Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

blown N54 pics as requested

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What setup did you run when the engine blown?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by babuski Click here to enlarge
    What setup did you run when the engine blown?
    FFTEC single turbo 62mm with meth injection and 22psi. This one was tuned by shiv.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any idea what caused it or got a link to previous thread?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hausofboost Click here to enlarge
    FFTEC single turbo 62mm with meth injection and 22psi. This one was tuned by shiv.
    What type of advance were you targeting?

That piston is pretty blown up. More than your typical blown ringland.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What cylinder number is that (looks like 6)? Please describe your tune parameters at max power (AFR, timing, boost) and situation where it failed.

Thanks for posing this!
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    And that ladies and gentleman is called extreme detonation. It either went suddenly very lean, or was running too much timing, either one will do that in a split second if its bad enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    huh... haven't heard from shiv in along time...
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you call that an engine failure? PSSSHHH

Go to hardcore50.com and watch what happens to domestic engine when boosted. German engines tend to tolerate failures much more handsomely. I remember seeing fords, chevys engine blocks literally $#@! their brains out. What you would see in the oil pan is 100 lbs of metal shards the size of golfballs. Pieces of piston, main caps, bent and broken rods, pieces of crank, peices of turbo, all kinds of insane $#@!.

Anyway, this N54 looks like it got hot and piston wanted to sieze, looks like the ring lands got hot and badly warped then broke off when trying to expand in the bore. You can still see the crosshatch on the cylinder which means the engine stopped rotating very shortly after the actual failure event. Another testament to the awesomeness of stock BMW engines.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    you call that an engine failure? PSSSHHH

Go to hardcore50.com and watch what happens to domestic engine when boosted. German engines tend to tolerate failures much more handsomely. I remember seeing fords, chevys engine blocks literally $#@! their brains out. What you would see in the oil pan is 100 lbs of metal shards the size of golfballs. Pieces of piston, main caps, bent and broken rods, pieces of crank, peices of turbo, all kinds of insane $#@!.

Anyway, this N54 looks like it got hot and piston wanted to sieze, looks like the ring lands got hot and badly warped then broke off when trying to expand in the bore. You can still see the crosshatch on the cylinder which means the engine stopped rotating very shortly after the actual failure event. Another testament to the awesomeness of stock BMW engines.
    Second blown up motor i get my hands on... gonna post it in individual thread. yeah this one sneezed pretty bad. rod bouncing around, oil pan exploded. customer did NOT bottom out lol

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whoa.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Shiv tuned that one too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by babuski Click here to enlarge
    Shiv tuned that one too?
    nope this one was running an old tune, jb4 and cobb backend flash. Rbs and conservatively tuned. gonna tear it down tomo and hopefully start a new thread.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    first one looks like $#@!ty fuel distribution ie: meth related failure. Thats what you get when you rely on a home garden irrigation system to fuel a car engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    nope this one was running an old tune, jb4 and cobb backend flash. Rbs and conservatively tuned. gonna tear it down tomo and hopefully start a new thread.
    That's pretty scary seeing as it's running only RBs and conservatively tuned with tuning options that many of us are running... Any idea what went wrong? Was it running meth?
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    Any idea what went wrong?
    Also curious! would like to know how it crapped itself so badly.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dietcoke Click here to enlarge
    first one looks like $#@!ty fuel distribution ie: meth related failure. Thats what you get when you rely on a home garden irrigation system to fuel a car engine.
    This is just speculation. It is detonation related but ylj can't blame meth. I've broken ring lands just like that several times on a Subaru and it wasn't running meth at all. It also didn't happen immediately, but cracked over time them breaks (and still was drivable!).

Let's let him post the facts.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Shiv says:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    damn! This $#@! just got real....
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With all the large turbo kits hitting the market now and these engines getting older, I think 2014 will be the year of the rebuild. We have a new FFTEC shortblock (finally) going in our E92 shortly. After that we'll tear it down and see what's broken. It runs/drives fine, but has a loss of compression in one hole, and smokes on deceleration.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    With all the large turbo kits hitting the market now and these engines getting older, I think 2014 will be the year of the rebuild. We have a new FFTEC shortblock (finally) going in our E92 shortly. After that we'll tear it down and see what's broken. It runs/drives fine, but has a loss of compression in one hole, and smokes on deceleration.
    yea,.. ill be building one as soon as i swap the trans. mines been fine so far but on 29plus psi who knows for how long lol
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    yea,.. ill be building one as soon as i swap the trans. mines been fine so far but on 29plus psi who knows for how long lol
    It's the e85 and meth properties. Keeps everything super cool and literally no detonation with the high ass octane.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    It's the e85 and meth properties. Keeps everything super cool and literally no detonation with the high ass octane.
    We ran around 30 psi no meth, on some $#@!ty 91 and race gas blend we didn't even measure and made 673, motor was fine, it has more to do with the tuner being careful than the fuel you run, you can run the best fuel and still blow up your motor if the tuner is pushing too hard. Let alone the fact of pushing over 550WHP and looking at ONE cylinder, big recipe for disaster, I honestly have never seen cylinder 1 correct, it will be sitting ay 0 and #5 or #6 will be pulling 10 degrees of correction, if you are on a piggy and only seeing #1 , you think everything is fine, keep adding boost and timing, by the time you might see a correction on #1 you already blew the ring lands out of #5 or #6 . This is a knock on anyone, just a fact that seeing 1/6th of what is going on with your motor at very high power levels is not a very good idea.

Whoops...Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 05-26-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    We ran around 30 psi no meth, on some $#@!ty 91 and race gas blend we didn't even measure and made 673, motor was fine, it has more to do with the tuner being careful than the fuel you run, you can run the best fuel and still blow up your motor if the tuner is pushing too hard. Let alone the fact of pushing over 550WHP and looking at ONE cylinder, big recipe for disaster, I honestly have never seen cylinder 1 correct, it will be sitting ay 0 and #5 or #6 will be pulling 10 degrees of correction, if you are on a piggy and only seeing #1 , you think everything is fine, keep adding boost and timing, by the time you might see a correction on #1 you already blew the ring lands out of #5 or #6 . This is a knock on anyone, just a fact that seeing 1/6th of what is going on with your motor at very high power levels is not a very good idea.

Whoops...Click here to enlarge
    I will totally agree with you here on this one. The chances though of a cylinder being off by that much isn't likely though unless something happens which we will never know until we get them monitored. It would be cool if you can switch off the cylinder # that the JB4 is looking into, so even if I'm going to log 6 times, at least I know all cylinders are doing something remotely on the same page. I really like the JB4 and i really can't see me switching any tuners anytime soon. For now though, I believe I'm one of the lower hp ST cars on the streets.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

has ptf been able to tune out automatics flat lining issue to atleast recover to 5-6 degrees? If so, its seemingly the best option for high hp for the reasons stated above.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast