everything super cool and literally no detonation with the high ass octane.

Yup, alcohol is a great lubricant if you are a homo sapien on the look out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Out of curiosity, OP, how old were your injectors, spark plugs, coils, hpfp, lpfp, valve cover and pcv check valves, etc and what was your maintenance schedule for oil changes and meth line/fitting teardown/inspection? Not trying to move blame or point fingers. Just trying to get an accurate depiction of the life of the motor along with the parameters of the tune.

there are a good deal of people running shiv's tune on a single turbo and running higher pressures on upgrades twins that haven't had this issue. There are also a number of people who have had a similar failure with any number of the different tunes out there for this platform. I think that, rather than immediately pointing fingers, we should be looking for the facts and then see where the lead us, and not try to find facts that support our hypotheses. Just my .02

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast