Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Just Ordered my PTF Protune

Click here to enlarge

Early Father's Day present to myself Click here to enlarge I won't be putting down numbers like aflatau (damn!), but I'm excited nonetheless.

:happydance:

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Maybe not...but you'll get the most out of what you have now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    Maybe not...but you'll get the most out of what you have now Click here to enlarge
    Thanks man. And thanks for your engineering work on the LPFP - someday I hope to need one Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Enjoy, i'm very pleased with my PTF tune and i consider myself picky (mainly because I know enough about tuning to get myself into trouble). I immediately noticed a huge difference in the driving characteristics of the tune, definitely for the better.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Richpike,

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a PTF tune as well. I can't tell from your sig. What mods do you have besides the Alpina flash and BMW drop in? I am bone stock. Dzenno said way back the delta would be 20-50hp over OTS Cobb maps for my car. Not sure about torque gains. Seems definitely worth it as everyone says driveability/smoothness improves as well.

PTF seems to really know their stuff-enjoy your tune and please give us an update on your results after you get some seat time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    Richpike,

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a PTF tune as well. I can't tell from your sig. What mods do you have besides the Alpina flash and BMW drop in? I am bone stock. Dzenno said way back the delta would be 20-50hp over OTS Cobb maps for my car. Not sure about torque gains. Seems definitely worth it as everyone says driveability/smoothness improves as well.

PTF seems to really know their stuff-enjoy your tune and please give us an update on your results after you get some seat time.
    I'm pretty close to stock - just the Alpina flash and BMS drop-in. I've been running the Cobb Stage 1 drive map, and I've been happy with it, but I was able to jump in on a group buy ($200) at the last second and it was too good to pass up for that price.

I'll definitely write a review when it is complete. I will warn you though - I'm at 6,500ft above sea level, so my outcome will likely not be indicative of what you'll see (I would expect my gains to be less than someone at sea level just based on the fact that my turbos are already working pretty hard).

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

@richpike

Dude, I just finished up with PTF on my etune (in Colorado like you), and I am pretty happy with it. I told Dzenno I'll probably still send him another round of logs after it heats up, but I am done for now with the current set up. With just a DCI I'm pretty happy with it.

I ran my last 5 or 6 logs through Virtual Dyno, and averaged the numbers, and I am in the ballpark of 310HP and 370ft/lbs. Now unless those are way off for some reason, I think that is pretty damn good for being essentially stock.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Rich,

I did not realize there was a group buy going on-would have been the perfect time to jump on this. I am in Ogden, Utah which is about 4700' about sea level sound I know what you're talking about with altitude issues. Sounds like you must be in Colorado Springs? I know that area a bit, it's a nice place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I can tell that an Alpina flash is going to be required, because on WOT shifts the transmission isn't liking the power.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I6+TT=FTW,

Do you know what your hp/tq numbers were before your protune?

Thanks,
    Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    @richpike

Dude, I just finished up with PTF on my etune (in Colorado like you), and I am pretty happy with it. I told Dzenno I'll probably still send him another round of logs after it heats up, but I am done for now with the current set up. With just a DCI I'm pretty happy with it.

I ran my last 5 or 6 logs through Virtual Dyno, and averaged the numbers, and I am in the ballpark of 310HP and 370ft/lbs. Now unless those are way off for some reason, I think that is pretty damn good for being essentially stock.
    I'm thinking about waiting for it to heat up some too - our air is so thin that the stock intercooler really struggles. In general, on the Stage 1 drive map I've been seeing 295HP and 350lbft of torque on the virtual dyno, so I bet I'll end up around your numbers after the pro-tune. I'm still trying to decide between the 7" VRSF intercooler and the new 5" stepped - neither are easily available right now, so I'll have them retune after I get one. Then I'm done. For a while. Or something like that. Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    I can tell that an Alpina flash is going to be required, because on WOT shifts the transmission isn't liking the power.
    I LOVE the Alpina flash. It helped raise my gas mileage too - the "D" mode is pretty nice to make me stay out of it. Highly recommend.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Hi Rich,

I did not realize there was a group buy going on-would have been the perfect time to jump on this. I am in Ogden, Utah which is about 4700' about sea level sound I know what you're talking about with altitude issues. Sounds like you must be in Colorado Springs? I know that area a bit, it's a nice place.
    Yep - I'm in the Springs. It is very nice - we are very fortunate. And good to know on your altitude - I'll definitely post up my experience as it will likely apply nicely to you.

-Rich

Edit: And I got super lucky on the group buy - it was listed in the California section of E90post and I somehow fell upon the thread with just a few hours to go. I tried to post it up more broadly, but there wasn't much time left Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I6+TT=FTW,

Do you know what your hp/tq numbers were before your protune?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Not a clue man, but I would assume an xi baseline at the wheels was like 245-250 hp and 280 or ft/lbs, but i can't be sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking about waiting for it to heat up some too - our air is so thin that the stock intercooler really struggles. In general, on the Stage 1 drive map I've been seeing 295HP and 350lbft of torque on the virtual dyno, so I bet I'll end up around your numbers after the pro-tune. I'm still trying to decide between the 7" VRSF intercooler and the new 5" stepped - neither are easily available right now, so I'll have them retune after I get one. Then I'm done. For a while. Or something like that. Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    I'm thinking the same thing, or even the Wagner fmic... idk. but the stock intercooler seems to hold up fine for one pull haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

You guys need to skip the intercooler and go directly for the good stuff...

Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

You're gonna love the tune Rich. There ended up being 20 people in the group buy lol. Jake, Dz and Nishan are going to have their hands full haha
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    You're gonna love the tune Rich. There ended up being 20 people in the group buy lol. Jake, Dz and Nishan are going to have their hands full haha
    Ha! I know. It would have been a magnitude bigger if it had gotten more visibility Click here to enlarge Maybe I should be happy it didn't, because they are definitely going to be busy (like they didn't already have enough on their plate). But cash flow in a business is always a good thing, so I'm sure they aren't complaining.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You guys need to skip the intercooler and go directly for the good stuff...

Click here to enlarge

ha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Well congrats man. It would be nice to see some before/after numbers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thanks. The ironic thing is I blew my charge pipe off a couple days ago. Getting fixed as we speak. Eventually I'll need to get an upgraded one.
    -Rich