Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

BMS Flash with BimmerBoost Software Questions (2007, of course)

I'm planning on doing the BMS backend flash on my 07 335i tomorrow with the BimmerBoost software and the BT cable. I've been researching on the forums all day but I still had a couple questions.

First off, it seems pretty well known that if the "READ ECU" process takes longer than about 70 minutes, there is a compatibility issue with the laptop being used and the write process will likely fail. If I start the read ecu process and the BB software estimates a longer-than-normal time, can I cancel/close out the program without causing issues? Or do I need to wait for the read process to finish? I don't want to have to wait 2 to 3 hours to try a different laptop.

On a related note, do all systems with AMD processors work, or is it limited to older AMD processors? I know most intels don't seem to work.

I appreciate any input!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Ok, having an 07 and the 08 from hell, here is my take-

1) depending on circumstances, it usually will take between 1 and 1.5 hours to read. Make sure you have a decent charger. If anything less than about 30 amps pull the fuel pump fuse and you should be fine.

2- make sure to adjust the power settings on your computer so it doesnt sleep.

3- don't close the door during the process as at least in the case of my 08 that shut off the ignition

4- if read time is within the 1 to 2 hour range I would assume that everything is ok. If it takes longer it should be fine to abort the read process.

5- based on my experience with different computers, most amd computers work fine. It is always good to have multiples on hand just in case

6 and most important - no matter what don't panic and stay calm. If you aren't a computer guy its easy to freak out if you hit a roadblock. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and don't do it for example, if you have no other means of transportation and have work in 3 hours. Everything will be fine...

7- for whatever reason, the v1.2 BB flash seems to work better for me than the one on here. Download it from Terrys thread over on n54tech. You will need to install this one first to load the drivers from the BT cable

That being said, if the read seems to go fine then the write most likely will. I have had writes take as long as 30 minutes so again don't panic. Let it do its thing and if it fails try going to advanced under the "write ecu" screen and do a forced write. This will often sort the problem. Sometimes I have a failed write, but this usually takes care of it

Make sure you flash the correct software, most likely i8a0s for your vehicle

Lastly, good luck. Everything will probably go smoothly but in the event it doesnt there are some good people on here that can help you out and after a few times flashing you'll be a pro

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I appreciate the pointers! I'll post back here with my (hopefully good) results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    You will need to install this one first to load the drivers from the BT cable.
    Which one first, Terry's?
    Last edited by martial@mhd; 05-15-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I recommend you get on BMS forum and get their tweak vesion of BB flash software. I never have any issue with their version. I used it on pretty much every window version and processor without any issue. Just follow the instruction and you'll be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Download the one on here (non tweaked version) and install before the BMS version. This one has the cable drivers you will need

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just an update.. The first computer I tried (newer windows 7 system with a decent AMD processor) did not work. The read time was estimated at 200+ minutes, at that point, i just cancelled it. I then tried an old slow windows vista laptop with an AMD processor and it worked flawlessly. I can't wait to do some logging. I appreciate everyone's input, it was helpful.

Does anyone know if I'll need to flash back to stock to get through emissions? I'm in Maryland and they hook up through the OBDII port and check for readiness and any codes. If I do need to flash back to stock, is it the same process as writing the BMS flash? Do I just write the .org file that BB created when I did the "read ECU"?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I am not sure if your state is the same as ny but here you only need 6 of 7 readiness groups passed in order to pass obd2 inspection. Worst case you can try asking an inspection shop first. Just say you had to replace an o2 sensor and haven't had much time to drive, do all the monitors need to be cleared?