Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Very true... They should get back into F1 as well so they can develop Lightweight turbo track cars Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like they are going to from what I'm reading in the F1 rumor stuff. I like their move here too...sit out the first horrible year where no one knows who will lead; figure out the competition, then attack. If they don't want to field a whole team, they could also just be an engine supplier initially, but it seems like the damn cars are so complex now, that it simply won't be feasible to design an engine without making it work in the car itself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You forgot San Francisco hippies. They'll eat this garbage up.
    Most of the SF hippies have moved to Oregon or Hawaii (if they cashed out). SF is now full of high tech googleits and venture cap's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

This got me curious so I checked how much this will cost here.
    $69k!!!!
    And I thought the Volt was overpriced at $59k
    Can only imagine how much a Tesla will be when they finally launch here.

I don't mind the idea of an electric car for a daily but they are still at crack prices for what you get.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    This got me curious so I checked how much this will cost here.
    $69k!!!!
    And I thought the Volt was overpriced at $59k
    where the hell do you guys get your info from.. volt is starting 35k and i3 is starting 41k..
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    where the hell do you guys get your info from.. volt is starting 35k and i3 is starting 41k..
    My prices are in Australian Dollars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    No way... They invested $2 billion making the i3, only to sell 20,000 cars a year. It wouldn't cost anywhere close to make a lightweight m3 or drop a s65 in the z4.
    I'm gonna say this again.
    This is not ever going to happen with upcoming European legislation.
    BMW is forced to make a part of their produced cars as green as possible to be allowed to make high performance cars after 2020.
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but this is what all European car manufacturers will have to comply to.

You WILL see cars become as light as possible within a few years.
    You WILL see more lower stream performance cars (beside the P1, LaFerrari, 918) going Hybrid within a few years. And probably switch to turbo where they are now NA.
    These developments are not all bad.

The Electric-only cars though, are a dead end IMO.
    The charge time and distance limit will kill this car unless you use it for city transportation only.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    BMW is forced to make a part of their produced cars as green as possible to be allowed to make high performance cars after 2020.
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but this is what all European car manufacturers will have to comply to.

You WILL see more lower stream performance cars (beside the P1, LaFerrari, 918) going Hybrid within a few years. And probably switch to turbo where they are now NA.

The charge time and distance limit will kill this car unless you use it for city transportation only.
    Your 100% right, this is why everyone is moving to turbo engines, but my argument was to make those cars now, before the new regulations. Kinda like how they did with the 1M. It would have been nice for them to put a s65 in the z4 before it was fazed out or a "lightweight" version of the e92 m3 but whatever.....

One thing i'm not clear on....with the new fuel / emission regulations in europe and the us, are companies like VW able to use thier entire line up (audi, vw, porsche etc.) for fuel economy/emission averages or just each name plate? This will put bmw at a huge disadvantage since they are a relatively small company compared to GM, Ford, VW group, etc.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like they are going to from what I'm reading in the F1 rumor stuff. I like their move here too...sit out the first horrible year where no one knows who will lead; figure out the competition, then attack. If they don't want to field a whole team, they could also just be an engine supplier initially, but it seems like the damn cars are so complex now, that it simply won't be feasible to design an engine without making it work in the car itself.
    Ahhh i really hope they do! I hope they come with a complete car. I'm really getting into F1 the last two years and just purchased a package to see every race. I would love to be able to route for bmw rather than mercedes. I like watching lewis hamilton dominate and the drama going on with red bull.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The quota are for concerns so the VolksWagen group keeps Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and the fast Audi's afloat with their UPs, Polo's and A1's.
    BMW really needs the i- brand.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge

I agree with all of this. Very accurate. Also, Ferrari just released the turbo California and from what I hear it is in massive demand in Cali. So this is already trickling out to mainstream models from performance focused companies like Ferrari. Hopefully the hybrid cars will mask the downsides of turbos. McLaren calls this "torque fill" - I like the term.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The turbo California is sick. No more making fun of that car.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12