Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Just swapped plugs...What do we think of the old ones?

Click here to enlarge

Probably the least exciting thread of all time, but whatever. Swapped OEM plugs for NGKs this week, OEM plugs had about 6K on them, saw nothing but E30 and meth for the duration of the time. Just curious if you guys see anything here that is notable, with the understanding that you can only glean so much from a picture of spark plugs.

Cyl 1 (farthest to left) has some fouling it looks like, but that cyl is quiet as a mouse in logs. The car misfired/limped a grand total of zero times in the time I had these plugs in.

Oil on the threads is due to some oil I accidentally spilled on the engine cover’s foam stuff. It soaked in pretty good, so when it gets hot the oil “spills” out of it. So I’m not worried about that, VCG was replaced about 5K miles ago.

Have at it and thanks in advance.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty much what mine looked like when I swapped them. Any crazy wear on the electrodes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    out of curiosity why bother swapping plugs if you aren't misfiring?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Pretty much what mine looked like when I swapped them. Any crazy wear on the electrodes?
    Nope, if it weren’t for that bit of fouling on the cyl 1 business end, I would be totally comfortable with how the plugs looked. All the electrodes and prongs looked normal to me, not abnormal degradation or increased gap. I just wanted to see if anyone felt the Cyl 1 plug was a “holy crap you need to check that now” type deal. Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    out of curiosity why bother swapping plugs if you aren't misfiring?
    100% honest answer
    1. Boredom. Was a nice day out and I wanted to work on the car, but didn’t have more than an hour or so.
    2. Wanted to see what the NGK plugs were all about, and if there was any appreciable difference that showed up in logs. There wasn’t, no question in my mind these plugs would be good for another 5-10K.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Probably the least exciting thread of all time
    I think we could all use a little less excitement.

A higher res photo would definitely help for analysis though.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks slightly rich, about right. Do you have been pics of the center electrodes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    Looks slightly rich, about right. Do you have been pics of the center electrodes?
    That would make sense, these plugs saw OTS Cobb E30 mapping, which IMO targets relatively rich and conservative.

I didn’t take close ups of the electrodes, sorry. But I did look them over closely, and saw no obvious signs of poor spark, degradation, detonation, etc etc. Wear looked uniform and normal, the prongs looked normal as well.
    Click here to enlarge