Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

DSC Malfunction and Low Voltage

My DSC unit has been intermittently malfunctioning. I don't remember the codes off hand, but they are the two normally affiliated with a failed DSC pump.

Now, The thing I've noticed is, when my dsc unit malfunctions I usually have a code for low system voltage as well. Usually, goes off around 13.1-13.5v. Usually, if I turn my car on, put the A/C on max, turn the radio on, things that really put load on the alternator my dsc unit will work.

I've recently replaced the battery, coded it and everything, so now I'm thinking that the alternator may be the source of my DSC faults. I know in some vehicles when voltage gets too low they start shutting down unnecessary systems. I'm trying to avoid just throwing money at this thing until it is fixed. What do you guys think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A couple of things that come to mind that I've been through are the alternator and the cable running to battery from the fuse box. When my alternator went bad I got the same thing and in mine the regulator went bad and would overcharge at some points and not charge at all at other times. Same thing occurred when the conn. at the back of fuse box went bad and burnt up. Have you had your cable and fuse box done? There was a recall a while back.Also this would not allow my car to go to sleep and battery would be drained some times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    A couple of things that come to mind that I've been through are the alternator and the cable running to battery from the fuse box. When my alternator went bad I got the same thing and in mine the regulator went bad and would overcharge at some points and not charge at all at other times. Same thing occurred when the conn. at the back of fuse box went bad and burnt up. Have you had your cable and fuse box done? There was a recall a while back.Also this would not allow my car to go to sleep and battery would be drained some times.
    So your DCS unit stopped working as well? Seems like I'm on the right path with the alternator then. I had the battery cable recall done last year when my turbos were replaced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah if you diy or have a indy shop do it price isn't bad. These cars really freak out on voltage. When mine would overcharge I would get all kinds of malfunctions. Fan would ramp up , it would show I was overheating, trans malfunctions you name it. That's what I would lean towards and might as well change you r serpentine belt while your doing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IBS cable?