Close

Thread: IJE0S map problem. Car won't start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

IJE0S map problem. Car won't start.

Hi Guys,

Iíve had a rather stressful night trying to make sense of why my car will crank but not start with only very basic changes to the BIN. Flashing the stock bin fixed the problem straight away.

I have an Australian delivered 2009 335i AT with IJE0S firmware. I used a battery charger on the car and had the laptop charger plugged in for all reads and writes. There were no errors during any reads or writes and the read took the expected 70 minutes and the write took around 13 minutes. Everything went perfectly according to the BBFlash software. I removed the key and re-inserted it and the car had DSC Failure, TPMS failure and a couple of other errors from memory. According to the BBFlash instructions, some initial SES errors are to be expected. I tried starting it and it just cranked for at least 20 seconds until I stopped it. I then locked the car and left it for 15 minutes and tried again. Still crank but no start. Repeated a third time and still only cranking. I then did a map only flash of the original BIN and everything worked perfectly.

Iím no expert on these ECUs but my suspicion is that maybe the Australian delivered car has different firmware and therefore the XDF needs to be different or can there only be one type or IJE0S? The IJE0S XDF on this page: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563 does not have all the VANOS maps last time I checked so I used Wedge's extended scalar XDF as posted to the downloads section.

I have attached a zip containing my original bin, my modified BIN, the log of which tables I changed and the XDF I used. Can anyone look over the attached files and see if you can find whatís wrong? @Terry@BMS @V8Bait

Thanks so much in advance!

Bradbrad-ije0s.zip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bump. I won't be able to sleep till I work it out. Wedge has an autoreply saying that he has a large backlog of emails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had the same issues mate, and im from AU also...

Flash back to stock, and move to a Cobb!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I'd love to help but have board tests Friday, kinda limited on the time I can spend until the weekend, which is also pretty booked but I should be able to check it out then. I'd suggest staying stock until then, or transferring tables into your bin slowly and hitting the main ones first if they look accurately defined... don't change the afr table if it doesn't look like a normal afr table kinda thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

BB flash and Australian IJEOS with DCT's don't like each other. Been there done that. Get a COBB AP to load the backend flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All the tables looked completely normal with expected values. I'm gonna try without disabling the Tq Safety Path functions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BB flash and Australian IJEOS with DCT's don't like each other. Been there done that. Get a COBB AP to load the backend flash.
    I have a normal 6 speed Auto

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Update: This time I tried only modifying the following tables:

Fuel (Bank 1)
    Fuel (Bank 2)
    Ignition Timing (Main)
    Torque Max (Index Array)
    Requested Torque Limit (Driver)
    Torque Limit Offset A
    Torque Monitor Ceiling
    Boost Limit Multiplier
    Load Limit Factor
    VANOS Intake (Moving) Warm
    VANOS Exhaust (Moving) Warm
    Load Target 1
    Load Target 2

Nothing is drastically changed and most stuff is between stock and most people's "stage 1" maps. EVERY table had 100% legitimate expected values so the XDF seems correct (tried the one from BMS this time).

The problem is EXACTLY the same. The Bavarian Technic software shows that 30BA and 30BB (Both DME internal failure) errors exist.

The only other thing I can think of is that having Comfort Access with a MSD81 does not power off whatever usually gets powered off when the ignition is turned off normally after a flash. Do my symptoms match what happens if somebody flashes the car then tries to start it straight away?

What happens on these cars when the battery gets disconnected? Am I risking anything by disconnecting the battery to see if the problem goes away? I'm scared that somehow I won't get write access to the ECU after disconnecting the battery with a bad flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just take the original bin that works for you (the car starts with it) and you modify only fuel tables and timing tables. No vanos, no torque and no limit maps modified (stock maps). And see if the car starts.
    E90 335i 6MT
    JB4 G5
    FBO + Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yep my next thing is to do exactly that and slowly add tables. It's just frustrating because I'm sure the ECU is only capable of so many writes (I know it's probably in the thousands) and also I'm wearing out the starter motor during these 4x 10 second cranks with each try. I'd like to avoid this if somebody (who i'd be happy to pay) who really knows how these DMEs work could look over my bin and try and get to the bottom of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

my car is 07 AT had the same issue, even with successfully write for stock, custom or caned files i had the same issue until one day simply its just work..dont know why or how Click here to enlarge. Maybe this will work for you use force write with stock files also try different computers. if all attempts fail just use INPA cable to flash ECU back to factory setting using WINKFP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can write the original map at any time and the car runs as normal. I am tempted to use Winkfp to update the DME if there is an update available.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

In your place I would be very curious to find out which map makes the car not to start.
    E90 335i 6MT
    JB4 G5
    FBO + Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Update:

All is good. The table change causing the car to not start is either "Requested Torque Limit (Driver)" or "Torque Monitor Ceiling", neither of which will be a problem leaving stock after further research. Although the Cobb documentation says to raise both and the stock 1M and 335is maps have higher values in one of them, I noticed that the stage 1 tunes getting around also leave these tables stock.

The last thing which I don't think will work but don't need yet is the cat conversion detection toggles. The default "on" values using a normal IJE0S XDF are not the same as the "on" values of an US car. I noticed that @_ink also has these same values as me. I ssupect that trying to disable these using a normal IJE0S XDF may not work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The difference in value is probably due to the difference in emissions laws between countries. I would interpret 0=OFF and anything else is a threshold. Just a guess though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's the Torque Monitor Ceiling. I've had the same problem in the past and came to the same conclusion. I've had to leave those values at the stock 335is values to get the car to not throw codes after flashing.

I've seen higher values than stock on other vendor ROMs, but there must be other changes that need to be made in the ROM to support it. Haven't had a chance to correlate them yet, but the stock values are high enough. I'm able to run 17PSI of boost out to 6000RPM and still not hit my stock ceiling values. (Not that I run that normally.)