Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Oil leak on Front turbo - Oil feed line gasket?

Hey guys I am looking for some help if possible...Maybe from someone who has good experience with stock turbos installs/uninstalls such as @VargasTurboTech or @robc1976 (I stole some pics from you by the way)

Background Info: I have noticed a slight oil consumption for a bit now and I thought it might be oil filter gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket or the rear seal...I have already done the oil filter gasket and valve cover gasket but holding off on the oil pan gasket until I can determine if the leak is from somewhere else...Also the rear seal I wanted to save until I do a clutch swap which should be soon...

The issue: Today I pulled the downpipes off my car...And noticed the front turbo has oil coking on it near the clamp that I have highlighted in the picture attached...It is burned on there pretty good and everywhere within that area has collections of oil around all the way back to the transmission...My guess is one of the oil feed lines or the oil feed line gasket.......I havent pulled anything past the downpipes off...

My question is this...If I were to buy a new oil line gasket at the dealership tomorrow, how difficult is the gasket to change without removing anything else but downpipes which are already off? I am hoping its a relatively simple and easy to reach fix, but it seems like everything on this car is more difficult than what meets the eye...I want to take off as least as possible to attempt fixing the problem so thats why I am reaching out for some help...Also I have heard of an oil dye to make it easier to determine leaks, would that be a good idea to help me track down the leak before moving forward? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds and can give me some advice...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Are you talking about replacing feed or drain?

Drain is pretty dang easy, we just did both sets yesterday.

the feed? your taking the turbos off to replace it.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Are you talking about replacing feed or drain?

Drain is pretty dang easy, we just did both sets yesterday.

the feed? your taking the turbos off to replace it.
    I guess I'm not sure at the moment...About to get under the car again in a bit and might just do the drain and hope it fixes my problem..wanna get it up and running for Bimmerfest tomorrow morning lol
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like it might be the feed since its coming from the top....Let me know what your thoughts are @alex@ABRhouston
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Did you check the shaft play with the downpipes off? It may be the turbine seal leaking and running out where the chra and exhaust house mate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Did you check the shaft play with the downpipes off? It may be the turbine seal leaking and running out where the chra and exhaust house mate.
    Thanks for the suggestion....Ill check it out right now

Would turbine shaft play affect any boost or ability for the turbos to make power? Car feels fine driving, havent noticed any issues in feel really besides the obvious visual clues I posted earlier

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No shaft play on either of the turbos...They look good in that regard

Im gonna put everything back together for now so I can make it to Bimmerfest...Order some of that oil dye and go from there

Thanks for the all help...If anyone has other suggestions they are always appreciated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just make sure to check the play in and out not just up and down. I had no boost issues but they were pretty warn when I pulled mine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Make sure you wash it off good and look again, we have seen more than one car leak from the oil cooler housing up front and with the wind, G forces, and gravity, it leaks down and blow all the way back on top of the turbos. Just something to think about as a possibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Just make sure to check the play in and out not just up and down. I had no boost issues but they were pretty warn when I pulled mine.
    In and out was fine as well...Kinda surprised I almost expected some issues with the turbos by this mileage

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Make sure you wash it off good and look again, we have seen more than one car leak from the oil cooler housing up front and with the wind, G forces, and gravity, it leaks down and blow all the way back on top of the turbos. Just something to think about as a possibility.
    Thanks for the reponse @VargasTurboTech I appreciate the help from a turbo guru who has plenty of hands on experience...I have noticed ever since I had the oil filter gasket leak that wind, gravity, and the radiator fan play a huge role in spreading the oil leaks and make it harder to determine where the leak is coming from...Im heading to Bimmerfest tomorrow so gave it a quick cleanup today...but over the weekend after Bimmerfest I will be doing a thorough cleanup and eventually adding the dye into the oil to help further diagnose the issue...Im hoping its from somewhere else but either way taking the steps to diagnose it will help me before throwing more time and money at it...Thanks again Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe it's time for a single turbo Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought I had a leaky turbo. Ended up being the rear main seal. What a mess. Hope you get it figured out.
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am having the same issue, PLEASE HELP. Did you figure it out??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ended up throwing in a new set of OEM turbos with all new gaskets, seals, O-rings etc. Also had OFHG, Oil Cooler Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket, and Rear Main seal done over the past 2 years. Oiling issues has subsided for some time but keep in mind I had leaks from various places over various times. The Oil issues from the OP was obviously cured when I replaced the Turbos from other issues (after this thread) and put in the new gaskets, seals, O-rings etc. I know its not much help but start with the known leaks (above), then Turbo O-rings and seals for Oil lines, Reanalyze and then go from there. Hope that helps!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We will resruface the oil drain line connection with the turbo to make it even so metal seal doesn't leak. this will be our final trial, if it doesn't fix I don't know what to do. My hope it is not turbos becasue front and rear turbo is leaking from same spot so it might not be the turbos. We are hoping it is the seal doesn't sit in its place , we also checked all other leaks from front of the car but there is none.