Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Appears that the Infinity only works on 6MT cars, while the ProEFI can work on SMG's. Realistically both the ProEFI & Infinity offer the same features (Anti-Lag from Dig & Roll, FlexFuel, Various Maps, Traction Control, Boost by Gear, etc), but the biggest differences is how they go about implementing them, calculating ability & speed, and the programmable safety features.

While reading about them the big (besides price) that's stood out is the safety features each one offers. ProEFI seems to have some very, very street car friendly stuff that can be added on to make sure the engine is protected from an avoidable disaster.

To each's own, like the OP stated the best thing to do is go with the platform your tuner best feels comfortable working with.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Why does the infinity not work on SMG?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lets see most if not all Lab22 cars are running the Infinity EMS with anything from 1000+, 900, 800, 600 hp cars. Multiple other shops are also running the Infinity. Pure Performance ran the Infinity on their car finishing Runner-Up in the E0 class at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Platte Forme AG just reset the Buttonwillow Limited RWD Record at the Super-Lap Battle-Global Time Attack.

How does that not speak for results?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    Lets see most if not all Lab22 cars are running the Infinity EMS with anything from 1000+, 900, 800, 600 hp cars. Multiple other shops are also running the Infinity. Pure Performance ran the Infinity on their car finishing Runner-Up in the E0 class at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Platte Forme AG just reset the Buttonwillow Limited RWD Record at the Super-Lap Battle-Global Time Attack.

How does that not speak for results?
    It does. There are some Pro EFI fanboys.

Clearly the Infinity is a very capable unit. I think both are very capable. That said, I haven't researched both extensively and would like to do a full breakdown. If I were to guess I'd pick the Infinity being the more advanced box as it is a full replacement that does not require the factory DME for anything and because it is newer.

I believe the size of the turbo and quality of the motor build are far more important factors for a turbo S54's performance than either the Infinity or the Pro EFI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Well I'm not sure, but the "standard" standalone features (boost by gear, anti lag from a stop) are probably from the Pectel & Motec camp. But ProEFI was pioneered true FlexFuel, the aftermarket TC via ignition, rolling anti-lag, VE tuning, and they also have some of the best safety features (like automatically adding fuel in lean/underperforming conditions, programmable safety limp modes, etc).

None of them are "bad" products, but with ProEFI you're getting a product that has several records on several platforms & at an excellent price point.
    ProEFI is a good system, but lets try and get things straight. They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around. Not taking away anything from ProEFI as for some people it is a good solution. Just trying to set things straight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

ProEFI is a good system, but lets try and get things straight. They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around. Not taking away anything from ProEFI as for some people it is a good solution. Just trying to set things straight.
    Do you know if the Infinity only works on 6MT cars? I'm trying to figure out why that would be as the SMG is mechanically the same thing except for hydraulic actuation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having said all of this I go back to something I always say. Go with whatever your Tuner is most familiar with. For instance if you are going to Saad its gonna be ProEFI. If you are going to Lab22 it will be the Infinity. The EMS no matter what you choose will only be as good as the tuner. If the tuner is not good on a platform I don't care what you have you won't be happy most of the time because he doesn't know how to use it to its full potential.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you know if the Infinity only works on 6MT cars? I'm trying to figure out why that would be as the SMG is mechanically the same thing except for hydraulic actuation.
    Yes as of now the Infinity only works on the 6MT cars. They have not done the firmware/calibration to work with the SMG as a stand alone unit without the factory computer. However you very well could wire the Infinity in as a parallel unit to the factory computer to control the tranny and the Infinity to run the engine. However I do not know of anyone right now that has done this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Yes as of now the Infinity only works on the 6MT cars. They have not done the firmware/calibration to work with the SMG as a stand alone unit without the factory computer. However you very well could wire the Infinity in as a parallel unit to the factory computer to control the tranny and the Infinity to run the engine. However I do not know of anyone right now that has done this.
    I don't see why they don't get this working with the SMG. That is kind of a big deal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around
    No they didn't develop all of those features from scratch, but they were one of the first to offer all of those options packaged together, and in a very affordable EMS. Motec & Pectel still don't offer FlexFuel tuning, and those are the two EMS' with the most race experience, R&D and support.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

No they didn't develop all of those features from scratch, but they were one of the first to offer all of those options packaged together, and in a very affordable EMS. Motec & Pectel still don't offer FlexFuel tuning, and those are the two EMS' with the most race experience, R&D and support.
    Flex fuel is something you want more on the street when you dump in E85 than when you are racing professionally and tuned for the fuel you know you will be using at all time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Flex fuel is something you want more on the street when you dump in E85 than when you are racing professionally and tuned for the fuel you know you will be using at all time.
    Well are we building street toys or purpose built race cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Well are we building street toys or purpose built race cars?
    I think my point is a differentiation between features for the street and for professional race teams. I think you will find more pros using Motec for example and for a reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, but you said pioneered. Pioneered would be the first to do it in an EMS.

Unfortunately a little bit of wrong information again. The Motec and Pectel can do flex fuel. They don't have a nice maps that are labeled Flex Fuel. However as I said earlier you just have to be familiar with the systems and tuning software to make this type of stuff available.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Specs on the motor & turbo setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Specs on the motor & turbo setup?
    Turbo is in the title. Beyond that, not many specs were given.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

However as I said earlier you just have to be familiar with the systems and tuning software to make this type of stuff available.
    I can't find any threads that support your claim that Motec offers FlexFuel... In fact I actually found several threads that state the M800 and M1 do not support FlexFuel sensors. It's not an issue with the Motec's processing ability, they just don't support it.

Now that doesn't mean you can't tune for E85/E98, it just means you can run whatever blend you want and let the EMS auto adjust.
    Last edited by benzy89; 05-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

ive got pro efi and I can say first hand it has saved my car from such thing as over boost to unplugged injector to a simple vacuum leak, I know if at some points i was running an aem it would have caused catastrophic failure if i did not realize the problems in time, the pro efi has many safety features that are key no matter what you have done to your car if its not protected... forget it may as well leave it on the side of the road

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nek0 Click here to enlarge
    I know if at some points i was running an aem it would have caused catastrophic failure if i did not realize the problems in time
    You are saying if you were running the AEM Infinity you would have suffered an engine failure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You are saying if you were running the AEM Infinity you would have suffered an engine failure?
    i would say that under my circumstances i would have damaged it much more beyond repair had i not had pro efi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nek0 Click here to enlarge
    i would say that under my circumstances i would have damaged it much more beyond repair had i not had pro efi
    You are basing this on the safety features of both? How do they differ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't find any threads that support your claim that Motec offers FlexFuel... In fact I actually found several threads that state the M800 and M1 do not support FlexFuel sensors. It's not an issue with the Motec's processing ability, they just don't support it.

Now that doesn't mean you can't tune for E85/E98, it just means you can run whatever blend you want and let the EMS auto adjust.
    Once again you have to know the software. Short answer you wire it into a digital input and adjust and make tables accordingly. It will not work on the M84 or older, but all new MX00 and M1 can do this no problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The new M1 series is badass!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

You are basing this on the safety features of both? How do they differ?
    It's one of integrated ProEFI's features, just needs to be combined with a fuel pressure sensor & tuned for. Here's a basic video demonstrating how it auto compensates to maintain the target Lambda

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My e46 m3 runs an AEM Infinity- it has been flawless thus far. The tuning was top notch- and needless to say, it feels smoother than stock even though the car puts down > 700whp on e85.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast