Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Appears that the Infinity only works on 6MT cars, while the ProEFI can work on SMG's. Realistically both the ProEFI & Infinity offer the same features (Anti-Lag from Dig & Roll, FlexFuel, Various Maps, Traction Control, Boost by Gear, etc), but the biggest differences is how they go about implementing them, calculating ability & speed, and the programmable safety features.


    While reading about them the big (besides price) that's stood out is the safety features each one offers. ProEFI seems to have some very, very street car friendly stuff that can be added on to make sure the engine is protected from an avoidable disaster.


    To each's own, like the OP stated the best thing to do is go with the platform your tuner best feels comfortable working with.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Why does the infinity not work on SMG?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lets see most if not all Lab22 cars are running the Infinity EMS with anything from 1000+, 900, 800, 600 hp cars. Multiple other shops are also running the Infinity. Pure Performance ran the Infinity on their car finishing Runner-Up in the E0 class at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Platte Forme AG just reset the Buttonwillow Limited RWD Record at the Super-Lap Battle-Global Time Attack.

    How does that not speak for results?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    Lets see most if not all Lab22 cars are running the Infinity EMS with anything from 1000+, 900, 800, 600 hp cars. Multiple other shops are also running the Infinity. Pure Performance ran the Infinity on their car finishing Runner-Up in the E0 class at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Platte Forme AG just reset the Buttonwillow Limited RWD Record at the Super-Lap Battle-Global Time Attack.

    How does that not speak for results?
    It does. There are some Pro EFI fanboys.

    Clearly the Infinity is a very capable unit. I think both are very capable. That said, I haven't researched both extensively and would like to do a full breakdown. If I were to guess I'd pick the Infinity being the more advanced box as it is a full replacement that does not require the factory DME for anything and because it is newer.

    I believe the size of the turbo and quality of the motor build are far more important factors for a turbo S54's performance than either the Infinity or the Pro EFI.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Well I'm not sure, but the "standard" standalone features (boost by gear, anti lag from a stop) are probably from the Pectel & Motec camp. But ProEFI was pioneered true FlexFuel, the aftermarket TC via ignition, rolling anti-lag, VE tuning, and they also have some of the best safety features (like automatically adding fuel in lean/underperforming conditions, programmable safety limp modes, etc).

    None of them are "bad" products, but with ProEFI you're getting a product that has several records on several platforms & at an excellent price point.
    ProEFI is a good system, but lets try and get things straight. They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around. Not taking away anything from ProEFI as for some people it is a good solution. Just trying to set things straight.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    ProEFI is a good system, but lets try and get things straight. They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around. Not taking away anything from ProEFI as for some people it is a good solution. Just trying to set things straight.
    Do you know if the Infinity only works on 6MT cars? I'm trying to figure out why that would be as the SMG is mechanically the same thing except for hydraulic actuation.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Having said all of this I go back to something I always say. Go with whatever your Tuner is most familiar with. For instance if you are going to Saad its gonna be ProEFI. If you are going to Lab22 it will be the Infinity. The EMS no matter what you choose will only be as good as the tuner. If the tuner is not good on a platform I don't care what you have you won't be happy most of the time because he doesn't know how to use it to its full potential.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you know if the Infinity only works on 6MT cars? I'm trying to figure out why that would be as the SMG is mechanically the same thing except for hydraulic actuation.
    Yes as of now the Infinity only works on the 6MT cars. They have not done the firmware/calibration to work with the SMG as a stand alone unit without the factory computer. However you very well could wire the Infinity in as a parallel unit to the factory computer to control the tranny and the Infinity to run the engine. However I do not know of anyone right now that has done this.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    Yes as of now the Infinity only works on the 6MT cars. They have not done the firmware/calibration to work with the SMG as a stand alone unit without the factory computer. However you very well could wire the Infinity in as a parallel unit to the factory computer to control the tranny and the Infinity to run the engine. However I do not know of anyone right now that has done this.
    I don't see why they don't get this working with the SMG. That is kind of a big deal.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    They didn't pioneer FlexFuel, aftermarket TC via ignition, VE tuning or safety features. They may have done rolling anti-lag in a clean and simple interface, but even that has been around
    No they didn't develop all of those features from scratch, but they were one of the first to offer all of those options packaged together, and in a very affordable EMS. Motec & Pectel still don't offer FlexFuel tuning, and those are the two EMS' with the most race experience, R&D and support.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    No they didn't develop all of those features from scratch, but they were one of the first to offer all of those options packaged together, and in a very affordable EMS. Motec & Pectel still don't offer FlexFuel tuning, and those are the two EMS' with the most race experience, R&D and support.
    Flex fuel is something you want more on the street when you dump in E85 than when you are racing professionally and tuned for the fuel you know you will be using at all time.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Flex fuel is something you want more on the street when you dump in E85 than when you are racing professionally and tuned for the fuel you know you will be using at all time.
    Well are we building street toys or purpose built race cars?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Well are we building street toys or purpose built race cars?
    I think my point is a differentiation between features for the street and for professional race teams. I think you will find more pros using Motec for example and for a reason.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    No they didn't develop all of those features from scratch, but they were one of the first to offer all of those options packaged together, and in a very affordable EMS. Motec & Pectel still don't offer FlexFuel tuning, and those are the two EMS' with the most race experience, R&D and support.
    Yes, but you said pioneered. Pioneered would be the first to do it in an EMS.

    Unfortunately a little bit of wrong information again. The Motec and Pectel can do flex fuel. They don't have a nice maps that are labeled Flex Fuel. However as I said earlier you just have to be familiar with the systems and tuning software to make this type of stuff available.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    893
    Rep Points
    440.2
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Specs on the motor & turbo setup?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Specs on the motor & turbo setup?
    Turbo is in the title. Beyond that, not many specs were given.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rtype16 Click here to enlarge
    However as I said earlier you just have to be familiar with the systems and tuning software to make this type of stuff available.
    I can't find any threads that support your claim that Motec offers FlexFuel... In fact I actually found several threads that state the M800 and M1 do not support FlexFuel sensors. It's not an issue with the Motec's processing ability, they just don't support it.

    Now that doesn't mean you can't tune for E85/E98, it just means you can run whatever blend you want and let the EMS auto adjust.
    Last edited by benzy89; 05-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    46.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ive got pro efi and I can say first hand it has saved my car from such thing as over boost to unplugged injector to a simple vacuum leak, I know if at some points i was running an aem it would have caused catastrophic failure if i did not realize the problems in time, the pro efi has many safety features that are key no matter what you have done to your car if its not protected... forget it may as well leave it on the side of the road

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nek0 Click here to enlarge
    I know if at some points i was running an aem it would have caused catastrophic failure if i did not realize the problems in time
    You are saying if you were running the AEM Infinity you would have suffered an engine failure?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    46.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You are saying if you were running the AEM Infinity you would have suffered an engine failure?
    i would say that under my circumstances i would have damaged it much more beyond repair had i not had pro efi

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nek0 Click here to enlarge
    i would say that under my circumstances i would have damaged it much more beyond repair had i not had pro efi
    You are basing this on the safety features of both? How do they differ?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Points
    10.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I can't find any threads that support your claim that Motec offers FlexFuel... In fact I actually found several threads that state the M800 and M1 do not support FlexFuel sensors. It's not an issue with the Motec's processing ability, they just don't support it.

    Now that doesn't mean you can't tune for E85/E98, it just means you can run whatever blend you want and let the EMS auto adjust.
    Once again you have to know the software. Short answer you wire it into a digital input and adjust and make tables accordingly. It will not work on the M84 or older, but all new MX00 and M1 can do this no problem.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Points
    2,215.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The new M1 series is badass!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT


    Click here to enlarge


    E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!


    Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

    Click here to enlarge

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You are basing this on the safety features of both? How do they differ?
    It's one of integrated ProEFI's features, just needs to be combined with a fuel pressure sensor & tuned for. Here's a basic video demonstrating how it auto compensates to maintain the target Lambda

    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My e46 m3 runs an AEM Infinity- it has been flawless thus far. The tuning was top notch- and needless to say, it feels smoother than stock even though the car puts down > 700whp on e85.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •