Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Active Autowerke Gen 1 Level 2 SC

Hi guys, was wondering if I could pick the collective brain:

Saw a couple of 1st gen level 2 AA SC kits for sale and was wondering what your thoughts are. Seems like they can be had for cheap. ASSUMING you can get a low mileage, excellent condition kit, is it a smart decision?

Im a believer of you get what you pay for but at the same time just because a newer version comes out, doesn't mean the previous version suddenly doesn't do its job. I'm definitely on a shoestring budget so trying to wring as much bang for buck as I can. I understand the whole argument that it's not as nice or as new or produces as much power as the newer kits but for a grand or two less, seems like I could live with 10-15% less power. It's not a track car, just DD. I just wanna make sure it's not less reliable than the newer kits. Don't wanna spend a grand or two less just to have a much higher risk of engine failure(I know on the increased risk with any mod but was wondering if it's more with this gen kit). Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graynor Click here to enlarge
    ASSUMING you can get a low mileage, excellent condition kit, is it a smart decision?
    Low mileage doesn't even really matter much. If you can get it for a good price most definitely, why not?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graynor Click here to enlarge
    Im a believer of you get what you pay for but at the same time just because a newer version comes out, doesn't mean the previous version suddenly doesn't do its job. I'm definitely on a shoestring budget so trying to wring as much bang for buck as I can. I understand the whole argument that it's not as nice or as new or produces as much power as the newer kits but for a grand or two less, seems like I could live with 10-15% less power. It's not a track car, just DD. I just wanna make sure it's not less reliable than the newer kits. Don't wanna spend a grand or two less just to have a much higher risk of engine failure(I know on the increased risk with any mod but was wondering if it's more with this gen kit). Thanks in advance.
    You aren't buying a car here just a kit. If you are concerned, talk to Active about it. Have them even inspect the kit if you like.

If it's a good price I don't see the problem and you always have the option of upgrading it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky: thanks for the reply! I am thinking the same but with 2 bad reviewers, i started to be wary for this kit specifically. I did call Active and they seemed turned off once I said it's used. Don't blame them since they don't wanna be liable for an unknown kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Call Active back again, see if you can get the new Gen 2 hardware (Rotrex, any other updated bits, etc). By then it might be more worthwhile to buy brand new, but doesn't hurt to find out.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I can but I believe its a 3-4k cost. That would be more than a used ess625 kit. I'm gonna keep the first gen for now and upgrade down the road. Just wanna make sure i have not missed a glaring reason to skip the gen 1 AA kits(as far as safety/reliability is concerned)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are you paying for this 1st gen if you don't mind me asking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    4500(no meth as i didn't want to deal with it) I have a different opportunity for an ESS625 for 6000(don't really have the cash for that though, especially if you add the tune..)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You aren't going to beat $4500.