Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    do you have prospective price?

Cp pistons aren't normally particularly cheap :p

isn't the s54 1.54 r/s? Thats not much Better lol. 2.xx mm can't change the ratio THAT much either? :/
    It's fairly expensive, at least for an old domestic guy like me who is used to paying $900 for a set of pistons. For the N54 its around 4k for the custom pistons, rods, and rings. I sort of want to get a ported head on the car, but at the same time I'm tired of waiting, so I'll probably just have them slap it together with the bottom end and keep the OEM head for now.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So, do we see a low 5 second 60-130 in Terry's near future ?
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    So, do we see a low 5 second 60-130 in Terry's near future ?
    The built engine is going on our E92, which has a track record of running slow 60-130 times for its power levels. I'd be thrilled to get a 5.9 out of it though.

The 135i engine I'll leave stock for now until it blows up or we get bored. I think it can run a 5.9s with full interior and the cutout opened up. When I get some track time some day I'll test the theory out. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Glad to see you back in business and kicking major butt mate

Click here to enlarge
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's fairly expensive, at least for an old domestic guy like me who is used to paying $900 for a set of pistons. For the N54 its around 4k for the custom pistons, rods, and rings. I sort of want to get a ported head on the car, but at the same time I'm tired of waiting, so I'll probably just have them slap it together with the bottom end and keep the OEM head for now.
    ouch. bit too expensive for me for these for sure haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know about the N54 rods. Really I've seen stuff all over the place regarding the internals but even if the rods are forged the stroke isn't too rev friendly on the associated internals.

But aftermarket rods are stronger so who knows. Somebody has to try it.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I believe rods and crank are forged.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Stock N54 rods and crank are forged and the pistons are cast. Having a very beefy bottom end won't save your engine from a $#@!ty tune or a sudden lean out, so keep that in mind.

Even with a bad ass rotating assembly and a killer valve train there eventually will be fueling window limitation that will cap RPMs if using a purely DI setup. Whether it's a realistic RPM range to worry about it or not....
    I've had read a lot of different threads, and it seems the final consensus is billet crank, crack forged rods, and cracked cast pistons (which are actually incredibly strong). Also seen comparisons of internals to a 2jz and a 4g63. The N54 stacked up quite well in just a visual comparison to both, and it seemed if anything the N54 parts were a bit beefier than either. Especially pistons over the 2jz which I believe is that stock motor's weak point.

Anyway, @Sticky wasn't there a long detailed thread about an ideal rebuild and it was not to lengthen rods? I'm a bit out of my realm here, but I remember a really good thread about it on here and it seemed because of the already high velocity the rods reach now? And lengthening the rods would only increase this speed? I guess I don't really understand how R:S ratio affects the motor's performance and how that really works, but very interested to learn
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I've had read a lot of different threads, and it seems the final consensus is billet crank, crack forged rods, and cracked cast pistons (which are actually incredibly strong). Also seen comparisons of internals to a 2jz and a 4g63. The N54 stacked up quite well in just a visual comparison to both, and it seemed if anything the N54 parts were a bit beefier than either. Especially pistons over the 2jz which I believe is that stock motor's weak point.

Anyway, @Sticky wasn't there a long detailed thread about an ideal rebuild and it was not to lengthen rods? I'm a bit out of my realm here, but I remember a really good thread about it on here and it seemed because of the already high velocity the rods reach now? And lengthening the rods would only increase this speed? I guess I don't really understand how R:S ratio affects the motor's performance and how that really works, but very interested to learn
    There was a thread covering what you are talking about but I can't seem to find it. And yes, it was a very good thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I don't remember that thread, would be interesting if can be found

i thought the idea of the long rod was to reduce peak piston acceleration, as well as reduce wall loading?..

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod%20Length.htm

Long Rod is faster at BDC range and slower at TDC range.

so peak acceleration is lower, but average/speed is the same. less stress.

a length change of 2-1/2% is necessary to perceive a change was made. For R & D purposes it appears a 5% change should be made.

so with rod centre to centre at 145.05mm, less than 3.6mm may not be real world discernible.

ED: LOL

>
    Any ratio's exceeding these boundaries are at this moment labeled "design screw-ups" and not worth considering until valid data supports it.

N54 is what. 1.51:1? Click here to enlarge.. heck, 1.5 is pretty standard ratio... bit odd for the article to say that.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

cracked cast pistons
    I have never heard of this and a quick search turned up nothing.

Care to explain? Picture maybe? Where is the crack?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AlexQuattro Click here to enlarge

No idea, I just know they're cast but it's not your average cheap casting method. Hyperpeutic maybe?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

No idea, I just know they're cast but it's not your average cheap casting method. Hyperpeutic maybe?
    Others have confirmed they are Hypereutechtic...Based on the markings on the pistons..It was discussed on E90 in a thread when Shiv tore apart the block...I think you might've read that prior to your post as well since you mentioned the comparisons to the 4G63 engines
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Others have confirmed they are Hypereutechtic...Based on the markings on the pistons..It was discussed on E90 in a thread when Shiv tore apart the block...I think you might've read that prior to your post as well since you mentioned the comparisons to the 4G63 engines
    Couldn't remember if it was mentioned then, but that rings a bell. I know it's been mentioned other times including a thread on here as well.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Is this the thread we're all looking for?

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...Sleeving-a-N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AlexQuattro Click here to enlarge

i don't think you get cracked pistons?

you get cracked rods though.

pretty sure pistons were confirmed hypereutetic
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Stock ratio is only 1.506.
    How does a 145mm rod on a 89.6mm stroke = 1.506 r2s ratio?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    Wow that's a very crappy factory r/s ratio.
    Honda must have missed that memo. We spin gsr's to 11.5k all day long.
    Last edited by andy_divers; 06-04-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy_divers Click here to enlarge

Honda must have missed that memo. We spin gsr's to 11.5k all day long.
    huh, so it's 1.61 R:S... that's not bad?

better than the S54?... S54 is 1.53 as far as i can tell
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

AFAIK N54 rod is 135mm, N55 rod is 145mm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    it just so happens that (sadly) the N54 was dropped out of my car today and dismantled to find two spun crank bearings. Since it's all taken apart I'm exploring upgraded internals... would you mind sending a message with prices and options? Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by driver_02 Click here to enlarge
    it just so happens that (sadly) the N54 was dropped out of my car today and dismantled to find two spun crank bearings. Since it's all taken apart I'm exploring upgraded internals... would you mind sending a message with prices and options? Thanks!
    Who are you looking to get internals from @driver_02?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

You have a PM!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    AFAIK N54 rod is 135mm, N55 rod is 145mm
    http://www.arrowprecision.com/connec...w-n54-b30.html

says 145

http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ng-a-N54/page2

discusses it as being 145

135mm would make it 1.506 though.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...flow-etc/page3

that thread discusses it as 135.

so far i've got more info saying it's 145... anyone with a set handy to measure willing to chip in?.. confirming it's 145 sorta ends the argument that N54 rods are 'too short' lol.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

I have a n54 rod in my hand... its 145.XXmm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Who are you looking to get internals from @driver_02?
    MikeB@fftec was quick on the draw. He's already provided some good data, but I'm open to suggestions from any vendor/tuner/individual. I'm still in the decisional phase, balancing price/power/longevity to meet my needs. I love my car and I intend to drive it for a long time. I want this build to prolong that joy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

MikeB@fftec was quick on the draw. He's already provided some good data, but I'm open to suggestions from any vendor/tuner/individual. I'm still in the decisional phase, balancing price/power/longevity to meet my needs. I love my car and I intend to drive it for a long time. I want this build to prolong that joy.
    That's how you make money. Leverage the forum.

Many vendors sit around thinking business will just flood in. You have to earn it sometimes. Smart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I have a n54 rod in my hand... its 145.XXmm
    centre to centre?

well that settles it i guess Click here to enlarge
    boop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12