Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

VAC Motorsports Stage 3 N54 ported cylinder head dyno with aftermarket single turbo

The N54 cylinder head is not exactly what one would call BMW's best work and it was never designed with top end power in mind. There is room for improvement in breathing up top and this is a large benefit for N54 owners who switch to a larger turbo such as an aftermarket single turbo conversion. This particular N54 motor has such a single turbo setup and as you can see it benefits up top greatly from the VAC Stage 3 cylinder head.

Now, there is a bit of a trade off in torque down low. From 3000 to roughly 5252 rpm where torque and horsepower intersect on the graph the stock head has an advantage. Past 5000 rpm though the ported cylinder head shows torque gains and a flatter curve not dropping off nearly as hard as the OEM design. It breathes much better up to and past the stock redline showing over 600 horsepower on the dyno.

This is definitely a modification for top end horsepower but that is generally an area of weakness on the N54. Plus, if going for all out performance the RPM drop after each shift at redline is not going to have one sitting at low RPM anyway. This cylinder head will shine with a single turbo in a roll on race.

No word on pricing but it is nice to finally see some data from VAC on their N54 cylinder head work.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

awesome! finally some numbers from VAC

would be good if there were actually flow bench numbers, but this is a start lol.

might be nice if they ran the stock head to 7k though... it's obviously not BADLY dropping off. IMO it's a slightly dishonest way of making the stage 3 head appear better than it really is (which is plenty still) imo.... Blue peak to red at the same point looks like.. 40whp to me?.. if they'd carried blue through as well, it might even be 60 odd, with how much it's tapering.

ED:... wtf.. what's with the dyno model? carolina? i have no idea how to relate these results then.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    awesome! finally some numbers from VAC

would be good if there were actually flow bench numbers, but this is a start lol.

might be nice if they ran the stock head to 7k though... it's obviously not BADLY dropping off. IMO it's a slightly dishonest way of making the stage 3 head appear better than it really is (which is plenty still) imo.... Blue peak to red at the same point looks like.. 40whp to me?.. if they'd carried blue through as well, it might even be 60 odd, with how much it's tapering.

ED:... wtf.. what's with the dyno model? carolina? i have no idea how to relate these results then.
    Its an engine dyno dude.

That head is definitely breathing a lot better up top. On top of better numbers in the higher rev range, you can also see it made those numbers with slightly less boost. Very nice indeed!
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Good stuff! Any info on the single turbo set-up?

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    Good stuff! Any info on the single turbo set-up?

Neil
    I'm going to assume it was the same one VAC posted about previously -

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

So, am I looking at this right? 100bhp gain from just the ported heads? I would think this would help spool, but am I wrong in thinking this?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm going to assume it was the same one VAC posted about previously -
    That'd make sense! Thanks.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    So, am I looking at this right? 100bhp gain from just the ported heads? I would think this would help spool, but am I wrong in thinking this?
    Yes. Stock head is designed to spool a turbo as fast as possible, which is why it is restrictive at higher RPM's. Generally speaking, anything you do to make your engine breathe better up top is going to increase lag down low.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Its an engine dyno dude.

That head is definitely breathing a lot better up top. On top of better numbers in the higher rev range, you can also see it made those numbers with slightly less boost. Very nice indeed!
    that was my first thought.. then i googled it and it showed a chassis dyno.

ahh right, if you just search 'superflow' there it is... makes me wonder why the numbers are so low now though. very VERY mild tune? haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    looks more like 40-60.. at the stock head peak, it's a 40hp difference.. but i assume it'd flatten even more by 7k, so my guess would be MAYBE 60 there.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The turbos are making less boost because what most people do not understand is, boost is just a measurement of restriction, boost is the air that isn't getting into and through the motor, you don't touch wastegate settings, put a better flowing head on it, and its going to make less boost but more power because more air is actually being used buy the motor not building up in the intake manifold. A nicely ported cylinder head will become standard for N54 builds in the not so distant future, its cool to see some data for the VAC head.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 11.4 ET / 123MPH(AT) - 11.7ET / 122.7MPH(MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 681WHP / 658WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The turbos are making less boost because what most people do not understand is, boost is just a measurement of restriction, boost is the air that isn't getting into and through the motor, you don't touch wastegate settings, put a better flowing head on it, and its going to make less boost but more power because more air is actually being used buy the motor not building up in the intake manifold. A nicely ported cylinder head will become standard for N54 builds in the not so distant future, its cool to see some data for the VAC head.
    Exactly. Boost is a dumb measurement airflow is what matters. Is there any flowbench numbers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Don’t think proper flow bench figures are out, but the gains and curve changes seem sensible and in line with what we know about the stock head design. Whenever I see these types of curves up top…bums me out we can’t rev this thing another 500 RPMs.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

So is the turbo from the graphs the same as in the vid? Holset HX40? That's a diesel truck turbo haha, very cheap and popular w/ the DSM crowd. Spooling it by 3500rpm on an engine dyno isn't bad at all, it would spool much faster on the street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Some more info from the testing that was done:
    -Testing was done on a Superflow chassis dyno with SAE correction factor in 3rd gear for both before and after head install runs
    -Before dyno graph was pulled to 6750 ish rpms simply because the stock head doesnt make much more power above that
    -Custom single turbo setup using Garrett 3586gtx turbo 21-22 psi in upper rpms
    -93 pump gas very mild tune for road racing reliability
    -peak WHP difference was 553 before vs 603 after
    -Bottom graph line is boost pressure measured in kpa with full spool at 3400-3500 rpms
    -only changes made to tune was changes in wgdc to bring boost to similar for before dyno runs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dperf Click here to enlarge
    -Testing was done on a Superflow chassis dyno with SAE correction factor in 3rd gear for both before and after head install runs
    -Before dyno graph was pulled to 6750 ish rpms simply because the stock head doesnt make much more power above that
    -Bottom graph line is boost pressure measured in kpa with full spool at 3400-3500 rpms
    -only changes made to tune was changes in wgdc to bring boost to similar for before dyno runs
    This is great info, thanks!
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 11.4 ET / 123MPH(AT) - 11.7ET / 122.7MPH(MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 681WHP / 658WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    533 Post(s)

I like what I see here. Almost no bottom end loss and lots of top end gain.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Holset turbo on a BMW. OMG people are going to lose their minds LOL. Damn that thing spools fast for a 600HP turbo!!!
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: For Sale

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

I wonder if it can rev out past 7200? What kind of springs/retainers are being used on the Stage 3 head?
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: For Sale

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Everyone understands WHP, WTQ and a power curve.

This is an independent result that has both us and the client pretty happy :-) I have been off the forums for a bit, but I will post a complete thread soon.

Details on the head here:
    http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...n54-p1819.aspx

The Holset video has nothing to do with this dyno sheet :-) This post answers most questions:

-Testing was done on a Superflow chassis dyno with SAE correction factor in 3rd gear for both before and after head install runs. These dynos run 5-10% lower than Dynojet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

How do you know this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    I have been off the forums for a bit, but I will post a complete thread soon.
    Feel free to e-mail me any data you have...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    Everyone understands WHP, WTQ and a power curve.

This is an independent result that has both us and the client pretty happy :-) I have been off the forums for a bit, but I will post a complete thread soon.

Details on the head here:
    http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...n54-p1819.aspx

The Holset video has nothing to do with this dyno sheet :-) This post answers most questions:
    why just don't port the stock head? 4k $ is a lot

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    why just don't port the stock head? 4k $ is a lot
    They do. You will have to send your stock head in I'm guessing in exchange.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I like what I see here. Almost no bottom end loss and lots of top end gain.
    so it's possible to hit 700rwhp with the 5862 without lag Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast